“To Park or Grand?”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 9, 2011

This is the question when you have to choose between the two Hyatts in Melbourne. The Grand is in a better location for CBD dining and shopping but the Park is closer to Southbank and the casino. The Grand and Park both have totally fabulous executive lounges with amazing views. The Park has a much better spa than the Grand but I like the Grand’s kitchen much better. The décor at the Park is more elegant and subdued but the Grand is very glam. The rooms are possibly better at the Park but the views ate superior at the Grand. What to do?. Two nights at both of course!. And join the Hyatt Gold passport Club. It is the best rewards program around.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Moo628
Write a ReviewReviews (4,476)

Reviewed October 8, 2011

The Grand Hyatt was refurbished and redeveloped about 3 years ago is a very good 5 star business hotel.

Fantastic lobby and public areas, great restaurants and the rooms are very nicely appointed.

Excellent 5 star service

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank World T
Reviewed October 6, 2011

My daughter and I spent 3 days at the Grand Hyatt in Melbourne. The room was gorgeous with banquet seating and a large round table, wonderfully comfortable beds and a great view. The standout was the buffet breakfast which was just incredible - waffles, pancakes, eggs etc made to order, delicious imported cold meats and cheeses, berries and fruits, pastry and bread selection. The service was very good too and we were given our room 3 hours before check-in which was really helpful. A wonderful stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SydneyJW
GrandHyattMelbourne, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Thank you for taking to time to share a review of your recent stay with us. We are so pleased you enjoyed our new guest room and buffet breakfast. May we suggest you also try our Sunday Brunch, which offers even more dishes for you to try! We hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

We went there with a couple if ladies for a weekend away and arrived a bit early for the check in time but the staff was so nice to check us in early!!
The room was excellent and very spacious , they already prepared all we asked for even the extra bed.
The room view was stunning and the atmosphere of the whole hotel was beautiful.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Bib74
GrandHyattMelbourne, Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Thank you for your lovely kind comments in relation to our hotel. We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that we met your expectations. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

I obtained a last minute booking on the internet, with an attractive rate (for this hotel) of around $250. On check-in, I declined to supply an e-mail address, saying also that I did not want any e-mails from the hotel and they could contact me on the phone number if needs be (more of that later).

On entry to my 'Grand King' room there was an overpowering musty smell. Was this going to be 'cheap-ish and nasty' ? However as I had to dash out to a meeting, I left that issue. When I returned, the odour had mostly dissipated (but not quite). Not enough of a problem to ask for the hassle of changing rooms.

Then I noticed that there was no desk to do any work. A lounge end-table and a bench, but no work table. That was annoying. And internet was expensive. OK, its a Hyatt, but overcharging is overcharging.

Other than the above the room - bed, bathroom, lighting, aircon - was fine.

Next morning I dashed down for a simple continental breakfast (toast, juice, coffee and cerial) and was soaked $30 for it. OK again its a Hyatt, but that's insulting.

On check-out I mentioned the musty smell in the room (as a maintenance issue, not a complaint) and also that the breakfast charge had not made it on to the bill I was given. The check-out person immediately waived the breakfast charge, which was appreciated.

Later that day I received an e-mail from the hotel saying that I might receive a survey from the hotel etc etc - in spite of the fact that I declined to give my e-mail on checking in, (they got it from the internet booking I made) and specifically said I did not want to receive any e-mails . I replied with a complaint about receiving the e-mail and got back what seemed suspiciously like a facetious reply.

Even with the cheap-ish rate I wouldn't return.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Michael076
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Felt like the overall was fine. But at $29 a day for internet, you would expect for it to actually be useable. Also, just sounded like people kept trying to unlock my door or something while i was staying. Very noisy room. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were nice. The view was also nice.

Room Tip: Try to get one away from the elevators, but get one with a good view of the city.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
GrandHyattMelbourne, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2011

Thank you for sharing your comments. Our WiFi access is designed to work throughout the hotel; if you experienced difficulty during your stay, please do feel free to contact our team at the hotel directly with specific details so we may try and rectify this. It was pleasing to note you enjoyed our custom made beds and Melbourne views and we hope you will consider returning to our hotel so that we may try and provide a more memorable stay.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

My partner and I were having a night out in the city so we booked a night at the Hyatt. I paid a bit extra to stay on a floor with a view on the 22nd floor.

Well, it was worth it. Great views of melbourne, king size bed and a great relaxing weekend. The hotel is as I would expect from a hyatt, clean, tidy and well maintained.

Parking is a bit pricy but the location of the hotel was perfect for hitting a few bars and clubs.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple