“Horrible”

Best Western Riverside Apartments
Ranked #130 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel, the first room we had, there was absolutely no hot water. After asking, we got transfered to another room, to which they weren't to happy about, we had to walk outside and down an alley way, meanwhile I just got out of my freezing shower and was in a robe.. the second room was okay, but we had absolutely no sleep as we had young people next door, yelling and screaming as they were drunk.. We had a horrible stay. We won't be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Riverside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Below is a copy of the response emailed to you the day we received your complaint:

Dear ...,

Thank you for your email regarding your recent stay with us.

Firstly my apologies for the disruptions during your visit. The hot water service turned out to be broken and there was no indication of a break down until you informed reception. I’m glad you were transferred to a different apartment but I’m very sorry your neighbours turned out to be rude and noisy. We have a strict policy of maintaining a peaceful environment for our guests and had we known your stay was being disturbed we would have contacted the offenders immediately.

We have banned the noisy guests from staying with us again.

Reception does screen bookings and many potential guests are refused entry but on this occasion we were fooled. Over the years guests of all ages have been refused entry.

Once again I’m very sorry your stay was disrupted more than once.

In addition to the above I would like to mention you and your husband were upgraded to the best available apartment. The upgrade was dealt with by reception within minutes of you informing us the hot water service was faulty. Unfortunately this occured in the evening. We are not located in an alley and guests are not required to enter the building via an alleyway. Our reception staff are here to assist guests 24 hours, 7 days a week.

We hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Riverside Apartments

Reviewed December 15, 2013

A friend put me on to this place and I his description was it as a “little gem”. I have to agree as it was great value for money and exactly as they describe it. Access to Melbourne is right outside the door. It’s very secure and I plan on staying again. Being an apartment is great as you can cook meals and save that little bit of cash to head out on the town. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment which was very spacious. Friends had a two bedroom one at was enormous. The only downside is you are near the King Street precent and in saying that we didn’t hear a thing on a Saturday night.

Room Tip: Head down to Flinder St to the Insignia Bar. Great atmosphere.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Riverside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a warm review about your stay at Best Western Riverside Apartments. We love to hear guests describing our apartments with affection so thank you for sharing your experience with others.
We hope to see you and your friends again soon.

Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

For 2 couples we booked a 2 bedroom apartment on the 16 floor. The place was clean and tidy with a very very small balcony. Apart from the clubs down in the dingy alley way but that didn't really bother us. The room was $350 for 1 night and we had to pay $25 for parking for 1 night!!!!!!! That is just a joke. The worse part and what I would consider the most important part of accommodation was the bed! The kind bed was so so so so soooo bad I found myself up at 4am putting as many blankets I could find on the mattress to make it a bit softer, it was as if I was sleeping on a piece on concrete. For the price I expect a comfy bed. Won't say I will be back nearly because of the bed.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Riverside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for reviewing Best Western Riverside Apartments.
We charge $25 per night for a car space which is a reasonable amount for a CBD car space. Many hotels in the CBD do charge more for a car space.
I'm sorry your bed was not comfortable for you. We have 24 hour reception so please contact us any time during your stay and we will attempt to make your night's sleep a more comfortable one.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

2 night stay where we needed two bedrooms as we were 3 adults. Location on Flinders St is handy for most things, tram outside for MCG, Rod Laver Arena etc. main shopping is about a 10 min walk.
Location is close to many night time attractions so is quite noisy - it's not the best place to be at night however, being close to King Street. The trains start running early and finish late and you get quite a lot of noise from the railway line which is situated across the road.
Apartment was tired - furniture was old and quite grubby with a torn sofa. Bed was hard and bowed in the middle. The apartment was clean however and towels and bed lined were changed daily.
Internet is available but at $2 per hour it's expensive. There is a safe deposit but this is located at reception which is very inconvenient in this day an age.
In summary, unless you need two bedrooms and prefer an apartment to hotel then you might prefer a hotel room. It's average accommodation at an average price.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Riverside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Best Western Riverside Apartments.
Your comments are appreciated and I will pass on the details to our staff.
We hope to see you all again soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Pluses: Handy location - 1/2 block to trams; the apartment was VERY spacious, clean and comfortable; nice decor; well-equipped kitchen; nice staff; good block out curtains, TV worked fine.

Minuses: heater in room was busted and even 'tho they said they'd fix it the next day, the maintenance guy didn't (he came by to fix the light, which wasn't busted). So 24 hours after in a cold room, I'd requested the staff moved me to a different location - which they did and moved me to an upgraded room. Quilt cover had make-up stains (however, the staff were able to swap it for a stain-free one). Stairs but no ramp in foyer so not disability or heavy-luggage friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Riverside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Firstly my apologies for the air conditioning not working. A mechanic was called but was unable to fix the air con unit during your stay.
I'm pleased you were upgraded to another apartment. We try our best to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Have stayed at this location over a dozen times now and really find it to be a reassuring stay. The rooms are always clean & tidy , the staff always attentive and any problem is normally attended to straight away. In all this time I think we have caused more problems than the Hotel !
It might not be the cheapest rate but all the basics are covered and from early check-in to late check-out they try to be as amenable as possible. I needed help with the Melbourne Train System and it was no problem , message left with written directions to get me there , little touches make the place. The Penthouse's are the pick for when you are in a large group and you need to book early !! The location is perfect , opposite Crown Casino, the Aquarium , with Spencer St (southern x) and Flinders St Stations in easy walking distance as is Federation Square and the Tram terminus. The only thing the Hotel can't organise is the normally crappy weather , you can experience everything from an Artic Gale to a Saharan Blustery !! All in 1 day
That's Melbourne Bro !!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for writing such a warm review of Best Western Riverside Apartments.
It's always great to hear guests return to our apartments because they feel welcome and their stay is consistently comfortable. We look forward to greeting you again.

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant apartment 5 mins walk to centre of city, very friendly, helped us with directions and general advice, very clean, tea and coffee provided, minded luggage for us, I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: September 2013
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Riverside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you for your review of Best Western Riverside Apartments.
So pleased to hear you had such a good stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us. Thanks again.