“great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 156 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Just spent the weekend in Melbourne in Riverside Apts. Have stayed here previously and always try to stay here whenever we are in Melbourne. We stayed in a 2 bedroom on the 16th floor overlooking the river. Views were great always something to see. The apartment was clean and modern. There was no street noise keeping us awake, beds were comfy. Staff were very helpful with all of our requests. My son had early morning training so needed to get his car out of car space and was given a spot that was very convenient for him. Overall great apartments that had everything in we needed. Definately recomend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at Best Western Riverside Apartments.
I'm glad you had such a good time and we hope to see you and your family again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Indonesian first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed in the Annex and took advantage of the reduced rate due to lift repairs. The apartment was very comfortable and while it was hard work lugging a too full case up the stairs, the overall location was fantastic given I was attending a conference at the Crowne complex. I'd be very happy to stay again but suspect the price might be prohibitive once the lift is repaired.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the very low rates while the lift was being repaired. Our rates will remain very competetive so please consider staying with us again next time you stay in Melbourne
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I shared a two bedroom apartment with 3 adult family members. The check in was good although there was a little confusion over the parking but was quickly sorted out. We were very impressed when we walked in the room. It was spacious, very clean, amazing view from the 15th floor and everything you could need for a longer stay. We couldn't close the door in the second bedroom because of the bed, which could be unacceptable for some occupants.
We were able to catch up on our laundry after 3 days on the Great Ocean Road, but beware of the hotel supplied laundry detergent - unfortunately we ruined my son's cargo shorts and my jeans, which we only discoverd a few days later. We had problems with the in room internet service, speed was vertually non existent and I tried to use the hotel computer in the lobby after midnight because I had some business to finish, but the screen was locked and I went to the front desk and called for attention but seems there was nobody around. I went back upstairs and called by phone and the night clerk answered and I took a new password and username but it was still way too slow. I complained next morning on checkout and instead of being charged for 3 hours internet I was only charged for one.
Loved the location, close to South Bank and walking distance to the shopping area and would stay here again if I was to visit Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

I'm glad you found the apartment comfortable and clean. The views from some apartments are terrific. I'm sorry you had problems with the internet. We have asked our IT guy to correct this problem. The free internet in the lobby should be up to speed for your next stay.
We hope to see you again soon.
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment. In total there were 6 adults and 3 children (2 of whom were in portacots). The apartment fit us all comfortably (1 single bed was in the living area which we did not mind). That apartments were spacious with 2 bathrooms and kitchenette. The location would be hard to beat and we would definately stay again with friends or family groups.

The only downsides were that the apartment is upstairs which may not suit everyone (especially if you bring you're own portacot or have heavy luggage). Staff were helpful by putting a child safety gate at the top of the stairs as they knew we had small children however even with the gate there is some risk with babies crawling or children climbing on the railing around the stairs area. The gaps are very wide and our baby could possibly crawl under it if we didn't watch him all the time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your thoughts regarding your recent stay.
I'm glad you had a terrific time and enjoyed the spacious apartment.
The child proof gate and perspex sheets over the railings make the apartment more child friendly and we are always looking at new ways of improving the comfort of guests so thank you for your feedback.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I booked the riverside apartments through Hotwire, so we didn't even know where we were staying until the morning of check in. I booked the hotel based on the four star rating and amenities. What a mistake. I am a pretty reasonable person and don't ask for much in a hotel, except for the staff to be friendly and the room to be clean. Unfortunately I did not see either.
The room was very shabby with rips in the sofa cushion covers. The carpets had stains and there was even a black foot print on one of the pillows. The windows were filthy, which is understandable when you're on the 15th floor.However, I didn't expect the windows out to the balcony to be covered in grime and bird poo. The room needed a good clean and gave you icky feeling. When I spoke to the staff about the state of the room, they simply shrugged and said they would pass it onto management. They were very disinterested and rude. I thought parking was included in the room rate and when I enquired about this, the staff member scoffed and laughed. She explained it was $25 per night and good luck finding something cheaper in the city. Although the hotel was in a good location, I would not stay here again. There are lots of other options in Melbourne and I would advise using them!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tanya P
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for your feed back regarding your recent stay.

My apologies for your feeling our apartments did not live up to your expectations. I know our staff work hard to make our guests feel comfortable during their time with us.

I hope you will allow us a second chance to prove your stay was an exception rather than the rule.

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed in the Annex, got a great rate as the life is being repaired, and so you have to use the stairs and come in through a grotty entrance. All good, as this was what was advertised.

Excellent for location, value, cleanliness and service. Quality of rooms is average and need a refresh, but wasn't expecting more.

Quite noisy, we were woken up at 2am with a rubbish truck (or something). The aircon was very noisy and couldn't sleep with it on. Desperately needs servicing as it was 30 degrees.

Bed very soft, a bit tired too.

But, as before, exactly as advertised and didn't expect more at the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for posting comments regarding your recent stay with us.
We hope to have the lift up and working by mid March but in the meantime please take advantage again of the great rates for these 1 bedroom apartments.
Marlboro, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I am an American visiting her sister and her husband who live in Victoria. We are all in our late 60's. She planned a few days for us in central Melbourne and booked 4 nights for us. My sister was told the room had been newly refurbished. But the furniture was shabby and one of the bedrooms was almost a closet. The windows did not open and things in the bathroom were broken.
However, if this was the only problem, we may have remained. The main problem was that our car was a few inches taller than the recommended height and we could not fit in the car park. We were told we had to find alternate parking which was a very inconvenient distance away. The cost for this parking was $100 dollars nightly. Worse than this, although they allowed us to pull into the service entrance, there was no one, or even a dolly to help us lug or luggage to the room. My brother-in-law was asked to move quickly out of the area. When we politely asked for a phone book to help us relocate to a hotel that could accommodate us, we were told none was available.
The final indignity came as my brother in law checked out. The service door was locked shut and we had to walk a further distance with our luggage with much hardship and difficulty. My sister was embarrassed with our treatment. I was shocked that there was never a thought or at last a word of concession toward us. From a business standpoint, it was ridiculous. Fortunately we found superior accommodations in the Grand Mecure apartments, where the staff was friendly, helpful, and author asking, helped carry or luggage.
Zero stars for zero performance at the Riverside.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank smiseel
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for posting comments regarding your arrival at Best Western Riverside Apartments.

Unfortunately your 4WD with high roof rack was unable to safely access either our car park or the public car park with our building.
Both car parks have a standard vechicle height limit. High vehicles attempting to enter pose a real threat to public safety as ceiling fire sprinklers when knocked will automatically flood the area and call the fire brigade.
A high vehicle car park located 100 meteres away was suggested as an alternative. You chose not to pay their fees or the potentail council parking fine had you left your vechicle where you parked it.
During check-in your vehicle was parked in our hotel driveway for a considerable time, at least 2 hours and other drivers were inconvienced. Our staff asked you politely to please move your car more than once.

We regret you chose not to stay with us overnight and hope your holiday in Australia was positive overall.