“3-Star Hotel in Great Location”

Grand Chancellor Melbourne
Ranked #99 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The room was average but clean, nothing really special. The thermostat never really worked as the temperature fluctuated from the Arctic to Ethiopia!

The morning breakfast was pretty good and the location of the hotel was excellent - right in the heart of the CBD.

For business travel, this hotel was good enough and nothing too bad to complain about. However, if you're on vacation, I'd recommend somewhere else more attractive.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank nyujay2010
Write a ReviewReviews (2,422)

Reviewed August 9, 2010

My partner and I stayed there for three nights in August 2010. Our room had recently been renovated and was clean, comfortable and quiet - I had requested a quiet room. The hotel's location is convenient, close to the Greek precinct in Lonsdale Street, Chinatown and Melbourne Central. The reception staff were helpful and the buffet breakfast was adequate. Only one complaint: a phone message was not delivered to my room for several hours, by which time it was too late. I have stayed there before and intend to return.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2010

As others have also said, we expected lovely rooms and amenities like the ones in the pictures on the internet. DONT expect anything like that!
We went over for a relaxing week to see the sights of Melbourne as well as go to the Bledisloe Cup match, and were pretty disappointed with the quality of the room, and of the terrible cleaning standards.
The room we stayed in was 1204, and had been renovated but was still very small for an executive room. With 2 people in the room it did feel like you were living on top of each other at times.
The balcony is about 1m square and not really worth a mention, as its too small for more than 1 person to stand on, and faces a brick wall anyway.
Coffee table is too small and wobbly to even put coffee cups on.
TV signal is rubbish on some of the channels.
The aircon/heat control didnt seem to work very well as it seemed to stay at the same temperature regardless of setting, and if you put it between settings made a loud noise like banging in the wall. Room was too warm to sleep in comfortably most nights.
Bathroom was ok, although shower glass was too short and resulted in alot of water on the floor whenever you showered.
Bathroom fan not connected to light switch either so runs constantly and is quite noisy at night time.
Now the worst part - CLEANING!
Overall very very unimpressed!!!
The only things that were done every day were bed was made, towels replaced and bin emptyed.
Toilet and bathroom were cleaned twice in 8 days. We had to ask for toilet paper twice as they didnt replace the 1/4 roll on the holder.
Mirror, basin and toilet were untouched for 6 days which i find unacceptable in a hotel that calls itself 4 star and charges $150 a night to stay there.
Other thing which really annoyed me was that the water glasses and wine glasses were only cleaned once during the stay, which was disappointing as wine glasses would have been used alot more :(
Really housekeeping needs a rocket as there is no consistency and they have no idea what they are doing.
Was also amused to see our bed and towels were still done even when one day we put up the do not make up room sign. Strange.
Overall definitely not 4 star hotel, and stay here at your own peril.
My wife and i wont be back thats for sure

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We would like to thank the Grand Chancellor for a great stay, there service there was great and the breakfast great value. The hotel is undergoing some renevations at the moment so you do bump into tradies in the lift. Not once did we hear any construction noise. Top Marks, we come from Perth quite reguarly for shopping and footy and will consider staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We booked online and the photos looked good...... but when we arrived the tiny room with the "balconey" was awful. There were dirty towels left in the room and the tiny bathroom was musty, and did not have an exhaust fan. The Balcony was luck to fit 2 people standing and looked straght onto a brick wall. We tried to use the roof top pool but after waiting 20 mins for a towel we didn;t bother.
The only good thing was the buffet breakfast

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2010

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE. How this hotel could rate 4 stars is beyond me. Booked into what was decribed as a fully renovated room and after seeing the pictures posted on the internet I thought my wife and I were going to have an enjoyable experience.
I got the surprise of my life when we entered our assigned room to find the old furnishing that realy should be in a museum some where. Toilet continually ran, kettle in the room didn't work. Banging noise coming from the walls, which sounded like workman desparately trying to stop this place from collasping in on itself. Powerpoint not secured to the wall properly. If this is a fully renovated room says I to the wife I'd hate to see one that hasn't been fixed up yet.
Feeling dumbfounded at this point I call reception and ask for a new kettle to be bought up to our room so that we can at least make a cup of tea. 20 minutes later one arrives and I make the little man aware of the constant banging coming from the walls and wonder how we are to get any sleep at all in this house of horrors. After visiting reception myself I'm told by the duty manager that although the hotel is full they will try and relocate us to another room. Hmm I wonder. I did get a free bottle of house red for my trouble and we are moved to another room. Unfortunately this is not much better then the first. Curtain hanging from the rail and wouldn't close properly. I had to climb on a chair and secure it myself so that we could sleep without light coming in through the windows. The balcony had cigerette butts and empty muffin wrappers, I guess left over from the last occupant. My wife decided to take a bath and we find that the plug doesn't fit the bath and all the water drains out. Again a 20 minute wait to get a replacement plug.
The finish in the rooms is teribble, The mirror in the bathroom had paint on it and the grout was cracked and dirty. No spare toilet roll's in the room.
I don't think I can remember being so happy to actually leave a hotel and wish that I had been made aware fo these reveiws prior to ever stepping foot into this place. I'd love to know who rated this hotel and ask that this person be allocated the rooms that we where given. I bet they'd quickly change their rating.
I must admit that the staff at the front desk are nice. They should all get pay rises and free councelling for what they have to put up with working at the "GRAND" Chancellor. Nothing GRAND about this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Our room was dirty, spots and stains on the carpet, hairs in the bath and the telephone book encrusted with dust.
The front steps of the hotel never seem to have been once swept during our stay.
A room service hamburger I ordered had another egg stuck on the underside of the dome, from another persons meal?
On another occassion we witnessed a receptionist having a screaming row with a taxi driver on the front steps of the hotel.
Only redeeming thing was a meal I had in the dining room which was good.
I think its a hotel getting its 4 star rating only because of the existence of a pool on the roof.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple