“Overated not a 4 star hotel standard”

Grand Chancellor Melbourne
Ranked #97 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Nice, France
“Overated not a 4 star hotel standard”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Our room was dirty, spots and stains on the carpet, hairs in the bath and the telephone book encrusted with dust.
The front steps of the hotel never seem to have been once swept during our stay.
A room service hamburger I ordered had another egg stuck on the underside of the dome, from another persons meal?
On another occassion we witnessed a receptionist having a screaming row with a taxi driver on the front steps of the hotel.
Only redeeming thing was a meal I had in the dining room which was good.
I think its a hotel getting its 4 star rating only because of the existence of a pool on the roof.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Borme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
England
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We stayed in the Grand Chancellor for 3 nights in April 2010. The hotel is rated as a 4 star hotel but the room we stayed in was nearer a 3 star than a 4 star. The dust was thick under the TV shelf. You had to have the lights on even during the day due to the limited natural daylight as the room was between two buildings and the view was of the wall of the building next door. No one mentioned that refurbishment was happening at the hotel and that we would be woken up by drilling before 8 a.m on a morning. The lift was constantly out of order and the swimming pool and gym were not what I expected. The swimming pool picture has been cleverly done to make it look bigger than it is and the gym is a joke. Apart from that the breakfast menu was good and the evening menu was good in the bar.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I pre-paid 9 nights, of a supposedly upgraded room with a "balcony", ha ha, in early March to visit family. Once I managed to get the staff to open the "balcony" door, which was stuck fast, we laughed in disbelief. My trusty tape measure showed 2feet by 2feet.
Returned from shopping to find the electrical bedside clock, lamp disconnected, & on
moving the bed to re-plug, a used condom packet (not mine) fell onto the floor! So much for housekeeping, plus the lower sheet had not been made up, just the top sheet & cover. Was told the bed was not done every day, as I was a "long stay guest". If I hadn't pre-paid, with a no-refund policy, I would have gone to the Swanston, where my family had a beautiful room, huge TV, separate bedroom, & bathroom!
The photo looks great, but doesn't show the wobbly table, only just room to squeeze a suitcase between the door, bed, & fridge cabinet. That spray-on stuff on the ceiling looks out of the 50's, & I suspect not healthy. Dusty mouldings, dirty dusty curtains, mouldy bathroom tiles, & old air-con not working. I stocked the fridge with my own food & drinks, as bar prices are too high, but they sent me a bill for $6.00 after I got home! Breakfast was expensive in comparison. Great friendly reception staff, & great location.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Sydney
Reviewed April 30, 2010

I recently went to Melbourne with my husband and stayed at Grand Chancellor Melbourne Hotel, which lists itself as a 4* hotel on its website. We booked and pre-paid for 4 nights about 6 months ago in November.

When we got to the hotel and was shown our room, I was really disappointed. The room was not the 4* standard I expected, I've stayed in better motel rooms in Peak Hill! The furniture was old, cabinet doors were not even properly on their hinges, the TV was one of the old black box, the bed was lumpy, the blanket was really worn, the air-conditioning was not working and there was loud construction noise coming from the windows outside.

I called the reception about the air-conditioning not working, and they said it was an older system and might take a while to get cold. I waited for about 10 minutes and there was no improvement so I went back downstairs to see if they can give us another room.

Unfortunately, there was no other standard room available but they have a superior room available. To get that room, they said it would normally cost $80/night, but they can give it to us for $35. I was not happy to pay extra since this whole issue was the result of them not being able to provide us with a decent room and told them so. After much negotiations, they lowered it to $25/night. It took us almost 2 hours to check-in from start to finish.

The superior room was on the top level, with a nice view of the city, king size bed, flat screen tv and much more of the 4* standard I was expecting. But, there was mould in the bath ( we didn't use it), dust on the seats and the fridge looks like it hasn't been cleaned for a long time.

So the next morning, we put the sign on our door to get the room made up. But when we came back that night around 7.30pm, nothing has been done. It seems they have missed our room.

And then it gets worse.

I was getting ready for a shower. Suddenly I hear the jingle of keys outside our door and someone was opening the door! I jumped under the covers as I was not dressed. Luckily my husband was there and he talked to the person. It was a housekeeper, and he quickly realised that we were there and apologised because he thought there was no one in the room. Well, we had the lights on, the TV on, and aren't they supposed to knock?!

I called the reception to complain. I was appalled! I think I was rambling a bit in the beginning as I get over the shock of the whole experience. What if I had been standing right in front of the door? The duty manager I spoke to was very apologetic and told us not to worry about the upgrade charge. I told her that's not the issue here. Aren't we supposed to feel safe in the hotel room? Do I need to put a chair in front of the door? Oh, and our hotel room did not have a key chain lock inside, so there was no way we could have locked it from the inside.

Because we have pre-paid and it was a long weekend, we decided to stay on. Our room was finally made up the next day after I left a request with the person at the reception. But they must take the words "make up my room" literally, because that was all they did. They made the bed and replaced the towels. That's it. They didn't clean the toilet, didn't vacuum, didn't dust... really poor housekeeping quality.

On our last night there, some poor people got stuck in one of the two lifts. We were waiting for a lift to go down, and heard the emergency alarm ringing. If it had been us stuck there, that would just be another bad point to add to this hotel.

Don't stay here. Location is convenient, but it's not worth it.

1 Thank Irine_Sydney
HGCMarketing, on behalf of the Rooms Division Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, May 4, 2010
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne. We take all feedback we receive very seriously, and have completed some considerable follow up and investigation into the information you have provided to us.

I note your feedback regarding the quality of the air conditioning in the first room that you stayed in and I can assure you that the hotel is aware of the issues regarding the air conditioning in these rooms. We are currently in the process of replacing the entire air conditioning system in the hotel, and this is being completed floor by floor. This is a massive job and we expect that this project is to be completed by the year’s end.
In regards to the condition of the rest of the room, you will note that the room type that you booked is classified as an “Economy Room”. We generally charge considerably lower rates for these rooms as the hotel feels that these rates are fair for the condition of the rooms, when the location of the hotel and the hotel’s facilities are taken into consideration.

In regards to the cleanliness of the room you were later upgraded to, I can do nothing but offer my sincere apologies. I have personally inspected this room, and agree that certain aspects of the cleanliness were below expectation and have placed the room offline for the bathroom to be re-grouted. It is my opinion that the hotel’s housekeeping team did not provide you with adequate servicing over your stay, and disciplinary action towards the staff concerned has been undertaken.

Without doubt, the most concerning feedback is that of the housekeeping attendant who entered your room without knocking or gaining permission. I read from your email that the attendant did explain that he was of the understanding the room was vacant, however this provides no excuse for entering a room prior to our required “three knock” policy. On the evening in question, your call to the Manager on Duty was logged, and disciplinary action and re-training of the staff member concerned was completed the following day. This action by our staff is completely unacceptable, and once again I offer my sincere apologies.

Once again, I thank you for your valuable feedback. Although your stay with us was clearly less than satisfactory, your feedback has helped us improve our services to our guests.

Michael Smeeton
Rooms Division Manager
Victoria
Reviewed April 18, 2010

I arrived before my friend and checked in. I was horrified when I openend the door of the room, the carpet was filthy! Terrible stains everywhere, I didnt want to take my shoes off. The bathroom was extremely dated and tired looking. The bedding was a fitted sheet, top sheet and a dirty looking fluffy blanket! I contacted reception immediately and they were able to move us to a different room. They explained that the hotel was undergoing refurbishment therefore some rooms were a little dated. The new room had an upgraded bathroom (thankfully!), the bedding was still the same, but thankfully the heating system was great so we didnt need the blankets. Cupboards/draws/shelves all very old and didnt even close properly. Service was fantastic, If booking I would advise to contact them direclty and ask for the rooms in the photos as we certainly did not stay in them!!! Good location so we avoided spending too much time in the room.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank member2468
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 14, 2010

First room was a shocker, smelt musty and just a double bed with old furniture and dilapidated hallways. How can this be four star! Asked desk staff for a bed we could both sleep on without taking turns... Desk staff were great throughout and moved to a king bed in a recently renovated room (fresh paint , redone bathroom , same old furniture and fittings). Curtains didn't meet by half a metre so wife was kept awake by outside lights..
Would stretch to rate this room as 2.5 star.
Pool area was nice and foyer flash. Breakfast was okay but nothing special and restaurant thought it was flasher than it is, meals and service were poor. Not many options nearby apart from Asian restaurants as in Chinatown area. Wish we had stayed in Southbank area and might have enjoyed our stay in Melbourne but Grand Chancellor ruined our stay....

Melbourne
Reviewed March 29, 2010

The hotel was centrally located between the greek districts and chinatown - so nightlife and culture abounds..
the check-in was smooth, no issues, friendly girls behind the desk - when in the room , it was a modest room, nothing super fancy but wasnt' shabby - it was a room that was comfortable clean and quiet.
Didn't use much of the hotel amenities, but it was all there i'm sure.

I liked the staff and how they tried to help you with any question.

down side was the lack of a view - but rooms with views are available, I just didn't want to pay more - besides I was in the CBD not overlooking an ocean or desert oasis.

all said and done it was a good hotel that i would come back to again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple