“Loved the location, everything else was very average.”

Grand Chancellor Melbourne
Ranked #102 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights. We chose the hotel because of the great location and reasonable price and its within walking distance of everything we wanted to be close to in the city. The room was ok, it was what I'd expected from the previous reviews and photos. We had a standard double room on the 10th floor. It was dated and is in need of some tlc. The room seemed clean, but there was hair still in the bathtub which put me off straight away about having a bath during my stay. There was some loud banging on and off during our stay which started around 10am most days which disturbed our sleep ins after a few late nights out, there must have been some work going on in the building. Our room was also right next to the utility closet, so we'd often hear the door banging a lot early in the morning which was a bit frustrating.

There is a 7 eleven close to the hotel which was handy, and the Laksa Bar on little Lonsdale St was amazing and cheap. You're close to Trunk on Exhibition St for lunch or dinner, and there are some jazz club close by down Bennett's Lane. You're also very close to the yummy choices to eat in Chinatown and a short walk to the trams.

If you want a central base in the city at a reasonable rate then yes I would recommend staying here. Just remember you're paying a reasonable rate for a reason. If you're after a relaxing, comfortable, modern stay in a city hotel where you plan to spend a lot of time, then I would avoid it. It all depends on what you're priorities are.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the utility closet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hails123
hgcmelbourne, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Hails 123,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

Our location here on Lonsdale Street in Melbourne, is fantastic. Melbourne has so much to offer so close to our door step, I hope you were able to see and do everything you wanted to during your time here. As you have mentioned there are some great bars and restaurants near us as well, including our own Dinner restaurant Encore for those colder nights are we starting to encounter.

Our housekeeping department have been informed as to your feedback and retraining of the level 10 staff has already been started.

We have just recently installed new closers on both our linen and rubbish shoots thought out the hotel, which should ensure they close with very little if any noise. I do apologise if they woke you up during your stay, I understand how sacred a sleep in can be.

For the money conscious our Economical rooms are high value for a low price, they have had improvements of recently installed new furniture, carpet, bedding etc these rooms account for around 30% of the hotels rooms.

However the remaining 70% of the Hotel has had further refurbishments including new bathrooms, curtains, TV’s, chaise lounge etc aimed at a more relaxing stay. The best thing to do would be to call our reservations team and they can certainly help you pick the best room type for your needs and arrange the best possible rate.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,445)

Reviewed June 10, 2014

With only 15 minutes a day for one device then steep wi fi charges it is a shame this ruined my stay. All other factors were of a high standard but in this day and age lets get real and less mean with what is now a necessity for all travelers and that is decent Internet access. Lift your game Grand Chancellor.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve D
hgcmelbourne, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Steve D,

We surveyed our guests before implementing the new internet system and pricing and we found that majority of our guests thought 15 mins was a sufficient amount of time to check and respond to their emails and or “check in” for their upcoming flight. So as a token gesture the hotel provides 15 mins free internet access to all guests.

However faster and larger downloads are offered at a very reasonable price for selected packages depending on each guests requirements. The following are the selection of chargeable internet packages we provide.

$4.95 for 1hour for up to 3 devices

$9.95 for 2hours for up to 3 devices

$21.95 for 24hours for up to 3 devices

The reason we are charging for this internet is because we installed new WiFi equipment into every guest room in the hotel so we could provide a high quality internet service to our guests. We are looking forward to providing a completely free internet service sometime in the near future.

Thank you again for your review of our hotel, and we hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I know standards are different. But i believed you should get what you pay for and I paid a lot for a place that wasn’t as nice as or as clean as a hostel. Terrible room, bed, pillows, dirty bathroom.True story. Uninterested staff. Never again

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank Angela R

Dear Angela R,

I’m very sorry to read you found our hotel below your expectations and not great value for money; it’s disappointing that you do not wish to be returning to the hotel in the future.

Your comments about our Front Desk staff concerns me as this is an area where the hotel excels and I myself am very disheartened to read about your interactions with them. Your feedback has been supplied to our Front Office Manager for reflection.

Please be assured these matters will be follow up by our team here at Grand Chancellor
Melbourne.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stayed here recently whilst in the CBD for the night. First appearance was of a very shabby hotel, rickety old lifts, non personal staff. None of the pictures from the hotel resemble any of what I saw. We had a 'renovated' room apparently, which was absolutely filthy, dust and dirt throughout the room- roof, carpet, walls and behind furniture, and was thick over the tv etc, mould through out the bathroom tiles, the outside patio wasn't worth being advertised, no outside chair, it was covered in dirt and filthy. But I must say the bed and furnishings were nice and bed very comfy, but the state of the room was disgusting. We called for maintenance about the shower temp not working either fully cold or boiling hot, the guy who came to look at it told us to leave it for 2-3minutes fully cold and then slowly after a couple minutes to turn it to hot slowly to get it working as it was the normal way for their showers. Who has 5-10 minutes to find the right temp in the shower? As we needed to get out for a function, had to bypass the shower and just get dressed. We were offered another room but it was too late for us to change rooms if we wanted to make our function. Had the buffet breakfast which was 'ok' Nothing to rave about and better places to spend money close by on better food for less. The only good thing I can say that when a request for someone to come look at the room the appeared very quickly! I visited the pool area for a look, unless it was very hot outside, I would never see this pool being used, not a friendly inviting area at all, nothing as inviting as the pictures! On a whole I wouldn't return to this hotel or ever recommend it. I will be forwarding a letter to the management as this stay wasn't any where worth the money paid, with a lot of better hotels available in the city for the same or less and expect action. As other reviewers have said, staying in a good backpackers would probably be better than here.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel for a good room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NZL_Carl

Dear NZL_Carl,

It was great to talk with you personally NZL_ Carl 70% of our hotel rooms have been significantly refurbished over the past 12-24 months and we continue to work hard on improving all areas of the hotel with a large focus currently on our corridors and hot water system.

I hope you are happy with the outcome from our conversation and again please contact me directly to arrange your next stay with us so we can provide you with a truly Grand experience, in the near future.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights with a baby. Cot set up ready to go on arrival free of charge. Room is good, bathroom is a little dated- stayed on the 4th floor. The Breakfast Buffett is very good. Location of hotel is excellent. Staff friendly and always happy to help. Outdoor pool is very nice. Simple checkout and check in.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear lonhro66

We pride ourselves on the service we provide to our guests, and if we can help our guests by providing a cot set up and ready to go so you can get your young child off to bed quicker so you can then enjoy so time to yourself then that’s what we are here for.

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Our Head chef is constantly trying new buffet items to ensure consistent variety.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

This was a short stay and the Grand Chancellor was a perfect location to catch up with friends, do some shopping, eat out plus close to train and tram transport to inner and outer suburbs. Check in, and check out, was very efficient, reception staff pleasant. I had booked an economy double room and was upgraded to next level but feel only difference was a bit more space. Room well but economically appointed, ensuite bathroom has all basic needs, bed is comfortable and room very clean. I was one room distant from Lonsdale St and had a quiet night's sleep with no annoying noises from nearby rooms or outside. Small balcony not much use apart from ability to open for fresh air, no view from level 8. A/C was very quiet and efficient. Overall a good value for money stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Dear Emanpee,

I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us, the hotel's location is one of its greatest assets, being walking distance to all of Melbourne's great attractions and the shopping districts. I hope you were able to see all the sights that you wanted to see while staying with us.

I’m also glad to read you had a disturbance free sleep; it’s amazing how revitalised we feel after a peaceful night’s sleep.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

This hotel makes a YMCA look classy. The only thing good about it are the very comfortable beds, the high pressure shower, and the guy who runs the underground carpark - who isn't even an employee of the hotel! The rooms are beyond tired - they are shabby, and poorly featured. And paying for WIFI in 2014 for a so called business hotel is an absolute travesty.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank FamilyofTank

Dear FamilyofTank,

I’m very disappointed and sorry to read that you found our hotel to be below your expectations. However I’m glad to read you found our hotels beds and water pressure to be comfortable.

Unfortunately I've been unable to locate your booking in our system as I’m unsure of the name you booked under. I would truly like to be in contact with you directly, as it would help me track down this room so I can personally inspection its condition.

Our hotel rooms have been periodically refurbished over the years with the most recent, comprehensive refurbishment occurring just last year. The hotel is proud to maintain a AAA four star rating, and is committed to ensuring that we continue to improve the quality and presentation of our product well into the future.

We do have many different options for WiFi within the hotel, most as you said are chargeable however we believe they are relatively inexpensive and in line with market trends, we do offer a free of charge WiFi option too.

I would be happy to make contact with you privately to arrange another stay so we can provide you with a truly Grand experience, in the near future.