“Great Location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Aruba
“Great Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

The hotel is located just away from all the hustle and bustle, about 3 blocks from Chinatown and from the Swanston (shopping) street. It is clean, comfortable and well kept and I got a great price on my room. The staff was generally friendly. They charge $ 22.00 for wifi, which, had I realized earlier, I would not have chosen this hotel because wifi (internet) is not a luxury anymore and even places like Mc Donald's already offer free wifi. Besides that, the signal in my room was weak; I had to go to a certain part of the room to get a workable signal; for this reason only 3 stars. Otherwise it was very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

I am very glad to read that you found the hotel's staff friendly and the room to be of a good standard. The hotel has recently completed an extensive refurbishment program and it is great to read of positive experiences from our guests following all this hard work.

As part of the refurbishment program, the hotel also upgraded its internet facilities to include a full WiFi service. Previously WiFi was unavailable in the hotel, and due to the age of our building and the double brick style of construction, considerable work was required to build a network infrastructure which was able to provide a reliable WiFi network to our guests (including over 100 network routers throughout the property!). The network has now been active for a number of months, and in the last week another visit from the network supplier resulted in some further tweaking and repair to some routers as we found that signals were a bit weak in some areas of the hotel. I am sorry if you found issues in connecting during your stay, and we have been assured that the work conducted recently has resolved any "black spots" within the network.

The hotel offers a number of pricing options for the WiFi network, including a free option with bandwidth and speed limitations. For our high speed option there are a number of price options which our guests can choose from starting from just $5. The 24 hr option is priced at $21.95 and is a very competitive price for WiFi in the Melbourne hotel market.

Thank you again for your review! We hope you had a wonderful stay in Melbourne and wish you safe travels.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Just back from a week at the GC Melbourne for the grand final, we'd booked a superior/executive room , so were on the 16th floor, fantastically comfortable king bed, clean room and excellent food for breakfast (many choices at breakfast) and evening meal ( we were on a deal with meals included) and loved the. Pool!
Can't fault it for the price we paid

Room Tip: Worth paying for the room with king bed
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear JK,

I am very glad to hear that your stay was a pleasant one and found our newly refurbished rooms on the 16th floor to your satisfaction. We are very proud of the standard of presentation of these newly renovated rooms, and agree that the new high quality beds are extremely comfortable!

Also it is great to read that you enjoyed the food and service in the Encore Restaurant as well as in Footlights Restaurant for breakfast. The Encore menu has just been renewed for the new season and the feedback we are getting on this menu is also very pleasing.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel next time you choose to visit Melbourne.

Murray Bridge, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Booked a room while in Melbourne for AFL Finals.. close to MCG, within walking distance. Checked in at 8am and upgraded into higher room, lovely view, very clean room, within a 24 hour period my towels were refreshed 3 times. Staff were fantastic and helpful. Thankyou for making my stay a pleasant one, will reccommend to friends and family who are going to Melbourne. Hope to be booking here again next year for more footy trips.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Akh04,

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the room to be clean, comfortable and with a pleasant outlook. It is also great to hear that you found the interactions with our staff positive, which is testament to the efforts our staff go to to ensure customer satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, and I hope that your team was successful during your visit to Melbourne!

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Just a little ho-hummish, although for one night, it was okay. I got the room at a discounted rate, was told at check in I was being up-graded - and I am pleased I was, because heaven help us if this was the up-graded room! It was clean, but small - I was grateful my other half wasn't there, as the bed was only a standard double. So small bed, at home in a small room. There were a couple of armchairs squeezed into a corner with a small coffee table, but hardly any room to walk past the desk to get to the fridge - I moved the desk chair so I could get there!
Bed was comfortable, room was quiet, so pretty good sleep. Bathroom - well, I am never happy having a shower over a bathtub with no grab rail, no anti-slip surface on the bath floor, and put together with the fact the water was running hot and cold (to be fair, there was a notice in the room to warn and apologise to guests that due to refurbishments this may happen).
Breakfast was offered at a discounted rate if you purchased it in advance - this was pretty good, food was hot, good range of choices. Check in and out was efficient, and it was a good location for my needs.
Would I stay here again? Probably, but only at the discounted rate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CandJMelbourne
Dear C&J,

I am pleased to read that you were satisfied overall with your stay experience at the hotel. All the hotel rooms have been upgraded within the last 6 months, however it may be that you were upgraded to an Executive Room, which has a higher grade of furnishings and bathroom, although the same size as the Chancellor or Economy Rooms. We do advertise these rooms as having Double Beds, as due to the layout of the rooms, we find this bed size is the best compromise. I am glad to read you found the bed comfortable, as they have all been replaced within the last 12 months.

It's good to read that you enjoyed our breakfast too, and the pre-book option offers great value! However we feel the $21 full buffet normal price is still one of the best value breakfasts in Melbourne.

Thank you again for your feedback, and keep an eye out for our great online specials so you can return and enjoy our hotel again. Note, our Executive Rooms are available with King Beds if you are looking for a larger bed to share with your other half. We hope to see you again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Booked online, requested early check-in. All taken care of. Close proximity to everything including beautiful China Town. Very comfortable room with all amenities taken care for. If you flying in for the football I couldn't recommend this hotel enough

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TroyDeag
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Troy,

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and found our location to be convenient. The hotel is well located next to Chinatown, and within easy walking distance to the other major attractions of Melbourne, including the MCG.

It is great to read that you found the quality of the accommodation to your satisfaction. The hotel has been working very hard on refurbishments and upgrades recently, so it is great to see that you found our efforts to be worthwhile!

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed here for 9 nights in August, came to watch the footy from Perth, didn't make the footy eagles vs essendon game! Got into melbourne at 5.20 am with early check in requested, along with emails exchanged between myself & the hotel that our reservation was in place,Crock of crap!! Suffice to say didn't get into rm till hrs later.
Renovations rife!!! Was offered another room but was amazed they would put guests in the room we stayed in! Breakfast was a complete joke $42 for 2 ppl...
Room was horrid, dusty, dirty & desk under & around fridge was rotting,had issues with housekeeping cleaning, I get allergies very rarely but even in winter due to lack of vacuming and general cleaning wich you would expect from the hotel...eg.. Vacuuming, bathroom, mopping & bed changing wich is apparentley only done if you request it! No such thing as a mop in this place!
Balcony that they advertise is NOTHiNG of the sort of balconies us Aussies expect, was more of a space for the Aircon unit! Anyway so much more to say but...
Do yourselves a favour and just avoid at all costs!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debbieperry16
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Mrs Perry,

I am of course disappointed to read of your less than satisfactory experience at the hotel, especially in regards to the levels of cleanliness you describe. I am also surprised by these comments as I note from our system that during your stay the housekeeping department provided additional services to your room throughout your time with us. Typically the hotel will provide a "stay clean" every 2nd day in which the room is tidied, vacuumed, the bed made and the towels changed. However due to your demands to the front desk, Housekeeping performed a "check-out" clean each day, meaning the sheets were also changed and the entire room was done over completely. I also note that despite your regular visits to the front desk to voice your disappointment and suggest compensation, you never mentioned that you were suffering from allergy issues.

I read in your reservation that a request for early arrival was noted. Naturally a hotel cannot guarantee early arrival before the check-out time of 11am, as if the hotel is fully booked the previous night there is no guarantee that any rooms will be available for cleaning and checking-in. This was the case on the day of your arrival, but I also note in the system that a room was rushed and made available for you very early, and check-in was processed at 9:04am (5 hours early). The hotel will always do its very best to respond to guest requests, but unfortunately requests such as this can never, and would never be guaranteed by our staff.

In your review you mention that you were disappointed with the size of the balcony in your room. The hotel is one of the very few hotels in Melbourne which offers both opening windows and a balcony for our guests. We acknowledge that the size of the balconies isn't large, and where we can on the websites that sell our rooms, we describe them as "Juliet Balconies" to indicate that they are not that big. The website you booked on (Quickbeds) does describe the rooms in this manner.

Finally, I do apologise for the noise of the refurbishment during your stay. The hotel is nearly finished its quite extensive refurbishment program which we have done to improve the facilities and room environment for our guests, and take the Grand Chancellor Melbourne experience to a new level. Unfortunately during this process, there is occasionally some noise disruption as construction work is completed. However, the hotel has very strict policies in regards to when the noise can be made (only Mon-Fri between 10am and 5pm) so as to minimise disruption to our guests. If this noise was disturbing you during your stay, please accept my apologies. My understanding is that the front desk offered to move you to a room further from the works being completed, however that request was denied.

Thank you again for your feedback. Once again I am sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your stay at the hotel, and we hope that you had a pleasant return journey to Perth.

Executive Assistant Manager

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels