“Would never stay there again. .”

Grand Chancellor Melbourne
Ranked #100 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I recently stayed with my young child (sports comp) for two nights and would never recommend this hotel to others. While in the majority the desk staff were friendly and helpful, and the pool, breakfast and location great, I was not happy with the state of my room and other parts of the hotel.

1. Only one lift worked during my stay. On my third day at checkout, my son and I had to walk down the stairs (luckily only from floor 3) with him carrying a massive sports bag with equipment, after having waited 20 minutes for a lift, which kept stalling, shuddering and did not seem to make it to any floor. As a result we missed our taxi, the driver had decided not to wait.

2. I had tickets to skybus to the airport, and I rang the desk about 2 hours before we were going to request the shuttle to the station be booked. I was quickly informed that i needed at least two days to book it and when I asked the guy at the desk to check, he very quickly informed me it was booked. Having missed the taxi I waited outside the front and the skybus shuttle came along at 10.30am. This was the same bus I had been told by the desk clerk was fully booked. I'm not sure the desk clerk actually checked. When my son and I got on it, the number of people including us was 4. It was nowhere near booked.

3. The beds were over starched, crinkled all night, the pillows too thin, and we had to request blankets. The member of housekeeping who bought the blankets made me feel as if I was interrupting his break - it was about 9pm at night.

4. The soap holder in our bathroom was out of the wall (in its wires), the lock was dodgy and could lock shut on you at any time, there are chipped tiles underfoot, and the mould around the bath is revolting.

5. My son wanted to watch an in-house movie - the system didnt work. We were informed that due to only one person on the desk, no help could be given - but it was probably the control unit.

6. On the Sunday, we went out at 8.30 and were at the sports comp all day. Despite having requested the room be made up, with the sign hanging, we arrived back to find it had not been done. I requested housekeeping and we went out while the housekeeper did the room. When he arrived, he made me feel uncomfortable for having requested the room be tidied. When we came back there was still an old towel hanging in the bathroom, soap etc.

Overall, not a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Tisha101
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Tisha,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to read of your dissatisfaction with your stay experience, and that you feel that you don't wish to stay with us again. The issues you had with the elevator would certainly have been inconvenient, and we have been working with the elevator service company to ensure reliable operation of our elevators which are actually quite new.

Your comments regarding the Skybus pick up are noted, however please be aware that Skybus pickups are arranged by our staff over their internet portal. Skybus advises us to allow at least 24-48 hours to make a reservation using this portal. Last minute pick ups are not able to be done as the routes are already written up for the drivers for that day. The pick up buses only go to hotels which have got a reservation rather than going past every one each time. Our staff would have seen a "booked out" indication for the time you requested as we are unable to reserve that close to pick up.

All rooms now have extra blankets in the wardrobes, so you shouldn't need to call down to request one. This has just been put in place as we now have an abundance of blankets as the majority of the hotel has doonas on the beds.

The movie system is currently being upgraded to a new IPTV High Definition system, so all issues we were previously having with the old movie system are being resolved in that upgrade.

Overall I can understand that you were dissatisfied with your stay experience at the hotel. We have also received your email to the hotel direct and the Guest Services Manager will be responding to you shortly.

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,394)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and spent the night here a few years ago when we attended a concert in the city. While we didn't have the kids we decided to stay in the city. We found this hotel on readyrooms.com. For what we paid it was good value. The only issue was the room was a little tired. The carpet needed to be stretched, the curtains were pretty drab looking and our room overlooked the laneway. When showing I had to kneel down as the shower head wasn't that high, I'm 6'2". Breakfast was great and valet parking was great as well. Staff were fine and the location was good. There was a pool but it was on the roof and very cold.
A few weeks after staying here we had another concert and stayed in the city, but we didn't bother staying here for that night and we went elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your 2012 stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

Since your stay the majority of our rooms have been refurbished, and the entire project will be completed by the end of next month. This project has ensured that every room in the hotel has been refreshed to either a major extent where necessary (entire bathroom replacements, etc) to a soft refurbishment where only furniture, carpet and curtains was replaced.

From the description of your room I would imagine you stayed last year in a Chancellor or Economy Room. These rooms have all been refreshed with replacement furniture, a bathroom refresh and new carpet and curtains. They now present in a far superior fashion to August 2012 and I encourage you to come and give us another try. The hotel staff and service remain at the same high level, and now our accommodation rooms are even better.

I note your comments about the swimming pool as well. In fact August 2012 was when our swimming pool went offline for full refurbishment. You will see from the hotel photos that it has been greatly upgraded from the amenity you would have experienced, and the temperature usually sits at around 27-28 degrees Celsius.

We hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel next time you are coming into Melbourne, and offer you a truly Grand Experience.

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a large group. The hotel has a good location beside chinatown so loads of places to eat. The rooms were a dissapointment however. It seemed that renovations were on going with new carpet on some of the floors. However the majority of rooms were outdated, tired. Tiles cracked in some bathrooms. Did see one of the rooms on the 9th floor that was obviously recently renovated to a good standard so hopefully all the rooms will follow suit. Bar closed very early even though there was a potential for the hotel to make alot of money. Slow service when the bar was open. Staff sometimes werent aware of prices or how to run a bar. Staff were friendly though

• Stayed: June 2013
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear RosieMarie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

I am sorry to read that you found the hotel's rooms to be below your expectations. I assume from your review and location that you joined us for the Lions Rugby Tour Group in June 2013. This group was mostly booked in Chancellor and Economy Rooms and in June there were still a large number of these rooms which had not been refurbished. We now have the majority of these rooms completed and all rooms will be completed by August. The room on the 9th floor that you would have seen is a newly refurbished room, so I am glad you found that to be of a nice standard.

In regards to the bar hours, normally our bar ceases service around 11pm every night but during your visit due to the large amount of patrons still wishing to drink in Encore Bar we kept it open typically till 1am. I am sorry if this was not late enough for you, however we found by 1am typically the majority of the group had retired to their rooms and made the last drinks call.

I am glad to read that you found our staff to be friendly and the location to be convenient. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you had a safe trip back to Ireland.

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed being able to tip out into the heart of the city. The roof top pool looked great and our room had great views. Staff were knowledgeable and prompt. Would definitely stay again. Thanks

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Hobart Art House,

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. The hotel always prides itself on the level of service we can provide our guests, so it is great to hear that we are succeeding in this regard.

It is also great to read that you enjoyed our roof top swimming pool. This area was completely refurbished in August last year, so I am pleased that you found it to be of a good standard.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next choose to visit Melbourne.

Executive Assistant Manager.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

For the past 15 years (with one exception), I have stayed at the Grand Chancellor whenever I go to Melbourne. I was always pleased with the accommodation, and often would have a card in my room saying 'welcome back' (once, with a half bottle of red wine). That sort of personal touch kept me returning.

However, my last two visits have been somewhat disappointing. Last visit, I was in Room 708, and the cleanliness of the bathroom was dubious. The bathtub was chipped, and behind the door, the floor (especially the corner) was dirty. No tissues in the room. Good-sized bed, but as it faces the door, the light streams under the door at night, which really undermines a good night's sleep. On the whole, the room was tired, and the reception staff efficient but impersonal.
When I asked about the Chancellor Rewards program, and claiming rewards,the advice to contact a New Zealand address bemused me. Why cant a Grand Chancellor Hotel actually have access to the rewards program so you can claim rewards at the Hotel?

It's a great location for me, and I have booked in again on 25th-26th July, but really, if things havent improved, I may well be looking around for alternate accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank melodramaboy

Dear Melodramaboy,

I am sorry to read that your recent stay at the hotel was below your normal experience. I can confirm that Rm. 708 is one of the last remaining un-refurbished Chancellor/Economy Rooms remaining in the hotel, and although this would explain the presentation of certain aspects of the room, it does not excuse the cleanliness issues that you have highlighted. Housekeeping certainly seems to have let the hotel down with your room on this occasion and please accept my apologies.

I am also sorry to read about your experience with the GC Rewards program. Unfortunately the hotel staff are currently unable to access guest account details through our system, and all reward requests are handled by the GC Rewards office which can be contacted via email or phone. The group is currently working on an upgrade to the system so hotel staff are able to have greater access.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you join us again in a few days. I am sure that you will find your next stay a much more satisfactory experience.

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We certainly couldnt complain about the check-in process and location but a number of the aspects of the room could only be considered of average standard. As others have noted the recent refurbishment must have been very cheap. The king size bed was great but the fit and finish of the room was below par, the bathroom was poor and tv reception was woeful - certainly not digital quality.
For example, the water from the bathroom sink outlet sprayed everywhere all over the tiny vanity flooding all your personal items.
There were gaps or holes in the walls.
Noise transfer from adjoining rooms was also a problem but perhaps we had inconsiderate neighbours.
Overall we rate our stay as average. The Marriott is just around the corner and worth the extra few dollars in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2013
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor on Trip Advisor.

Although I am pleased to read that you found aspects of your stay enjoyable, such as the service and the comfort of the bed, I am saddened to read that we didn't manage to satisfy your stay expectations on every level.

I would be interested to know which room you stayed in, and whether that room has in fact been refurbished as your statements regarding the fit and finish concern me. The million dollar refurbishment the hotel is currently concluding is bringing the rooms to a far better standard and I can assure you it has not been an inexpensive exercise. By the conclusion of the program, every single room in the 160 room hotel will have been improved.

In regards to the noise issues you experienced, I am sorry to hear that your stay was interrupted. Our staff are always happy to ensure that all guests behave in a polite and considerate manner towards others if noise complaints are reported. The hotel is constructed of double brick, so noise transfer between rooms should be limited.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have stayed at The Grand Chancellor on a number of occasions now, at least half a dozen. Don't consider myself the easiest person in the world to please but can't come up with even a minor complaint. The refurbished rooms are very stylish indeed, quality king bed and fresh crisp bedding. Bathrooms beautifully tiled, spotless and with quality fittings and toiletries. impressed with the encouragement of guests to consider the "green effect" of our planet. Last room was on the street front, very roomy and virtually no street noise. I have stayed in all three of Crown's Hotels in Melbourne and the new TV's in The Grand Chancellor were second to one in terms of size and picture quality in comparison to Crowns. I found the desk staff to be extremely helpful. On one stay a while back in a yet to be refurbished room the fridge needed attention so the maintenance person was only too happy to take our wine to the Hotel fridge till we were ready to go out for dinner. Nothing too much trouble and car park attendant always friendly and efficient. Beautiful array of breakfast selections - something fir everyone. Did I mention Location, Location, Location! We will be back!

Room Tip: I would request a refurbished room, not sure what percentage have been completed to date. I have ha...