I recently stayed with my young child (sports comp) for two nights and would never recommend this hotel to others. While in the majority the desk staff were friendly and helpful, and the pool, breakfast and location great, I was not happy with the state of my room and other parts of the hotel.
1. Only one lift worked during my stay. On my third day at checkout, my son and I had to walk down the stairs (luckily only from floor 3) with him carrying a massive sports bag with equipment, after having waited 20 minutes for a lift, which kept stalling, shuddering and did not seem to make it to any floor. As a result we missed our taxi, the driver had decided not to wait.
2. I had tickets to skybus to the airport, and I rang the desk about 2 hours before we were going to request the shuttle to the station be booked. I was quickly informed that i needed at least two days to book it and when I asked the guy at the desk to check, he very quickly informed me it was booked. Having missed the taxi I waited outside the front and the skybus shuttle came along at 10.30am. This was the same bus I had been told by the desk clerk was fully booked. I'm not sure the desk clerk actually checked. When my son and I got on it, the number of people including us was 4. It was nowhere near booked.
3. The beds were over starched, crinkled all night, the pillows too thin, and we had to request blankets. The member of housekeeping who bought the blankets made me feel as if I was interrupting his break - it was about 9pm at night.
4. The soap holder in our bathroom was out of the wall (in its wires), the lock was dodgy and could lock shut on you at any time, there are chipped tiles underfoot, and the mould around the bath is revolting.
5. My son wanted to watch an in-house movie - the system didnt work. We were informed that due to only one person on the desk, no help could be given - but it was probably the control unit.
6. On the Sunday, we went out at 8.30 and were at the sports comp all day. Despite having requested the room be made up, with the sign hanging, we arrived back to find it had not been done. I requested housekeeping and we went out while the housekeeper did the room. When he arrived, he made me feel uncomfortable for having requested the room be tidied. When we came back there was still an old towel hanging in the bathroom, soap etc.
Overall, not a very pleasant stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Well-regarded Traditional 17-story Hotel in city center, near theaters, shopping & Chinatown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Agoda, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Chancellor Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Chancellor Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Grand Chancellor Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Grand Chancellor Hotel