“Recommended”

Grand Chancellor Melbourne
Ranked #100 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed here for our Wedding Anniversary and enjoyed the experience. Nice big room, view of the church opposite, delicious dinner, friendly and helpful staff. They gave us a bottle of bubbly to mark the occasion. I thought both the pay-per-view movies and Wifi very overpriced, breakfast would have been fine had it been hot but it was lukewarm. The location is central, excellent.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear BulldogEd,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and found our new Premier King Room to a good standard. I am also glad you enjoyed the bottle of sparkling wine, and hope you had a wonderful wedding anniversary in our hotel!

I note your comments in regards to the pricing of both the WiFi and the movies. The movie pricing is actually set by our movie system provider, and is a standard cost across the Melbourne Market ($15.95 per movie). Although this is more expensive than renting a movie from a video shop, the cost is due to both the convenience factor as well as the investment required in the infrastructure of the system.

Our WiFi internet has a number of pricing options, including a free of charge option. I am sorry that you felt that this was too expensive. Our charged options provide a greater download speed and bandwidth, as well as the potential to connect numerous devices for the same cost.

Your feedback regarding the warmth of the buffet food is noted, and has been forwarded to the Executive Chef for his attention. The breakfast staff constantly monitor the movement of food on the buffet, and replace items when they have been stationed too long and may be going cool. This process is being reviewed to ensure that there is no instances of lukewarm food in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel when you next choose to visit Melbourne.

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,423)

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night with my mum. The location is good and less than 1 block to Chinatown. The rooms were modern and clean. They only have single beds in the twin rooms. Unfortunately we had the buffet breakfast and this was a huge let down - all the hot food was luke warm and ordinary. So my advice is find somewhere else to eat breakfast. There were a lot of hooligans on the street that were noisy - it was a long weekend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Poolandlocation,

I am glad to read you enjoyed our rooms and found them to be both clean and modern. I must assume you stayed in one of our refurbished rooms which present in a very favourable fashion.

In regards to the breakfast experience, I am very disappointed to read that you found it a let down. I have forwarded your feedback to the Executive Chef so they can review their procedures. The food on the buffet should always be hot and to a good standard, especially as Chef always ensures the finest ingredients are chosen for guest consumption.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel some time soon.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Don't bother staying here if you are after clean rooms and friendly service, the rooms are not only out dated but very tired. Problems with their movies on demand, unable to watch a single movie at $15.95 at any time and then find a letter to say that we may be woken at 8:00am for scheduled window cleaning by abseiling.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Shannon J
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Shannon,

I am sorry to read that you didn't find your stay enjoyable, and that you found the room to be tired and outdated. I can only assume that you stayed in one of the rooms in the hotel which is yet to be refurbished. Currently we are in the process of refurbishing the entire hotel, with approximately 75% of the hotel completed, works which we anticipate to be completed by August. I can assure you that the condition of our new rooms is far improved, and you would find it to a much greater level of satisfaction.

In regards to the movie system, I am sorry that you were unable to get it to operate. I am unsure as to whether you requested assistance from our staff, but they would have been more than happy to provide you with assistance to get it working. I am not aware of any notable issues with the system itself on the night in which you stayed. The hotel is actually about to completely upgrade the movie system (the upgrade actually starts today!) and this will also include an upgrade to a high tech IPTV television system which will vastly improve the entertainment experience watching pay movies, free to air or our Foxtel channels.

I also note your comment about the window cleaning. It is our belief that the window cleaners do not provide significant noise or disruption which is why we allow the work to commence earlier in the day. However the letter in your room was a courtesy to advise you of the men dropping past your window, to ensure that you can maintain the level of privacy in the room you desire.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope that you will give Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne consideration when you choose to return to Melbourne.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here with a friend. We had problems trying to get our suitcases up the steps when we got out of the airport shuttle bus. I had cold showers the 2 days we were there as it was either that option or excruciatingly hot. I came down with a stomach bug the night we arrived and my friend left the hotel room so she could shop and I could be alone in peace and quiet. That didn't happen as so, because the couple in the room right next door to us decided to have ear-splitting intimate relations and the walls were so paper thin I could unfortunately hear every single detail of what was going on. The pool was also closed when we were staying there.
I dont think I would stay here again, I dont really remember anything positive about the experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cheyennetiara
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Cheyenne,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the hotel a year ago.

I am sorry to read you didn't enjoy your stay at the hotel, and that you found the shower to be difficult to operate. The majority of the showers in our hotel utilize a "mixer tap" which allows easy regulation of the water temperature and pressure.

In regards to the thickness of the walls, I can assure you that the hotel is constructed of double brick, meaning that it is at least 2 layers of bricks between each room, not plasterboard. The volume of your neighbours must have been significant to have made an impact through that sort of wall, and I am sure if you had reported the disturbance to our staff we would have immediately requested they lower their volume.

The pool was closed in July last year, as we were in the process of refurbishing it. We made the decision to close the pool in winter as being an outdoor pool, the volume of usage in the cold and wintry months would be considerably less. I am sorry if this caused you some inconvenience, however I am sure you would find the presentation of our swimming pool area greatly improved following the refurbishment.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you next return to Melbourne.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We were disappointed with the Grand Chancellor - we felt that it was over-priced, rooms aren't that big and the whole place looks tired. Our room had a tiny balcony which was a plus and the windows actually open so you can let in some fresh air, the draw back being that it lets in the horrific noise from outside. We felt very safe there but don't have great expectations for the money you pay.
Parking was valet parking on-site ($20/night) which is great and there is a lift that goes directly to the car park which is a big help.
Lots of places to eat nearby and if you are an AFL fan it's easy to walk to the MCG or Ethiad Stadium.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne and I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the value you felt you got from your recent stay at the hotel.

The hotel is currently undergoing some significant refurbishment, which is refreshing all the rooms in the hotel including upgrading of furniture, curtains, bedding, and in some rooms there is even bathroom replacements underway. In your review you state you felt the hotel looked tired, and in that respect I must assume you were assigned to a room which was yet to be refurbished (we still have about 3 floors to complete).

I am glad to read you enjoyed the balcony and opening windows, we are now one of the few hotels in Melbourne which can offer that facility, however the traffic noise once the windows are open are unfortunately beyond the realms of the hotel's ability to rectify! Also I was pleased to see you found our location to be convenient.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel as I am sure once our refurbishment is completed you will find further satisfaction.

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We were there for a conference and I was absolutely appalled with the cleanliness and quality of the venue. The carpets were covered in a white dust/soot that ended up all over our chairs and subsequently our clothes. Decor, fittings and paint are all screaming for a refresh. If you are getting a cheap or budget rate and have expectations aligned to this, no problem. Otherwise I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank peter_bankowski
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on the conference facilities at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

Having read your feedback, the Conference & Events Manager and myself have done a thorough inspection of every function room in the hotel and I can confidently say we have found no evidence in support of your feedback. There is no "white dust/soot" on any of the carpets or furniture The carpets are vacuumed at least 2 times per day, and the furniture is all cleaned down and checked prior to any conference or function.

The conference foyer area is being repainted next week when there are no functions booked due to the long weekend, however this is part of the hotel's ongoing scheduled preventative maintenance in this area of the building, ensuring it is maintained to a high standard.

Interestingly, we have also had no feedback directly from any of our recent clients speaking to this dissatisfaction, despite the fact that we actively seek feedback from every client at the conclusion of an event.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel a bit of a disappointment for me. I'd wanted at least a 4 star which this claimed to be and the reviews seemed ok. On arrival the communal areas look tired. Not really what you'd expect from a 4 star hotel. The rest of the hotel was the same. The corridors have a cheap and tacky feel to them. The room itself was spacious but just in need of a complete renovation/rebuild. The bathroom needed painting and there were stains on the ceiling. The bath plug was a bit of plastic that didnt fir on the hole. The wireless was free for one hour than charged at a steep price.

However what I would say is that the management are clearly making what they can of the building without spending heaps on renovation. The staff were friendly and helpful. The bed was very comfortable, the room was clean and had robes and toiletries consistent with a 4 star.

Its situated near Chinatown so pretty convenient for good food and the theatres.

Overall I'd say that it was a good 3 star trying hard or a poor 3 star thats scraping the rating on the effort of the management. Personally I'd rather pay a bit more and have something I'm happy with so wont be going back.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms first and closely inspect the bathroom!