“Nice weekend city escape”

Grand Chancellor Melbourne
Ranked #101 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I had a 2 night stay here, we booked into one of the king spa rooms and were very happy, it was comfortable and a good size. The spa/bathroom could do with a bit of a tidy up. The roof top pool was fantastic, and the dinner we got from room service was nice and a good price. The staff were friendly and helpful. In a good location, nice and close to the theatres if your interested in catching a show while you're there. We had a great weekend.

Room Tip: Don't pay full price for breakfast, ask for a discounted rate.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Craig,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne. I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

I am glad you mentioned regarding the standard of the bathrooms in the Spa Room as the hotel is just about to commence a full refurbishment of these rooms, which will update and improve all aspects of the room environment including a new spa bath and all new bathroom facilities.

I trust that when you return to Melbourne, you will find these rooms to be a great improvement. Thank you very much for your review and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Grand Chancellor Melbourne

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just spent a night at Grand Chancellor Melbourne:

Location - very central with China town on your doorstep.

Parking - paid to park downstairs ($20) a night. Wasn't a hassle, but parking in the street outside is free between 7.30pm and 7.30am, so could have just popped down in the morning and dropped some coins in the meter for a few hours.

Check in - friendly staff, no hassles.

I'd booked a 'Superior Room' via the travel agent used by my work. I was on the 17th floor.

Room - the good bits - room was nicely furnished and comfortable. No strange smells (as reported in other reviews), and no mysterious stains on carpet, bedding or walls. Good size TV.

Room - the not so good bits - hair stuck on the wall of the shower, lack of available powerpoints (I had to unplug things to free up a point to charge my phone), lack of lighting in entry way (made programming the a/c a little difficult), not really enough room for the work desk, hot water very hot (cold water a mere trickle), bar fridge with glass door (which produces a 'night light' feel - not so good for people who like it dark).

A colleague of mine had also booked a superior room (which was on a lower floor), but it was somewhat lower spec (and had some 'cleaning issues' far more disturbing than mine) - 17th floor superior rooms may be more superior to those on other floors?

Food - as the hotel is in China town, I'm not sure why you'd bother dining in - I didn't.

Check out - quick and easy with friendly service.

Overall - I've stayed at the Grand Chancellor before (around 4 years ago) and had an experience similar to many of those negative reviews on the site. I think the difference is spending a little more and staying in a superior room. I've stayed at several other hotels in the chain, and think the GC Melbourne is certainly the lowest spec of the lot. On leaving, the lift stopped at several floors on the way down - the view out the door showed hallways in greater states of 'use' the lower the lift got (higher floors seem to be 'newer').

Would I stay here again? Maybe...

Room Tip: Book superior - try and get a higher floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Travellin_Al

Dear Travellin_Al,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne. I am glad to read that you found many aspects of the stay in your hotel enjoyable, and that the interactions with our staff were pleasant.

From your description of the room I would assume you stayed in an Executive Room, as the Superior Rooms don't have those types of refrigerators. These rooms have recently been refurbished and I am glad to read your feedback in regards to your happiness with the furniture. Also glad to read your feedback regarding a lack of power points. In many of these rooms we have added extra power points for this reason, so we will ensure that all rooms on the 17th floor have been done to this standard to make things easier for our guests.

Your comments regarding the hair in the shower is very disappointing to read, as the hotel prides itself on the level of cleanliness provided in the room. I have passed on this feedback to the Housekeeping Manager for them to follow up with the cleaner who works on that floor.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Executive Assistant Manager

P.S I note your suggestion regarding street parking, however it should be noted that some parking areas outside the hotel are clearway zones from 7am until 9am and we have had the times before when guests have gone out to find their cars towed away. My advise would be to double read the signs before parking on the street, or to be safe park in the hotel car park.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Booked online as travelling to Tassie on ferry with car. stayed in a cabin on the Tassie Ferry and it was 6 stars compared to our room in Melbourne.
Room was soooo small, bar fridge didn't even keep contents cool let alone cold. Curtains very dated, musty smell and just plain bad especially from description on net. Only positive was check-in staff however parking attendant was !!!!!. As we were catching early ferry needed to get car out of parking before private car park attendant arrived.....took us nearly 1/2 an hour to find someone who knew how to get out. On return trip we were going to stay a couple of nights in Melobourne as never been before but as soon as we got off the ferry we couldn't get out of town quickeer enough.

Room Tip: Don't bother but if you do don't try and get your car out early!!!!
6  Thank Leane M
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Leane,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

I am sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your stay at the hotel. From the description you provided of the room, I make the assumption that you have booked to stay in one of our Economy Rooms which is our discounted lead-in room type. These rooms had not been refurbished in January when you stayed and were priced accordingly.

Over January and February we have commenced refurbishment of these rooms, and this process will be completed by May and we believe any of the issues you encountered in that room during your stay with us will be resolved with this refurbishment.

In regards to the car park, I am sorry you found the service to be below standard. The car park within the hotel premises is operated by a separate company which provides discounted rates to hotel guests. They are not open 24 hrs but the hotel is able to provide guests with access and exit after hours should it be required. I am sorry there was some confusion in the morning of your departure.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

My Husband and I have Traveled all over the World and have stayed in many Hotels and on a recent trip to Melbourne were lucky to have found the Hotel Grand Chancellor in the middle of Melbourne,it is a Gorgeous little Boutique Hotel in Lonsdale St that was perfect for Our needs.Close to Shopping,Theatres Etc.It was Fantastic in every way and found it to be very Homely, with Friendly and Polite Staff who were only too happy to accomadate Our needs.Our Room was Divine and Spotless, the Bed was Perfect and We had the best Nights Sleep in a long time.Crisp White Linen and Modern Furnishings with a Great View of Melbourne.We had Meals (Breakfast & Dinner) in the Hotel's Restaurant that was just Beautiful with a Good choice of Wines and once again could not fault the Staff who looked after Us Perfectly.Looking forward to another trip to Melb to stay in this Great reasonably priced Hotel.

Room Tip: Perfect Inner City Melb Accomadation
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed for two nights and couldn't wait to leave. It may have been a four star hotel 25 years ago but I don't think any money has been spent since. Tired is a polite word to describe the room. Old worn out carpet, furniture and bathroom fittings. The corridors were filthy and the cleanliness of our room was appalling. (We found possessions belonging to the previous guests). Cheap fixtures, linens etc. Needs total renovation before considering another stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Alison S
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I booked over the internet and i don't know how this is a five star hotel it's discusting, I checked in and when i walked into my room I wanted to cry I've never felt like that.
There were stains everywhere the curtains were ripped, carpet was lifting from the edges, the cupboards were dirty i didnt even want to sit down anywhere. The bathroom had mould in the bath and around the tap and stunk like a homeless man had been squatting in the room if you feel like you need to wear thongs in the shower then you probably shouldn't stay there, it was bad!!!!! I lasted ten minutes in that room then called reception and checked out they asked me if I wanted to be moved to another room I said I was terrified to see another one of there rooms, they should be shut down demolished or call themselves a ymca

Room Tip: Don't stay here do yourself a favor
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Igor T
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights Christmas 2012. Absolutely awful hotel - supposed to be 4 star but found it to be 2 at best.
Basically like staying in a bad motel. Wardrobe drawers would not open. Wardrobe door would not shut, drawers in wardrobe when prised open were water stained - I would not put my shoes in there. Same goes for beside tables - had not been vacuumed out for months. Glass to windows and door to balcony had not been cleaned for many years literally. Occupants of other rooms very noisy & inconsiderate making it impossible to sleep. Very run down - not worth considering no matter how good the rate is. Requires a complete refurbishment - better still knockdown & rebuild.
Have stayed at Grant Chancellor Hobart & also Launceston so feel very let down by the fake star rating and name of this hotel.

5  Thank murphyco
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Murphy,

I am sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your stay at the hotel and you found the standard of the room to be below your expectation.

Noting your comments regarding refurbishment, I am pleased to advise that the hotel is currently undergoing a complete refurbishment, at the end of which every room in the hotel will have been modernized and improved. From the description you gave of your hotel room, I would make the assumption that you booked an Economy Room which is the basic room type within the hotel. These rooms are currently getting improved furniture, new carpets, curtains and beds as well as improvements to the bathrooms. We believe that this will bring the standard of these rooms much more in line with your expectations.

In regards to the star rating of the hotel, it has been independently assessed by AAA Tourism and judged to be a 4 Star Hotel. Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne does not self rate its product.