“Average quality - ridiculous price”

Grand Chancellor Melbourne
Ranked #102 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Outrageous price due to the AFL final weekend.
Small Boxy 'Executive Room' which had a 3rd bed in when we checked in, leaving absolutely no room to move. Very quickly removed by hotel staff. Balcony was small with no seating, table or anything and is overlooked by surrounding rooms.
Location is superb for theatres and city centre. Very helpful staff, and good parking although expensive at $20 night.
Room was very small, and the shower was scalding hot, which took a long time to adjust. It would be very easy to get burnt by the shower if not careful, and a real risk for children.
Restaurant was good, and the Saturday Steak Special was excellent. Buffet breakfast average, and typical. Even the coffee is self service.
Not npleasant, but would try somwhere else next time

Room Tip: 1601 has a terrible outlook. Clean, small, shower took a great deal of adjustment to get he right te...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

I am glad to read you enjoyed the interactions with our staff and you found the restaurant food to be of good quality. I am also glad to read you found the room to be clean and that the location was convenient to you.

In regards to the other issues you raised in your review, I have investigated them on your behalf. The rates you paid are significantly higher than the normal rates the hotel charges, and this was due to the dates you stayed were over a significant special event in Melbourne. The AFL Grand Final is arguably the busiest night of the year for Melbourne hotels and the rates that we and the other hotels in the market charge are reflective of that. No matter the date or the level of demand, at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne we always pride ourselves on being competitive to the market price, and providing good value for money. I can assume that is one of the reasons why you chose to stay with us over other hotels in Melbourne that weekend.

Similarly, the cost that the hotel charges for parking is periodically checked to ensure that is competitive within the marketplace. From our research, we find $20 per night is a very competitive price for hotel parking, especially when our parking service is "Semi valet' when the attendant can park the car for you. However, I am sorry that you found it to be too expensive.

I am sorry to read that you found the size of the room to be insufficient and the outlook to be disappointing. Our Executive Rooms are not the largest rooms in the hotel, and some (like 1601 where you stayed) are towards the back of the building. Our hotel was built in the early 70's and when constructed was the only tall building on the block. The building was designed to take in the views up and down Lonsdale Street so many of the rooms are along the side of the building. Unfortunately as Melbourne has developed, more tall buildings have been constructed alongside the hotel, which now restricts the outlook from some of the rooms.

In regards to the water issues you faced, I have reported this to the Maintenance department to check. Due to the age of the building, sometimes the water pressure is not as high as we would like it, which can cause issues with temperature control. We are currently investing in some further pumps to assist in this area, which will resolve these issues permanently.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you next travel to Melbourne.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Close to transport, city shops, Carlton supermarket and eateries. Rooms are a little old-fashioned but comfortable and cozy. Handy having a balcony to check what the weather's like outside before venturing down. There is a huge swimming pool, outdoors and heated but very cold when i was there. There were a few minor problems with the room but I got very prompt and cheerful service when I asked for help

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank maidmaria
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Maid Maria,
I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found our rooms comfortable. I am sorry to read that Melbourne didn't put on some warm weather for you while you were here, so you couldn't enjoy the heated pool on the roof, but hopefully on your return visit the weather will be a bit more kind. The pool is always heated to about 27 degrees, but unfortunately that doesn't make it any warmer once you climb out!
I am very glad to hear that you found our service to be efficient and friendly, which is just the way it should be.
In regards to your comments regarding the rooms being a little old-fashioned, I am pleased to advise that these rooms are scheduled for some refurbishment in the coming months, including replacement of the furniture and upgrading of some other items like carpets and curtains. This will certainly bring the rooms to an even better standard.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The Hotel Grand Chancellor in Melbourne offers a clean and comfortable room in a great location--right by China Town, near public transportation, within walking distance of many great places to see. The staff is competent and friendly but the front desk seemed under-staffed during my stay (long waits to check in and out, etc.). I did not try the restaurant.

I had two major concerns about this hotel. First, internet access is ridiculously expensive--more than $30 per night! There's no wireless, either--you will need to be connected to your computer via ethernet cable. This isn't the end of the world, but it does mean that you can't use your iPhone or other wireless Internet device, and you can't work comfortably with your laptop on the bed or any other place other than where the cable is. If you are traveling for pleasure, all this might not bother you, but if you are a business traveler who needs internet access (as I was) it was very inconvenient--and way too expensive.

The other concern is that the front entrance only has stairs (no ramp) and there's no bellman. Unfortunately, I happened to be traveling with a very heavy suitcase and had recently injured my knee, so getting the suitcase up and down the stairs was more troublesome than in other places I've stayed! If you are a guest who uses a wheelchair, I'm not quite sure what the hotel has available for accessibility, so you'd have to check with them.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FMD126
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear FMD,

I am glad to read you enjoyed our rooms and found our staff to be friendly and courteous. I understand you found the desk to be a bit busy at times, and this can be the case during peak check-in and check-out times due to the busy nature of the property. Our staff certainly do their utmost to ensure we serve our guests as quickly and efficiently as possible.

In regards to your comments about the internet service the hotel offers, this is an issue we are well aware of and are in the process of negotiating with suppliers to implement a fully wireless solution to the hotel as soon as possible. Due to the double brick construction of the building, it makes it more complicated for our suppliers to install and we are working through those complications at the moment. We anticipate wireless being installed in the next few months.

Thank you for your comments regarding the front stairs of the hotel. This is also an issue we are aware of, but due to the design of the hotel we are unable to provide a ramp with a gradual enough gradient for it to be usable. There is a ramp at the front of the hotel however which goes down to the hotel's car park. From there guests are able to access the lobby through the elevator. This is generally the access advice we also provide to our guests in wheelchairs.

Thank you again for your comments and we wish you safe travels in future.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

For 5 years this hotel has been our hotel of choice when staying in Melbourne For value you are treated too a perfect stay Try having a dip in the rooftop pool at 10.30pm on an August night when the outside temp is 9 sheer bliss The hotel is located 5min walk from Swanson St or 2 min from the main supermaket, bottle store, or food court What more do you need/

Room Tip: We use Wotif and get the rooms on the higher floors. The spa bath rooms are not good value as the sp...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Dear Wazdot,

I am very glad to read that you enjoy your regular stays at the hotel, and that you find our location convenient. I agree, that where the hotel is situated is perfect for all that Melbourne has to offer, and the local conveniences are also very useful!

In regards to the room tip you provided, the spa rooms are actually scheduled for a complete refurbishment in the coming months, so on your return you may wish to consider that room type again, as after the update they will be very nice rooms indeed.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I cannot agree in any way with the previous bad review. My experience was that it was a perfect choice for a short stay. Staff were helpful, efficient and cheerful. Several went out of their way to accommodate my specific needs. The room was excellent, clean and entirely what I needed. The roof top pool was beautiful, even in the rain. The night view of the city lights from the pool area was impressive. Location is perfect - close to the Queen Victoria Centre with shops and restaurants. Evening meal at the hotel was great value for money. In all a great place to stay and good value for money. Will return and highly recommend. Have stayed here once before.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony and street view. Noise is not an issue at night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Toby and Celeste,

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us, and that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly - something the hotel always prides itself on is the service it can provide to our guests.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you next decide to visit Melbourne.

Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was a waste of time and money. The only good thing about it is the location, but there are plenty more better places to stay in the same area.
The room was dirty, staff at check in we're unfriendly and did not offer any help to carry bags. Bathrooms drain blocked. Old moldy soap was shoved behind the basin, not cleaned up! Balcony door was broken - the manager had to jiggle the lock to get it fixed. We pressed the Reception button on the phone and started to complain, only to be told we had called another room - the phones weren't programmed correctly.
Even after complaining and receiving a free upgrade, the new room was substandard, the shower had hairs and stains in it, basin had no drain and i had to run the shower for 5-10 mibutes to get warm enough water to have a shower. walls were cracked and rusty parts of the bathroom... And this was supposed to be their premier suite!
This place was horrible. Don't be fooled by the name, it is not fit for any chancellory!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank teekayem

Dear Teekayem,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review of the Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne after your recent stay at the hotel.
Following my reading of your review I have investigated the issues you raised regarding your stay at the hotel.

Firstly your feeling that the welcome by the hotel was unfriendly is very disappointing. The hotel prides itself on the level of service it provides our guests, and that you were not provided a warm and friendly greeting is very disappointing. The computer records the staff member's ID who checked you in, so we will be doing further training of this staff member to ensure more friendly greetings in the future. In regards to the luggage service, as a 4 star hotel we do not offer porterage, however on request we are certainly more than happy to assist you.

Now, in relation to your in-room experience this is very saddening to hear. I have already followed up with Housekeeping as to how your room could be so badly presented on arrival. The presence of hairs or old soap is far from an acceptable standard for this hotel, and I have insisted that the cleaner concerned be comprehensively supervised and retrained so that these instances to not occur again.
It is standard procedure for the arrival rooms to be extensively checked by a supervisor prior to arrival, and these issues that you raise *should* have been picked up on this inspection. I am currently conducting a thorough review of these practices to see how such blatant errors could be missed.

In relation to the telephone not being programmed properly, this is unfortunate and I apologise for the inconvenience. I can only suspect that the maintenance personnel who installed the phone made a mistake with the key entries for the presets (there is only 1 number different between the restaurant and reception extensions - the hotel reports from your stay show that the preset problem was to the restaurant not to another room like you state in your review. The room extension numbers are completely different to the department extensions in our phone system). This has now been rectified.

I have inspected the Superior Room you were complementary upgraded to after your initial complaint regarding the Chancellor Room you were checked-in to. I could not find any rust in the bathroom or the staining that you mention. I also found no hairs in there, but the room has been cleaned and stayed in a number of times since your visit. The Superior Rooms are scheduled for a major refurbishment later this year, and this includes the bathrooms being completely renovated and new furniture both hard and soft being installed. We feel this will bring the Superior Rooms to an even higher standard.

Once again thank you for your review and your feedback. It has highlighted some potential problems within the systems currently being undertaken and allows me the opportunity to investigate further to ensure there is no repeat of the issues you encountered.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

chose this hotel as it was close to the venue for some business meetings. i had an executive room, which is well past its use by date. worn furniture and dated bathroom. apart from that everything worked well, except a lack of electrical outlets - to recharge my laptop i had to disconnect television. tiny balconies with not much of a view.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Greg,

I'm glad to read that you found our location convenient to your meetings, and I hope you got to enjoy some of the great attractions that Melbourne has to offer as well.
I am sorry to read that you found the furniture and bathrooms in our Executive Room to be dated. These rooms were comprehensively refurbished a few years ago, so the furniture and bathrooms are actually quite new. However we have these rooms due for a refresh again in the coming months, with all new furniture being installed.
Thank you for your comment regarding the lack of electrical outlets. This is not a comment I have heard before, but we will certainly investigate improving power point access for our guests when we revisit the rooms in the next refresh.
Thank you very much for your feedback!