“Do not stay here”

Ranked #102 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth
“Do not stay here”
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was a waste of time and money. The only good thing about it is the location, but there are plenty more better places to stay in the same area.
The room was dirty, staff at check in we're unfriendly and did not offer any help to carry bags. Bathrooms drain blocked. Old moldy soap was shoved behind the basin, not cleaned up! Balcony door was broken - the manager had to jiggle the lock to get it fixed. We pressed the Reception button on the phone and started to complain, only to be told we had called another room - the phones weren't programmed correctly.
Even after complaining and receiving a free upgrade, the new room was substandard, the shower had hairs and stains in it, basin had no drain and i had to run the shower for 5-10 mibutes to get warm enough water to have a shower. walls were cracked and rusty parts of the bathroom... And this was supposed to be their premier suite!
This place was horrible. Don't be fooled by the name, it is not fit for any chancellory!!!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank teekayem
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Teekayem,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review of the Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne after your recent stay at the hotel.
Following my reading of your review I have investigated the issues you raised regarding your stay at the hotel.

Firstly your feeling that the welcome by the hotel was unfriendly is very disappointing. The hotel prides itself on the level of service it provides our guests, and that you were not provided a warm and friendly greeting is very disappointing. The computer records the staff member's ID who checked you in, so we will be doing further training of this staff member to ensure more friendly greetings in the future. In regards to the luggage service, as a 4 star hotel we do not offer porterage, however on request we are certainly more than happy to assist you.

Now, in relation to your in-room experience this is very saddening to hear. I have already followed up with Housekeeping as to how your room could be so badly presented on arrival. The presence of hairs or old soap is far from an acceptable standard for this hotel, and I have insisted that the cleaner concerned be comprehensively supervised and retrained so that these instances to not occur again.
It is standard procedure for the arrival rooms to be extensively checked by a supervisor prior to arrival, and these issues that you raise *should* have been picked up on this inspection. I am currently conducting a thorough review of these practices to see how such blatant errors could be missed.

In relation to the telephone not being programmed properly, this is unfortunate and I apologise for the inconvenience. I can only suspect that the maintenance personnel who installed the phone made a mistake with the key entries for the presets (there is only 1 number different between the restaurant and reception extensions - the hotel reports from your stay show that the preset problem was to the restaurant not to another room like you state in your review. The room extension numbers are completely different to the department extensions in our phone system). This has now been rectified.

I have inspected the Superior Room you were complementary upgraded to after your initial complaint regarding the Chancellor Room you were checked-in to. I could not find any rust in the bathroom or the staining that you mention. I also found no hairs in there, but the room has been cleaned and stayed in a number of times since your visit. The Superior Rooms are scheduled for a major refurbishment later this year, and this includes the bathrooms being completely renovated and new furniture both hard and soft being installed. We feel this will bring the Superior Rooms to an even higher standard.

Once again thank you for your review and your feedback. It has highlighted some potential problems within the systems currently being undertaken and allows me the opportunity to investigate further to ensure there is no repeat of the issues you encountered.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed August 31, 2012

chose this hotel as it was close to the venue for some business meetings. i had an executive room, which is well past its use by date. worn furniture and dated bathroom. apart from that everything worked well, except a lack of electrical outlets - to recharge my laptop i had to disconnect television. tiny balconies with not much of a view.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Greg,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.
I'm glad to read that you found our location convenient to your meetings, and I hope you got to enjoy some of the great attractions that Melbourne has to offer as well.
I am sorry to read that you found the furniture and bathrooms in our Executive Room to be dated. These rooms were comprehensively refurbished a few years ago, so the furniture and bathrooms are actually quite new. However we have these rooms due for a refresh again in the coming months, with all new furniture being installed.
Thank you for your comment regarding the lack of electrical outlets. This is not a comment I have heard before, but we will certainly investigate improving power point access for our guests when we revisit the rooms in the next refresh.
Thank you very much for your feedback!
Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is the 3rd time we have stayed here, this time with a larger group with 5 rooms. Beds were very comfortable, but the rest of the hotel is getting tired. Staff are young, inexperienced and the majority were not willing to offer support or suggestions when queries arose (although there were a coupe of exceptions). There is also no Wi-Fi, with the suggestion we go to the cafe down the road, and or pay for broadband $30.80 per day! Add to that a credit card surcharge for settling accounts, and these guys are not helping themselves at all.
Sorry, but that's our last stay unless things change.

Room Tip: The superior room was a lot larger, but the brekky option was expensive at $21 each for the buffet...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear Julian,
I am glad you enjoyed the bed in your hotel room, and if you stayed in one of the larger Superior Front Rooms, I am pleased to inform you that these rooms are scheduled for a complete refurbishment throughout this year and next. They will be completely refreshed with new bathrooms, furniture and curtains, which will totally change and improve the look and feel of the rooms. I am sure you will find it much improved on your next visit.
I am surprised to read that you found our buffet breakfast to be poor value for money. The hotel did a survey of hotel breakfasts in Melbourne and the average price in a 4 star hotel is about $27 (some go as high as $40), so we feel our full buffet breakfast at $21 is good value for money. If you wish to get it even cheaper, you can pre-book a bed and breakfast rate which would bring down the cost to closer to $10 per person.
In regards to the credit card surcharge, again the hotel did a survey of hotels in Melbourne and found that the great majority are now charging a nominal surcharge for use of a credit card for payment. The 1.5% surcharge we charge is for all credit cards (not Eftpos) and we don't charge extra like some businesses for American Express of Diners Club. This charge covers a percentage of the merchant fee charged to the hotel by the bank for the "privilege" of being able to accept credit cards. We do not charge the full fee, and if you wish to avoid it you are able to pay with either Eftpos or of course cash.
Once again thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Melbourne.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This hotel was not a bad place to stay, but the service was lacking, staff were not overly friendly, approachable or helpful.
The room was comfortable, clean and the location was handy - breakfast was not included in my booking, which was disappointing given the price paid, but the Greek restaurant down the road was handy and open 24 hours, and awesome food. Would probably stay here again if I had to, but only because of the location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Aussie,
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room and found it clean and comfortable, and agree that our location is very handy to all the great aspects of Melbourne. Also glad to read you enjoyed our local 24hr Greek restaurant, always handy for that 3am souvlaki!
However I am surprised and saddened to read that you were dissatisfied with the guest service experience you encountered. Typically the service aspect of our hotel is always very highly regarded, and we take pride in the level of service can provide our guests. At this stage all I can say is assure you that the service levels you encountered are not typical for this hotel. I would be very interested to know further details in this regard, so please feel free to email me as I would appreciate the opportunity to follow it up.
Email: feedback@hgcmelbourne.com.au
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had 2 nights at the Grand Chancellor for an excellent rate we secured with breakfast included. We arrived by the Skybus from the airport & used their free hotel shuttle to the hotel door. The only negative we had in experience wise was with a pram we had to negotiate the steps as there wasn’t a ramp from street level but through the carpark. We could get to our room on arriving & the staff member was friendly at reception when we were checking in. Our room & bathroom were small but we didn’t plan to be in the room long as we were in Melbourne after all! The room was okay but a refresh to it would give it a higher rating. Our room was near the elevator and there was noise outside the door so would suggest asking for a room away from the elevator if a light sleeper. The breakfast had good options. The location of this hotel is wonderful. There are so many things just steps away from the hotel shops, restaurants, bars, theatres and the Greek zone of Melbourne that we found the nearby streets enjoyable to discover plus the other areas of Melbourne we are familiar with.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the elevators if a light sleeper
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank WonderSuper
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Beach_Specialists,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.
Firstly, I believe the stay date of June 2012 may be a bit inaccurate, as the photographs you have provided do not reflect the current room stock, as many aspects of the soft furnishings and the television have been replaced at least 12 months ago. All our rooms now come equipped with LCD Flat Screen TVs and there have been further upgrades to the soft furnishings and linen.
I would suggest that perhaps your stay was closer to June 2011 or earlier, or the photos attached to your review are from an earlier stay.
That aside, I am glad you enjoyed the stay at the hotel and found the staff to be friendly and the breakfast to be enjoyable. We constantly work on updating and improving our breakfast options so if you decide to return I am sure you would find it even better.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back one day in the future.
Melbourne Central
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Very centrally located and within walking distance of the railway station. Bed was very comfortable. It would be helpful to have an "access" rating. Access up the steps to the entry with heavy cases was difficult. You can not really leave your luggage on the busy footpath and go in to ask for help. There were no notices indicating if there was an alternative, accessible entrace or a ramp. My room was clean and comfortable but "tired" looking and it had a very stale smell. It was also extremely dark, due to being alongside a tall building. There was a constant loud fan noise coming from a vent in the bathroom. This couldn not be turned off so continued all night. The desk lamp was not working. Fortunately, I was only there for one night. The room was a good price. I thought this was because it was mid-week, If I'd realised the price was also related to the above discomforts, I would have paid a bit more for a fresher, quieter room in a more accessible hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear Christine,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.
I am glad to read you found the hotel to be both clean and good value for money but take note of your comments regarding the access difficulties you had from our Lonsdale Street entrance.

There is an alternative entry point to the hotel through the carpark (with the driveway for this being adjacent to the front doors) which provides an elevator to the lobby. Unfortunately due to the way the hotel was originally built, there is no alternative we have in terms of the stairs at the front and the council will not allow the hotel to further extend the entrance into the footpath.

Although the rate you paid was low, this does not mean that the desk lamp shouldn't work or that there should be light coming in from the corridor. The hotel will investigate these issues in the room that you stayed to ensure they are rectified for future guests.
In regards to the hotel's location, next to other buildings, this is an unfortunate pay off for being in such an inner-city location.

Thank you again for your review.
Victoria
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Chancellor on a Saturday night in early June, and it’s disappointing to see so many negative reviews. Either people don’t read enough about the property and what it offers, or their expectations are just unrealistic. However ignorance should not be an excuse for giving a bad review on what we saw as a decent property, good facilities, great location, friendly service and very good value for money.
Let’s start with the property itself. We stayed in an Executive room. It is one of the newly refurbished rooms – and it was brilliant. It had a nice and clean big bed, bathrobes, slippers, mini-bar, great TV with Foxtel, balcony... The list goes on. Brilliant bathroom with a lovely and strong shower head. Awesome showers. Yes, the balcony was not big > but it’s sufficient for your basic requirements (i.e. having a cigarette). Ours was at the front of the building, and had a great view of the church across the road.
Location is awesome – as many have mentioned. A quick walk down to Chinatown, 10 minutes to the Casino, plenty of public transport straight out the front of the hotel. They also have valet parking which we had included in our rate at no extra cost – and it’s brilliant. Drive your car in, get a ticket, they park it safely for you until you check out or decide to use it again.
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and patient with us – from the lady who helped my partner book over the phone, to the valet guy who was my personal favourite. Nothing was too hard – even when we asked silly questions as most tourists do.
Finally, value for money. We stayed for 1 night on a Saturday night, and what we paid I would think they would not make a lot of profit on. I work in the industry, and I have a rough idea of what % of a stay is profit. Ours would not have been much. When you add up customer service, maintenance and cleaning (on Sunday rates), they could charge a LOT more than what they do.
People have expressed their disappointment about the pool being closed - it was communicated on the booking confirmation email that the pool would be closed. It was also advertised on their website. How people can mark a property down for this point I have no idea - how can you be disappointed by properties taking the time to upgrade their facilities?!
Overall, we would stay here again ~ my advice is that you need to take the very negative reviews with a grain of salt. A really big one.

Room Tip: - Ask for a room towards the front. There is a bit of noise but it abates as the night goes on. Yo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KJonholidays
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear KDeretic,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us, and our staff always appreciate positive feedback about the services they provide.
The hotel always prides itself on the quality of service and the value that we can provide as a four star hotel in the Melbourne CBD, and I am refreshed to read your understanding of our market placement.
The swimming pool refurbishment is now completed, and the works that we have done are certainly worth the wait as the pool is now a greatly improved environment to enjoy, and I am sure once summer rolls around our guests will enjoy it thoroughly.
Once again thank you for your review, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne