“Great value”

Ranked #41 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Country Vctora
“Great value”
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Although rooms are small, they are well appointed. Staff very friendly. Good location. Very clean. Will stay again. Very good price. Try and get a room at the back as those at the front can get noisy. Meal was good value and although there was a slight mix up with my order all fixed with a sincere apology and a smile.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear janedoe58,
Thank you for your recent review.
It’s great to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and how friendly you had found our team to be. Our apologies for any mix up in the café, however it is great to see it was dealt with sincerely and professionally. We would love to have you stay again, please let our friendly reservations team know when you are planning to return to Melbourne and they will certainly ensure you are well looked after.
Warmest Regards
Calisha and the Pensione Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Foster, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Looking for a cheapish hotel for one night while my Melbourne pied-à-terre is uninhabitable, I settled on a $90 room at the Pensione and was prepared for the worst. As soon as I saw the facade I knew I'd lucked in, however, and things just got better from there. This place has both style and heart - extremely important for me. The lovely young man who checked me in could have been the owner, so engaged and engaging was he. The clean, simple lines of the reno beautifully integrated into the fabulous old building was pleasing me at every turn. I eschewed the intriguing original spiral staircase rising from the foyer and exited the lift into a large, cleverly-appointed open space on the first floor. No long boring corridor to plod along here - a fascinating, well-signed meander led to my cute little room, which provided even more cause for contentment. Everything about the design of the room was considered, and very nicely executed. Small, yeah... but let's call it 'bijou' and remember we're talking about a sub-$100 room in a buzzing quarter of a capital city. The large window looked across a small lane onto a superb facade of aged brick wall dotted with fascinating windows, many open and providing glimpses of real life - and isn't that one of the main reasons we travel? My accommodation gamble had paid off handsomely: I had felt good since the moment I walked in off Spencer Street, and nothing that occurred in the following 24 hours changed my mood. Have already spent time checking out the other establishments in the boutique 8Hotels group, including some fabulous-looking apartments in some of the best bits of Paris. When yet another smiling and helpful young fellow checked me out and mentioned that returning guests - without signing up to any complicated rewards scheme - have a 10% reduction at all of the hotels, I knew it will just be a matter of time before I dive deeper into the lovely 8Hotels pool.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank AnneRoussacHoyne
Dear AnneRoussacHoyne,
Thank you for your lovely review.
We are thrilled to read of your experience at the Pensione Melbourne and are overwhelmed to hear that we had left such a lasting impression on you. The Pensione Hotel aims to offer affordable accommodation with a guest orientated philosophy and it is certainly wonderful to hear this was the case.
Thank you also for your kind words in relation to our team, we are quite fortunate to have such an enthusiastic bunch of individuals working with us who really enjoy taking the time to look after all our guests.
Should you ever wish to return to the Pensione or you are interested in staying at any of our sister 8Hotels properties within Australia or abroad, please feel free to contact our friendly reservations team who would be delighted to make inquiries on your behalf. Our teams will certainly ensure that your next experience at any of our 8Hotels properties is equally delightful as the first.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Kadina, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed here for one night recently as we had a concert to go to in Melbourne. We chose this hotel as it was very close to Etihad stadium and was reasonably priced.

Room: yes the actual room was very small, but it was perfect for what we needed it for. Just a place to crash for the night. However if we were to return to Melbourne for say a week I would pick somewhere with a bit more space. We had a tiny bathroom, very comfy bed (had the best sleep in ages there and made me want to go home and buy a new mattress) and a TV with a few channels, which was great after travelling and a full on concert.

Location: Fantastic, we very close to the stadium for our concert (about a 15 minute walk, we didn’t hurry though) lots of shops nearby to get food, and the tram stoped right out the form of the hotel. I also noticed the aquarium and casino were both very close by, but unfortunatly we didn’t have time to go.

Service: great, we booked through expedia and it was a very smooth and easy procedure. They knew we were coming and our room was even ready for us early. The reception ladies were great and very helpful. The hotel uses a nearby car park and if you tell them you have parked in there overnight they get it cheaper for you and give you a card (which you return) to swipe out of the car park if you pay for it at the hotel. (It was $20 for an overnight undercover car park through the hotel. The car park its self-charged $55per night so quite a saving)

Included breakfast: Nothing special, just toast and cereal, which honestly is more than enough for me it’s what I normally eat anyway. (I think I have been spoiled by the buffet breakfasts you get in Thailand and Bali, so this was nothing compared to that) If you want a cooked breakfast this is also available at a cost.

Overall I was very happy with my stay and would gladly return for another short trip. If I was after a longer stay however I would probably try somewhere else. We did only book the standard room though so they may have bigger rooms that would be fine for a longer stay.

Room Tip: we had a ground floor room, very easy to get to after a big night
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marley88kadinaSA
Dear marley88kadinaSA,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay!
We are thrilled to read of your overall experience at the Pensione and are glad to hear you made such great use of our location! We are so fortunate to be so close to so many of Melbourne’s hot spots and it’s great to hear your concert was so close – we hope you had fun!
In regards to the size of your room should you ever wish to stay again we can certainly allocate you into one of our larger room types which will provide you with that extra little bit of leg room for a longer stay. Should you ever wish to book again please feel free to contact our friendly reservations team who will ensure that you will be well looked after for your next stay. We love our return guests!
Hope to see you soon!
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I don't know if this concerns all rooms in this hotel, but this is what I saw in my room. Too small, with a really narrow single bed, and with a window hidden somewhere up there, about 3.5-4 meters above the floor. Not only not opening, but even not visible. Otherwise the place was decently comfortable, wi-fi was paid, but at least it worked fine. Location is just perfect: 5 minutes from Southern Cross train and bus station - the place where the buses to and from both airports operate 24 hours, and where you can catch trains for most destinations. I would hardly go there again without exploring other options, but I don't regret choosing this hotel. But my rating for it is average.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with windows - if they have any ;-)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear thomasbg,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.
Please accept our apologies that you found our single rooms to be too small for you. They are indeed our most compact room type however the hotel does have many other options available which I am confident would have been offered to you had we been made aware of your discomfort.. Should you ever choose to stay with us again please contact the hotel directly. We would love to opportunity to offer you one of our spacious Double Rooms and ensure your next stay is comfortable and enjoyable.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 10, 2014

First of all, I traveled alone and this was my first trip to Melbourne so I had to consider three things in my choice of place to stay:

1. Location (should be easy to locate, accessible to public transport, near the CBD tourist sites--taxi fare from airport is almost 40$ though; but the place is very central and easy to find)
2. Comfort ( A place where I could have a decent stay, comfortable sleep, and warm accommodation)
3. Good Price ( Value for money hotel)

These three considerations (abovenoted) were fulfilled by the hotel and even exceeded my expectations because of the great staff they have---NICK was the most hospitable and most awesome employee here! He was not just helpful but also very entertaining to the customers-- he even gave some bonus service of singing and photo assistance too!

Almost every place is within walking distance from here--if not, the free citylink tram is a stone's throw away(but doesn't cause any noise in the hotel area itself-this place is beside some big hotels in Spencer also). They also have their own cafe right in front of the cozy, small lobby.

There's a lot of food stores around the area and there's even a 24-hour convenience store just on its left corner.

The room is average-sized. The bed and sheets are top quality--toiletry is basic but without toothbrush and toothpaste. The supply of clean towels are very good--daily cleaning of rooms are excellent as well. The bathroom size is small, but acceptable and okay enough. I like the fact that they have at least good channels to watch on TV too. Wifi is not free though--but I guess for their good room price, the wifi needs additional charge already. There's a fridge(but no complimentary water), electric pot, iron, hair dryer/blower, and enough cupboards for storage. Adapter may be needed for your plugging needs. The room was spot on for my short stay in Melbourne!

As a whole, I would not hesitate to stay here again and would recommend this place to anyone(have already shared my experience here with friends who are planning a trip as well).

PS. Thanks again to Nick --warmest Australian I've met here!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear NORMZZ,
Thank you for your lovely review.
We are thrilled to read of your experience at the Pensione and are glad our friendly team left such a lasting impression on you. It is also great to hear you made such good use of our facilities and location – we certainly are fortunate to be so close to many of Melbourne’s treasures!
Please feel free to contact our friendly team for your next stay with us or if you would like to make inquiries for any of our other 8Hotels within Australia or abroad. We love to look after our return guests!
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I rang to make my reservation. I got a good vibe from this call and it continued throughout my stay a few weeks later. The staff that I met are certainly an asset. Friendly, funny and helpful. My room was exceptionally clean and a good size. The bathroom was very small, but it contained everything that I needed. Not sure how you would go if you were 6ft and 100kg though….. I had a street facing room and although it was a little noisy with trams and trains…..I did not expect anything else, after all I was staying in the CBD of Melbourne! I had lovely big windows so my room seemed light and airy. The location is a short 1 minute stroll from southern cross station and the sky bus. I ate in the restaurant twice and had delicious meals. Hats off to the chef!

Room Tip: non street facing if you need it to be quiet to sleep.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Jebaroo,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay!
We are thrilled to hear that of your experience at the Pensione and thank you for your kind words in relation to the team. I have also passed on your comments to the Chef’s at Olivier’s – they certainly do make a mean brekky! Should you ever be travelling to Melbourne or indeed any of our 8Hotels properties within Australia or abroad please feel free to contact the friendly reception team here who will certainly ensure that your next stay with us will be as equally pleasant as the first.
See you soon!
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife statyed at the Pensione recently on a holiday from NZ, we were exhausted by the time we got to the hotel to find wifey had booked for March instead of Feb...The staff put our mind at ease and found us a room quickly and gave us everything we needed to know. Our room was small but we knew that when we booked it, it was clean and tidy and the rooftop area was quite nice. The trams and trains going past surprisingly didn't bother us, even added to the cbd atmosphere.
When heading out as lost Kiwis, we were given lots of advice from the staff, even personal favourites of were to dine, visit etc.. We ended up staying another night because we enjoyed it so much, and breakfast was fantastic!
As a longtime hospo worker I appreciated the hell out of all the service we got and highly recommend this place to anyone wanting a central room with not much fuss.
Keep up the good work guys!!

Room Tip: Petite rooms are exactly that but if you're a couple they are great!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ExFoH79,
Thank you for your recent review.
We are delighted to hear of your experience at the Pensione and are relieved the team were able to help you amend your booking so you could stay with us! The Pensione team and are all very big foodies so I’m thrilled to see that you received some wonderful recommendations on dining and even some popular places to visit. With so many wonderful places it’s easy to forget we’re so spoilt for choice!
Should you ever wish to stay with us again, or indeed any of our other 8Hotels properties within Australia or abroad, please feel free to give our friendly reservations team a call who will certainly ensure that your next visit will be as equally pleasant as the first.
We hope to see you soon!