Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$134
$124
  • Restaurant
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$171
$125
Hotels.com
$126
$117
  • Room Service
Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$93
  • Free Internet
$88
  • Bar/Lounge
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$158
$83
$79
  • Fitness center
Art Series - The Blackman(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$157
$127
$240
$145
Hotels.com
$230
$185
2,784 results
All reviewsshoebox roomsouthern cross stationgreat locationrooms are smallspencer streetshower doorshort staycrown casinothe ground floorsky bustrain stationdouble bedshort walkpublic transportone night staywould stay againfree tram
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I booked a twin room for a one night stay. The room was tiny! For the cost of the room I found this unacceptable. If the room been of a normal size I’d be writing a favourable review. Sub mariners would feel at home but definitely not a place for claustrophobics.

Room Tip: Ask about the size of your room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Greg O
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Greg O,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay!
Firstly please allow is to apologise that you had found your room to be less than satisfactory. The Pensione Hotel aims to provide clean and comfortable accommodation for guests from all walks of life and it is disappointing to hear that you did not find it so. With so many different room types available I am confident that had our friendly reception team been alerted to your distress, they would have certainly offered you a different room type in an effort to ensure you are as comfortable as possible.
Should you ever wish to return to Melbourne please feel free to give us a call as we would relish the opportunity to accommodate you in a larger room type and ensure you are well looked after.
We hope to welcome you again to the Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

An interesting building! Almost opposite Southern Cross Station, the hotel is conveniently located for transport and access to the city. There are 3 convenience stores nearby, as well as countless take-away stores and cafes.

The building has got a lot of character, so there are some delightful surprises and some weird quirks. The highlights are the central stairwell, the atriums and the rooftop (smokers) garden. The quirks are the unusual corridors and some of the room and bathroom layouts, especially one of the 3-share rooms which had a shower opening so small that many guests had to turn sideways to get into the shower.

Staff were professional and helpful, reception is open late.

Breakfast was a bit average, although staff were friendly and it is convenient. Some other guests preferred to take a short walk to nearby cafes.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms mean no waiting for the lift but no views. Window shades vary between rooms, some have blockout blinds, others just Venetians. Some 3-share rooms have tiny bathrooms with frosted glass doors and no latch. Petite doubles are small - might not be a good choice if you have a lot of luggage
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear tropicalpenguin,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay!
We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our facilities even with its endearing quirks! The building itself dates back to colonial Melbourne and has some very interesting features which we feel adds an overall charm! Our apologies however for any difficulties you may have experienced in regards to the bathrooms, we can certainly understand that they are quite cozy however the team and I are in the process of looking at new ways to make our existing facilities even more comfortable for our guests. Thank you for the kind words in relation to our team, we certainly find the most rewarding part of our jobs is taking the time to look after our guests whether its recommending some of our favorite restaurants or some of Melbourne’s other unique hot spots.
It is also disappointing to hear that you had found your breakfast to be average at Olivier’s. Generally we receive quite a lot of positive feedback in regards to our menu – please feel free to email me at your convenience with what you had found to be average and I will certainly follow up with the team. We are always looking to improve our services and facilities!

Should you ever be travelling to Melbourne again please feel free to contact our friendly reservations team who would be delighted to have the opportunity to make your next stay a memorable one.

Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in one of the standard rooms on the ground floor. It was clean but quite dated .

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The location is its main draw card, just down from Spencer St station.

I paid about $200p/n, ordinarily that would be a rip off for that room however I booked quite late and it was Australian Open weekend. The regular price for my room is about $80 which is quite reasonable.

I would stay here again for sure.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Dear Craig H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

We are so pleased to read how much you enjoyed our location and that you found our team friendly and helpful.

Thank you so much for your understanding with regards to our special event rates. Over peak times, our rates are indicative of our proximity to the arenas and availability in Melbourne. You are absolutely correct in saying that our usual rates for these rooms are between $80 - $140 per night. We aim to accommodate guests from all walks of life and therefore have an array of different room styles. I would love to be given the opportunity to offer you one of our larger, more modern rooms in future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I'm not really fussy about hotels - I'm really after a place that's one step above a hostel and is decently priced and clean. This place is in a really good location - not in the thick of things, but easy to get to via public transport and very close to the Skybus and Southern Cross station. Pensione looks really good from the outside; inside, it's a little less slick – the room I had was clean, basic, small, a little dated and old - there was actually an old piece of chewing gum on one side of the wardrobe, near the bed. The bed was comfy and clean, though.

The building must be rather old, because there were constant creaks in the ceiling and, so it made it a bit hard to sleep with that constant noise (and I lived next to a train station for four years, so I am not the lightest sleeper either).

I usually stay at the Best Western Atlantis, and given that it's a similar price and on the same street, I would recommend the Best Western Atlantis over this place - it's a lot newer and nicer and the staff are friendly and helpful, too. But if you're after somewhere that's just simple, small ("cosy"), clean, basic, unfussy, and in a good spot for getting around, then this would do the trick.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Dear ItlSydney,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay!
Its great to hear how much you enjoyed our position within the CBD, we are so fortunate to be so close to so many of Melbourne’s hot spots that it makes Pensione an ideal base to begin exploring our wonderful city. My sincerest apologies that you found chewing gum in your room. I have passed this information onto our housekeeping team to ensure all surface areas are thoroughly checked during cleaning. This is certainly something we take extremely seriously and I must say we have never experienced this before.
The building itself is a heritage listed property and most definitely has its quirks and I am terribly sorry that this disrupted your stay.
Should you be travelling to Melbourne again the future, I urge you to contact me directly. I would love to be given the opportunity to personally look after you and offer one of our refurbished and spacious Double Rooms.
I hope you hear from you.
Warmest Regards,

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed at the Pensione Hotel for a weekend away with friends. Like all the 8hotels boutiques it was quite nicely furbished. The big plus is its location. It's in the CBD but convenient to access from Southern Cross Station (which is connected to Tullermarine Airport by shuttle bus) and there is a tram stop a stones throw away. My only qualm was the bathroom, it was extremely small. Staying in a 3 bedded room, the toilet area was less than 2metres squared.
Otherwise a good place to stay, with a very helpful and friendly concierge.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank EvaS1711
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear EvaS1711,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.
We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed our location so much and that it was well suited for your needs. Our apologies however for any discomfort you may have experienced in regards to our bathrooms. We can certainly understand that they can be quite compact however the team and I are constantly in the process of looking for new ways to improve our facilities. Unfortunately due to the heritage listing of the property we are unable to make any structural changes however we would love to hear any ideas that you may have!
Please let us know if you are ever returning to Melbourne as we would to have the opportunity to look after you again.
We hope to see you again soon!
Calish and the Pensione Team