“Good location, clean, basic, just a little old and creaky”

Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels
Ranked #43 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Good location, clean, basic, just a little old and creaky”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I'm not really fussy about hotels - I'm really after a place that's one step above a hostel and is decently priced and clean. This place is in a really good location - not in the thick of things, but easy to get to via public transport and very close to the Skybus and Southern Cross station. Pensione looks really good from the outside; inside, it's a little less slick – the room I had was clean, basic, small, a little dated and old - there was actually an old piece of chewing gum on one side of the wardrobe, near the bed. The bed was comfy and clean, though.

The building must be rather old, because there were constant creaks in the ceiling and, so it made it a bit hard to sleep with that constant noise (and I lived next to a train station for four years, so I am not the lightest sleeper either).

I usually stay at the Best Western Atlantis, and given that it's a similar price and on the same street, I would recommend the Best Western Atlantis over this place - it's a lot newer and nicer and the staff are friendly and helpful, too. But if you're after somewhere that's just simple, small ("cosy"), clean, basic, unfussy, and in a good spot for getting around, then this would do the trick.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear ItlSydney,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay!
Its great to hear how much you enjoyed our position within the CBD, we are so fortunate to be so close to so many of Melbourne’s hot spots that it makes Pensione an ideal base to begin exploring our wonderful city. My sincerest apologies that you found chewing gum in your room. I have passed this information onto our housekeeping team to ensure all surface areas are thoroughly checked during cleaning. This is certainly something we take extremely seriously and I must say we have never experienced this before.
The building itself is a heritage listed property and most definitely has its quirks and I am terribly sorry that this disrupted your stay.
Should you be travelling to Melbourne again the future, I urge you to contact me directly. I would love to be given the opportunity to personally look after you and offer one of our refurbished and spacious Double Rooms.
I hope you hear from you.
Warmest Regards,
Calisha and the Pensione Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed at the Pensione Hotel for a weekend away with friends. Like all the 8hotels boutiques it was quite nicely furbished. The big plus is its location. It's in the CBD but convenient to access from Southern Cross Station (which is connected to Tullermarine Airport by shuttle bus) and there is a tram stop a stones throw away. My only qualm was the bathroom, it was extremely small. Staying in a 3 bedded room, the toilet area was less than 2metres squared.
Otherwise a good place to stay, with a very helpful and friendly concierge.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank EvaS1711
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear EvaS1711,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.
We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed our location so much and that it was well suited for your needs. Our apologies however for any discomfort you may have experienced in regards to our bathrooms. We can certainly understand that they can be quite compact however the team and I are constantly in the process of looking for new ways to improve our facilities. Unfortunately due to the heritage listing of the property we are unable to make any structural changes however we would love to hear any ideas that you may have!
Please let us know if you are ever returning to Melbourne as we would to have the opportunity to look after you again.
We hope to see you again soon!
Calish and the Pensione Team
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I found this hotel on one of the booking sites. I had never heard of it before.
How sad, considering how great it is.
After looking for hotels in Melbourne while the tennis was on I found the prices rather high.
This caught my eye but I expected dingy and old. The room I had booked was unrenovated. I asked if the was another available and with a smile I got one for a small fee.
The staff were all so friendly and helpful. Not one unfriendly person.
I will be back and as a result I will look for this group in all my travels.
You made my trip fabulous.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol W
Dear Carol W,
Thank you for your lovely review!
It’s so great to read that we were a new discovery for you, it certainly can be exciting to try new places and we are delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay with us. Thank you also for your kind words in relation to the team, we certainly do enjoy all our daily interactions with our guests and indeed it is one of the favourite parts of our jobs.
Should you ever wish to stay with us again and perhaps try one of our newly refurbished room types, please feel free to contact our reservations team who will certainly take the time to ensure you next stay will be just as pleasant as the first.
We love familiar faces!
Melbourne AUS
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night with my husband as we had a dinner to attend at Crown Casino and didnt want to catch a taxi back home afterwards- this place was just perfect for our needs- we stayed in the petite double room - after reading some other customers concerns about how small the room was - I admit we were worried but we were pleasantly surprised with the room - it had a flat screen tv, shower, toilet and basin, mini fridge and cupboard with small desk and 2 windows that are able to be opened, it was very acceptable and very clean. The size was perfect for our needs - we were heading out for the night anyway so we dont need the kitchen sink so to speak - The bed was absolutely a dream to sleep in - must be the microcloud bedding & mattress topper - it was so good that 2 days later - we looked up the details of the bedding and purchased our own mattress topper !! Boutique little place in a renovated 'old Melbourne' building that had lovely historical photos of Olde Melbourne throughout the place.Staff were lovely and very accomodating - the price is fantastic - location as well - we will definately stay here again when we need to stay in the city of Melb ( we live 60kms out of Melb)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank astramish
Dear astramish,
Thank you for your review on your recent stay.
We are thrilled to read that you had such a lovely stay with us and that the Pensione was perfect for your needs.
It’s fantastic that you enjoyed the bed toppers – all the team here have purchased them as well, they certainly are comfortable!
Should you ever wish to stay with us or indeed any of our 8Hotels properties within Australia or abroad, please feel free to give our friendly reservations team a call and they will certainly ensure you are well looked after.
We hope to welcome you back soon!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

No direct sunlight or natural light, window opens up into an internal atrium, room was very dark, i mean very dark, no activity ie reading or walking possible without a light on... the lamps of which were a mix of bright white (horrible) and warm yellow which made the room quite uncomfortable. Bathroom is SMALL, like tiny, to get into the show through the 40-50cm door i had to enter sideways and barely scraped in, felt like a coffin when i was having a shower. Door to bathroom is opaque glass which shows pretty much everything when the light is on so if you are sharing with friends you will become very close very quickly as everything is on show. Beds were quite worn and in desperate need of replacement. TV channels were just ridiculous, most cable channels didn't work and those that did had the wrong aspect so half the screen was cut off making watching tv very difficult. Overall this is a very poor excuse for a hotel and well over priced, I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Chose any hotel in Melbourne other than this hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank wilrc1
Dear wilrc1,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.
Firstly please allow us to apologise that you had found your stay with us to be less than satisfactory. The Pensione Hotel aims to provide clean and comfortable accommodation for guests from all walks of life and it is disappointing to read that you did not find it so.
As such the hotel has many different room types available in varying areas of the hotel. I am confident that had the friendly reception team been altered to your distress they would have certainly taken the time to show you some other options in an effort to ensure that you are as comfortable as possible.
In regards to the bathrooms we can certainly appreciate that they are quite compact, however the team and I are constantly looking for new ways to improve our facilities. Please feel free to contact me in regards to any ideas you may have as I would love to have the opportunity to discuss this further with you.
My sincerest apologies for the difficulties you faced with the television channels. We are currently in the process of installing digital signal as well as our cable channels and have experienced some unexpected complications. I can certainly appreciate that this was not ideal and it has since been rectified.
Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would love the opportunity to offer you one of our larger, front facing room styles and ensure you’re stay is comfortable and enjoyable.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We got this hotel for 4 nights for a great price, considering it was over New Year. It is a nice modern place with helpful staff. Location is excellent on Spencer Street as it's walking distance to Southern Cross Station, Crown Complex, a lot of main city streets and we even walked to Federation Square etc many times from the hotel. We got a 'petite' room as it was the cheapest and our main concern was to save money. I have to say, be warned - it is really small, hence why it's a 'petite'! But we didn't have a problem with the room size although the bathroom was genuinely tiny - weren't expecting it to be quite so small. If we were staying for a bit longer we might've opted for a larger room, but we were out sightseeing most of the time so no dramas. Would recommend!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KelsterSA
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear KelsterSA,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
It’s great to hear how much you enjoyed our location within the city and thank you for choosing to spend new year’s we us – we hope you had a great time! In regards to our room sizes the Petite rooms are some of our more compact styles of room however we do have many different room types available in varying sizes. Perhaps for your next stay we could recommend you one of our larger Superior Double rooms with a large kind bed and that extra bit of leg room!
Please let us know if you are ever travelling to Melbourne again and we will certainly do our best to ensure you have a pleasant and comfortable stay.
We hope to welcome you again soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The positives are the bed, which is really comfy. The location is also good, block from southern cross station for easy airport access and right across the river from crown. You can find some really good deals here, I've stayed here multiple times. Wifi works well, food is alright, service solid.

Stayed for 6 nights the first two was in a dark small room as I checked in at 4am from a late flight. That room didnt get high marks but I moved to a renovated room which is how I remember the place. The rooms are small and cozy. The carpets are a bit worn and the walls dinged and what not, it's not first class luxury. But it's clean and pretty solid if you can get a deal here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Cursive9
Dear Cursive9,
Thank you for your review!
We are thrilled to read how much you enjoyed our location and thank you for choosing to stay with us again – we love our return guests! I am surprised to hear however about the state of your room and would like to apologise for any discomfort you may have experienced. I have asked our housekeeping teams to ensure they are checking rooms more diligently in the future in the hopes of avoiding any simular circumstances.
Please let us know when you wish to return to Melbourne as we’d love to have the opportunity to look after you again in the future.
We hope to see you soon!