“"Not as advertised - room is small, dirty and no windows"”

Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels
Ranked #41 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located from Southern Cross Train Station. We booked at this hotel believing that the advertised photos were accurate, unfortunately we were wrong. The bathroom: not only old but small, dirty and smelly; the mini-bar fridge in the room doesn't close properly and was not even clean; double room is very small, bed uncomfortable and the heater on the wall doesn't work properly. Internet will cost you $12 a day however if you're staying in the ground floor on the opposite side of the building, there is not a good signal. The room is dated, carpet is very old and dirty. For the price we paid, we won't be coming back again.

On the positive note, there is no charge if you leave your luggage overnight.

Room Tip: I would not recommend booking on this hotel at all...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank newyorker91
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear newyorker91,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay!
It is sincerely disappointing to hear that you found your stay with us to be less than satisfactory and I would like to apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced as a result. The team and I take all feedback very seriously and are constantly developing new strategies to improve our facilities. Since reading your feedback I have organized our housekeeping and maintenance teams to check the spaces between the fridges and cupboards to ensure that the doors operate as they should. I have also increased the frequency in which we get our carpets steam cleaned to ensure that everything is kept as fresh as possible.
Whilst the original rooms on the ground floor as sold as a clean, simple, basic type of accommodation the Pensione has many different room types to suits everyone’s individual needs. Should you ever wish to stay with us again we would be delighted to show you a few of our other options to ensure that you are well looked after.
We hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you again.
Calisha and The Pensione Team

Reviewed May 25, 2013

the hotel is located very conveniently for the city center. and 'near the train station and bus stops to the city center and the airport.
The hotel is also nice and the room is nice and clean although small. All components are reduced. The bed is rather short, the bathroom is tiny, the sink is 30 x 20 cm (it is impossible to use it without wetting the ground). Included is the ironing board which is only 70 cm long (the smallest I've ever seen). Wifi and breakfast are paid

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank frv_9
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear frv_9,

Thank you for your review!

We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our location and our facilities! We are so lucky to be right in the center of the CBD and so near some of Melbourne’s most famous locations and ease of transport.
Our apologies for any discomfort in regards to our bathrooms sinks, we are currently performing light renovations in order to maximize this space therefore ensuring your comfort and satisfaction. We also have a couple of rooms with much larger bathrooms, so please feel free to give us a call on your next visit as we’d love to introduce these options to you.
We hope that we may once again welcome you back to our wonderful city.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed May 24, 2013

If you are looking for an ugly, dirty hotel you found the right place: airs everywhere on the carpet, bed linen not fresh and last time they cleaned the windows was during the Olympics Games in Sydney. The bathrooms are the smallest in town and the sink measure 30 x 20 cm: even when you wash your teeth you have a lake on the floor. The shower was broken and the water gush outside (no curtain in the shower). However few positive points: the hotel is not expensive and the staff is kind and smiling.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Van_Den_Budenmayer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay.

Firstly please allow us to express how sincerely disappointed we are to hear that you found your stay with us to be less than satisfactory. The Pensione Hotel prides itself on providing clean and comfortable accommodation for all our guests and I am shocked to hear of your findings. We do indeed work very closely with our housekeeping teams and I will certainly be following up with the way in which rooms are checked to ensure that this does not happen again.
In regards to our showers you may be pleased to know that we are currently having shower screens installed in all our rooms. We hope that this will assist with any access water flow and with several rooms already outfitted we hope to see this finished in the near future.

I am delighted however to hear that the team made such a lovely impression on you! We delight in taking the time to talk to and assist all of our guests to the highest standard as it is the most rewarding part of our job!
Should you ever wish to stay with us again please feel free to contact us directly so we may not only place you in one of our newly renovated bathrooms but also ensure that you are well looked after for your next stay.
We hope we may welcome you back soon!
Warm Regards,

Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Pensione in Melbourne is the perfect space for when you just really need a bed and a bathroom somewhere in the city. The service staff were very welcoming and made sure that all my needs were taken care of.

Rooms were reasonably well appointed although the size of the bathrooms left a lot to be desired. Also, there was inadequate ventilation requiring the use of the air conditioner almost constantly when occupying the room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 1992CBR
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Bryce R
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay!
We are delighted to hear that we were able to accommodate you so perfectly in the city and are thrilled to hear you were well taken care of! The Pensione team and I thoroughly enjoy every interaction with our guests in an effort to provide the best experience possible!
Should you ever require accommodation in Melbourne again please feel free to contact our friendly team who would be delighted to look after you for your next stay.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in May 13. Valued for money, charming modern hotel housed in an old building. Very courteous and helpful staff. We were upgraded to a 'bigger room' facing Spencer Street on the highest level, i.e. 4th level. The room itself looks new, clean and comfortable. However, the toilet and bathroom is extremely small. Wi-fi is NOT FREE, chargeable at A$10 per day. Excellent location, just a couple of steps away from the tram stop at Flinders & Spencer Street intersection. Despite the mentioned shortcomings, will not hesitate to stay here again given the opportunity.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a bigger room. We stayed at room 314
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madbirdy

Dear madbirdy,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay!
We are delighted to hear that you had such a lovely stay with us and enjoyed your upgrade to one of our front facing rooms! Thank you also for the lovely feedback in regards to our team, we do delight in the care and attention of our guests and everyone at the Pensione was thrilled to hear they had made such a great impression.
Should you ever wish to stay with us again please feel free to contact our friendly reception team who can even tailor an accommodation package for you which will not only include your wireless internet use but once again a stay in one of our larger room types.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I needed to find a cheap city-based hotel to stay just for one night and selected this hotel based on its location and some of the reviews I read. I wasn't expecting much because of the price but even then, the Pensione was a bit of a disappointment.

I was given a tiny room on the first floor which had stains on the carpet and an old musty smell. The bathroom was absolutely tiny, with just enough space for a toilet and shower. The basin is way too small to even wash your hands properly and the shower head was a cheap unit that sprays low pressure water in all directions.

The window in my room faced another room of the hotel so I had to keep the curtain closed at all times which made the room dark and lifeless.

I felt it was a bit tight for them to charge an additional $10 per hour for late checkout. They also add a surcharge for any credit card transactions which I found odd for a hotel.

Based on this experience, I wouldn't stay here again. I'd rather pay a little bit more for a relatively better room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank eli7e
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear eli7e,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

I was extremely disappointed to read that you found your stay less than satisfactory. I would firstly like to sincerely apologise that you found your room to be musty. We are actually in the process of replacing all carpets in our rooms however the carpets are also regularly steam cleaned. Since reading your review we have checked through all of our Petite Double Rooms on the first floor and have scheduled some additional works.

I am so sorry that you found our compact bathrooms impractical. I can certainly appreciate that they are cosy and we are currently gradually installing shower screens and new sinks in all of our rooms to make them more practical for our guests!

I can understand that having a room facing into in internal light-well may be uncomfortable for some of our guests and I will investigate what sheer curtain options there are to eradicate this issue!

Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, I would love to offer you a one of our Double Rooms or even our Apartment! These are much more spacious and I am confident that these room styles would be more suited to you. It would be a pleasure to personally ensure you receive the great service and facilities our regular Pensione guests have grown accustomed to.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I had a really lovely stay here in a double room for the weekend. I was travelling alone but there was heaps of space to make this a wonderful room for a couple. The king bed was deliciously comfortable. The decor was really nice and and the room was super clean. Everything was in perfect working order. I was struck by how quiet the hotel was - I slept so well! I thought the compact bathroom was so cute and it was completely functional for me! I'd certainly prefer a hotel to save on bathroom space in order to have more space in the room itself!

The location is super convenient (I was lucky enough to have a tram stop right at the door to take me right to the door of my sister's apartment in Hawthorn - bonus!).

I had breakfast at the cafe on my last morning and it was divine. Honestly, I was only disappointed that I didn't eat there every day. And I am a serious breakfast person - I wouldn't even bother mentioning the cafe if I didn't mean what I say. When you stay, you must dine there.

And the team - well, I just love them. I work in the hospitality world and service is pretty much everything to me, and the Pensione team will look after you. At checkout I was saying how much I loved my stay and a guest checking out next to me piped up saying it is the ONLY place she stays in Melbourne, she is a long time regular and loves the hotel and team more every visit.

What more can I say except - stay here (and eat here!). You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank WAgirlforever
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear WAgirlforever,

Thank you so much for your lovely review on your recent stay at Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

I am so thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us and especially enjoyed your brekky in Pensione Cafe! I too am a breakfast person and I have to say, the bacon benny is my fave! The chefs work super hard to ensure we offer a high quality product and when I passed on your feedback, they were so pleased!

Thank you also for your kind words in relation to our team. We all love to get to know our guests and build relationships with our regulars. Its the best part of our roles!

Should you be travelling back to Melbourne in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.
I would love personally ensure your next visit is just as enjoyable.

Warmest Regards,