“Return to the Pensione hotel Melbourne”

Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels
Ranked #41 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Burleigh Heads, Australia
“Return to the Pensione hotel Melbourne”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

2 years ago I stayed at the Pensione and this time I also checked out different hotels to stay at but in the end I decided that where the Pensione is situated was very convenient for me. After landing at the Melbourne airport, I then hopped on the Skybus and hopped off at the Southern Cross Hotel and walked down to the Hotel. No need for a Mini bus to get to your hotel if your able to walk. The hotel room was so quiet and away from the city noise. The room was a double and is small but being a solo traveller it suited me fine. I am glad my husband wasn't travelling with me as he would not have liked the bathroom. It is small but the bathroom sink is ridiculously small and also the shower had no curtain so a bit of a splash of water outside the shower. Apart from that which I could laugh at I had a great location to the train station, City circle free Tram or walked a few blocks to the Bourke Street Mall. The Casino and the river walk is 1.5 blocks away so I was very happy with the location and the room was comfortable & clean which is all I needed.
Yes, I would not hesitate to stay there again and that is quite possible in the next 12 months. The staff were polite and friendly at the desk.

Room Tip: my room was 203 and was quiet as could be. I am not sure if other rooms are noisier but the Trams d...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Dove57,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay!

We are delighted to hear that you had such a great time in Melbourne and chose to stay with us yet again! We pride ourselves on our clean and comfortable accommodation and I am so pleased that you found our team friendly and polite!

My apologies for the difficulties you experienced with the in room bathroom. We are currently in the process of installation shower screens to assist with the water overflow and looking at new basins.

We would be thrilled to have the opportunity to look after you again and allocate you one of our rooms with improved bathroom facilities. Please feel free to contact us at any time. We love to look after regular guests!

Calisha and the Pensione Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Oxford
Reviewed February 19, 2013

A really nice renovation in the centre of Melbourne that's very reasonably priced. Our room was small but clean and the bathroom tiny but also clean. It also looked straight over a lightwell and in to another room that was the mirror image of ours, so may be best to avoid the inward-looking rooms.
Very friendly reception staff and extremely helpful with advice/maps/directions etc

Room Tip: Avoid inward looking rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear ozboyOxford,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay!

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our rooms and location and found it well priced too! We pride ourselves on providing comfortable and affordable accommodation in the heart of the city and it certainly sounds as if you found it so.

Thank you also for the lovely feedback in regards to our team, I have passed on your feedback onto them and they were so pleased!

My apologies for any discomfort you may have experienced with regards to the internal light well and the window facing other rooms. Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel direct. Our team would be sure to allocate you one of our Superior rooms styles that face out onto Spencer Street.

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Calisha and the Pensione Hotel Team
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I like the 24hrs reception and the facilities in the room. Everything is well-equipped and in good condition. However, the bathroom is unacceptably small, water is everywhere when you are taking a shower........ but for its price & location I would 100% stay here again!

Dear Peter J,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay at Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and found the hotel to be in good condition. My apologies for any difficulties you faced with regards to our private ensuites. We can certainly appreciate that some of our bathrooms are cosy and we are currently performing works on these rooms to make them more practical for use. Some of these works include removing shelving and installing shower screens.

We are thrilled that you found Pensione good value for money and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Warm Regards,

Calisha and the Pensione team.
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I'd read the reviews others had left before I came to The Pensionne, all I can say is that some people are so hard to please!
Where do I start? The hotel - GREAT staff. Very helpful, nothing was too much trouble.
The location - walk 100 metres down the road and you can catch a free tram to explore this great city. The room - well presented, clean, QUIET. I've stayed at other hotels on Spencer St before and in this hotel you don't hear the traffic or sirens that are a part of Melbourne at night. Comfy bed and lovely shower. Nice roof area too!
The food served in their cafe is great! Loved the eggs benedict and the coffee!
Yes Pensionne, I will be back. My first choice for a hotel in Melbourne!

Room Tip: Book through hotel not a booking site, have done both and hotel offers better choice of room. Havin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank cathy g
Hi cathy g,

WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

We are so pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time in Melbourne and that our friendly reception team left such a positive impression on you! We aim to provide clean and comfortable accommodation with fantastic customer service to boot and it’s great to hear that this is how you found it so.

Thank you also for your kind feedback in regards to the café,the eggs ben is my personal favourite and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the chefs – they will love it!

Should you wish to book a cooked breakfast inclusion for your next stay please feel free to contact us directly and we can certainly assist you with this. We love to look after our return guests!

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again real soon!

Warm Regards

Calisha and the Pensione Team
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

I love a room in the hotel. 5 days there and it was clean all the time. The hotel is next to the main street in Mel. My room doesn't has a window veiwing out, it may be due to my paying. I just have to pay 100$ for double room.

But the only concern is receptionist. We have to wait for longer time compared to other customers coming from Western countries. They came to check out later than us but all quicker. Two Asian couples had to wait until other western couples already checking out, even we were 1st people queuing. I don't understand why is that?

• Stayed February 2013
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Mickey20x

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

I was please to read that you enjoyed the room, our central location and found our housekeeping services of a high standard. This is something we all take extremely seriously and pride ourselves on. All of our hotel rooms do have windows, though unfortunately not all of our rooms face out onto Spencer Street. Our Superior Double and Twin rooms have views of the city and it would be great to accommodate you in one of these in the future!

I must stress that all of us here at the Pensione Hotel Melbourne come from different ethnicities and backgrounds and certainly do not prioritise any guests based on these things. I am terribly sorry that you experienced a wait on check out and my only guess is that there may have been some misunderstanding with regards to who was next in line. As for the other couple waiting to be served, many guests choose to provide cash bonds on arrival whereby on departure the room is checked before they receive this bond back. It sounds as if guests may have been waiting for this.

Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would love to personally ensure your second stay is comfortable and enjoyable and the standard of service you receive meets the high standards our regular guests are accustomed to.

Calisha Allsworth
Melbourne
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Don't get me wrong - this is a great hotel. Terrific service, nice breakfast, clean, comfy beds. And a good price. It's just that the room we had was tiny and the bathroom smaller. Interestingly I think the bed seemed almost king in width but short! But great location, friendly and helpful service, nice decor, new sheets etc. Just don't stay there if you want to swing a cat.

Dear Alexofmelbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay!

It is fantastic to hear that you had such a great stay with us and that you enjoyed your breakfast!

In regards to our bathrooms, my apologies for any discomfort you experienced. We certainly understand that some of our guest bathrooms are cosy and are gradually making changes to these bathrooms to assist in their practicality.

We would love to have the opportunity to accommodate you again, please feel to contact the hotel direct should you be seeking accommodation in Melbourne. We would most definitely reserve one of our larger rooms!

Warm Regards,

Calisha and the Pensione Team!
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Pensione Hotel in Melbourne has everything you need for a fabulous stay in Melbourne.

The rooms themselves are on the small side but they are recently refurbished and tastefully decorated. Each room has everything you could need (and if it didn't the staff would go out of their way to source what you needed.)
Whilst the Pensione Melbourne has some of the best rates you will find in Melbourne, you will not find a more tastefully decorated hotel/ room for the price!
The location is walking distance to the station, DFO, CBD shopping, Casino and beautiful restaurants and bars overlooking the river.
Whilst the above speaks volume what really sets Penisone Melbourne above any other place is the staff.
You will be greeted as a guest not a customer, you will always be welcomed back after sightseeing with a smiling face behind the counter, and no request ever seems to be too much, the staff genuinely seem to want to go the extra mile, it is customer service the way it should be! The staff are also extremely knowledgeable about Melbourne and it's surrounding areas.
Very happy with my stay, will not look to stay anywhere other than Penisone whenever I go back to Melbourne.

Room Tip: There isn't a swimming pool- accidentally clicked it and can't remove the rating! Lots of s...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Tania C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay!

We are thrilled to hear that Pensione Hotel Melbourne has left such a positive impression from your time in Melbourne and thank you for the kind words in regards to our team. We really aim to set ourselves apart by offering clean and comfortable accommodation in the heart of the CBD and indeed every team member at the Pensione prides themselves on their service and attention to detail - all to ensure that you have a most comfortable stay with us.

We would love to have the opportunity to look after you again so should you ever wish to stay with us or indeed any of our 8 Hotels properties within Australia or abroad, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. We will certainly do our best to look after you.

We hope to welcome you again real soon!

Warm Regards,

Calisha and the Pensione Team.