“Compact but very clean and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels

Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels
Ranked #42 of 156 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Compact but very clean and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

A lovely boutique hotel in a great central location. In the heart of the CBD but so quiet we never heard a sound! Very helpful and firendly staff. Couldn't ask for more, we reccommend and will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ivan_Zulficar_GM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear Hana H
Thank you for your lovely feedback!
We are delighted to hear how much your enjoyed your stay with us and how friendly you found our team to be! We look forward to welcoming you back real soon!
Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

A stay at Pensione represents excellent value for money.

Located just a short walk from Southern Cross station (where the buses arrive from the airport or trains arrive from interstate).

I stayed in one of their newer rooms ('Original' rooms are indicated clearly on their website) and found it to be compact, but clean and comfortable. Free wireless in the room rate I took was a bonus and breakfast downstairs is agreeable.

Given the location and price it is definitely my best pick of accommodation in Melbourne if you're not fussed about having a big room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear aimoverseas
Thank you for your kind feedback!
We are delighted to hear that you had found us to be you ideal choice for a stay in Melbourne and look forward to having the opportunity to look after you again in the future!
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

The room was very very small and when I asked if an upgrade to a larger room was available I was informed that they were fully booked.
The bathroom was also very small, a bit of a joke really.

The room also did not have a window at all !!!! just a small skylight and when it rained (as it does a lot in Melbourne) the sound of the rain hitting the Perspex skylight was unbearabley loud.
Stayed here for 3 nights and if the room hadn't been prepaid I would have checked out immediately.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank kazda
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I chose to stay at the Pensione for its central location and excellent rates. I found the room to be clean and functional. True the bathroom is tiny, but cleanliness and functionality is all I required. If you choose to stay in the CBD of a major city it is unlikely you will be spending much time in your room. The complimentary breakfast was excellent, the staff in the Cafe were very friendly and the food basic but sufficient. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Ivan_Zulficar_GM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Dear mozzoz60,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pensione Hotel Melbourne!
We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and how central and friendly you found our team to be!
We wish you all the best and look forward to welcoming you back real soon.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

my friend and i stayed here for 5 days we had a twin room that was at the back of the hotel on level 3 the room was really small but i loved it. it was quite and comfortable and had everything you need. the staff where friendly and very helpful.the restaurant was also very good great food good price. also loved the amazing roof top sun deck it has awesome veiws i spent hours out there. i coudlnt really complain about anything with this hotel but there is two things the house keepers were very nosiey they woke me up at 7.30am banging stuff around outside the door and we had to go down to reception to ask the house keepers to clean our room we only had the do not disturb sign on once and i guess they just went by everyday thinking we didnt need cleaning. also the bathroom it was small but that didnt bother me i love a good shower and this one let me down i hated it it was a tiny shower head like really tiny with no pressure it was a water saver thing. so apart from that i recommend it to anyone looking for a great location good access to trams and public transport friendly and helpful staff and nice rooms and a nice restaurant and bar.
i do have alot of photos but this website wouldnt upload them. :(

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ivan_Zulficar_GM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear megan g
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback!
We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and how helpful you found our team to be. We at the Pensione Melbourne aim to provide all our guests with high service standards and affordable accommodation in the heart of the CBD and its great to hear you found it so.
Thank you for also letting us know about the problem with your shower, we have now taken this to our maintenance team and expect to have it remedied as soon as possible.
We look forward to welcoming you back real soon!
Warm Regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I've stayed in Pensione Melbourne 4 times in the last 2 years. One of the thing that made me choose Pensione in the first place is it always met my budget. However, after staying there a couple of times, no matter how I tried to search for another budget I hotel, I always end up choosing Pensione. Pensione is a budget hotel, so you should not expect large rooms with bath tubs and in-hotel facilities such as swimming pool and gym. However, it is a pretty straight-forward hotel with all the right stuff. Room is decent size (believe me, I have ever stayed in even smaller budget hotel room), bed is comfortable, staff are nice and helpful without being over-friendly, bathroom is a bit small but it has what you need: working shower, toilet and sink. I have read people complaining about the sink being too small that water splashed everywhere, honestly I haven't had a problem with the sink, and hey, nobody ask you to clean up anyway. TV is big and they have basic cable channels. You have to pay for Wifi but i think the price is reasonable. What I personally love the most is the interior is modern, simple but nice, it looks like one of those rooms created using CAD. I've never stayed in their "original room", which is even cheaper so I can't really say anything about that. But i've stayed in double, petit double and single and they are all great. Oh, and not to mention location. You are walking distance to Spencer street station, Crown hotel/casino, and just a tram ride away (you can take the free city circle tram) to the main city areas like Swanston/ Elizabeth st. Or if you love walking like me, the city is just a few blocks away.
I saw an ad in the room that you can use Fitness First for free of you show them your Pensione room key. I think that is awesome. I've never really use the facility since I'm an FF member.
So, all in all, I would call Pensione Melbourne "the Perfect Budget hotel", just cause it has everything we need in a good condition, and worth the money I paid. I definitely will stay in Pensione every time I visit Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ivan_Zulficar_GM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear Wita86
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again!
We would just like to thank you for all your lovely feedback and that the Pensione Hotel Melbourne is your perfect budget hotel! As we appreciate all of our return guests please feel free to contact us directly when choosing to stay with us again so we may have the opportunity to continue to be your number one destination when returning to Melbourne.
Best Wishes.
Masterton, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stayed for 7 nights, unfortunately. The room was tiny, and the bathroom, my, where do you start. If you don't mind sharing, everything, then fine. The doors do not shut, the shower is tiny, the toilet cramped, and the sink, well, lets say the design is terrible. We complained, and got moved to a slightly larger room, same bathroom. The house keeping was not up scratch. When we returned to NZ we wrote a lengthy letter of complaint and informed the travel agent. We did get a response, which was stay again we have improved? The only good thing about this hotel, aside from leaving, was it was close to everything we needed.

Room Tip: Complain. This is the only way you may get a half decent room, bathroom still the same but atleast y...