“Needs an update”
Review of Bayview Eden

Bayview Eden
Ranked #116 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Not the worst hotel I've stayed in, but certainly was a disappointment compared to what the website and pictures made me expect. My boyfriend and I stayed in a queen room. No. 732. I'll start with the good and finish with the bad.

Pros

-Keycard entry
-Main lobby is nice and looks impressive
- Good size rooms
-The bed and pillows were very comfortable
-Nice large vanity area and mirror.
-Super awesome vanity mirror attached to the wall, would be great if you needed to apply make-up for a night out.
-Rooms seem to be quite well sound proofed as I had barely any interruption from the outside world save when people would pass the room in the hallway and even then that wasn't loud.
-Very nice and helpful staff upon check-in.
- Pool is just as pictured. Temperature is very nice. Gym was out of order, but I wouldn't have used it during my stay anyway, so it didn't matter to me. Spa looks awesome and there's a few pieces of exercise equipment up there that you could use.
- Pool is open from 5.30am - 11pm, which is awesome!
-Cleanliness was to a good standard, although there was still room for improvement.

Cons

-Most of the decor is old. The only modern parts of the room were the two couch chairs and the bed linen.
-Lighting was terrible, no main light, just a heap of lamps that all use differently located switches, which was confusing at first.
-The TV is located in a massive TV cupboard in the corner. Since nothing much else is stored in there they should really get rid of the outdated monster of a cupboard and replace it with a simple modern tv stand. Seriously people you can pick up some great bargains from IKEA and the like to really update your rooms and have a much better review overall from your guests. I understand that even buying cheap furniture it would take quite a bit of money to update their entire hotel, but with the amount of bad reviews I've read now it'd be worth it to keep their reputation up to standards.
-No DVD player in the room, so no watching any movies you've brought from home. TV is quite outdated, no HDMI port.
-Everything is hidden away in old cupboards and when you open them you find highly outdated appliances.
-Huge bedside tables that were probably made 15-20 years ago with non-operable radio, light and television switches.
-Power point behind left hand bedside table is hanging off the wall, which can't be good!
-Hard to find a free power point to charge your phone/laptop etc.
-Bath non-slip sticker mat was in need of a good clean or replacement as it was dirt stained.
-Shower would cause the bathroom to flood if on a decent pressure level as it sprayed out of the bath tub that was under it. So either you stood there under a drizzle, or you had to mop up the water once you were out.
-Parking lot is super tight and confusing to navigate. Some parks marked out that don't even make sense to park in as you could get completely blocked in. Lots of parks are reserved and it takes a while to find a free one. Only really the space for one car to drive up/down the ramps at a time, so hopefully no one meets another car coming from the other direction on one of the ramps, because it's gonna be a difficult one to figure out!
-Pool and spa are far apart. Pool is on level 1, spa is on level 8, which you have to get to by taking the lift to level 7 and then walking up the stairs to level 8.
-Hallways have water stained carpet
-Building has a slightly musty smell to it.

Location isn't in the city, but I knew it wouldn't be when coming here, so that wasn't a surprise. There's a tram stop just around the corner and St Kilda road has some conveniences, so it's not completely out of touch with everything.

Overall the rooms let the rest of the hotel down. Give the rooms an update and with that awesome pool and spa this would be a great place to stay in. For now though it's more for someone who just needs a bed and doesn't want to spend time in the room. It's definitely not a 4-star hotel, I would say it's a 2 or 3-star at the moment.

3  Thank Samantha E
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

I would like to thank you for the detail feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Bayview Eden Melbourne.

I have forwarded your review onto the relevant Managers and further discussions.

We hoe you choose to stay at the Bayview Eden Melbourne on your next visit to Melbourne.

There are newer reviews for Bayview Eden

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We booked tthis hotel on a Groupon voucher and could not complain about our room or service.Breakfast was top notch and the only slight obstacle was that the underground car park was tight sqeeze getting in and out.Our daughter and son-in-law also stayed thd enjoyed the experience. We found it was an ideal starting poit for St;Kilda.Prahran and the city.

Room Tip: ASK FOR room upgrade if available
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for your recent feedback.

I am glad you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us.

I have forwarded your review onto the Food & Beverage Department for their congratulations.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next visit to Australia.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Although I was in Melbourne attending an event and was also visiting relatives I was on my own. Room services I found was prompt and the free use of the computer with free internet access in their Business Center comes in very handy which has to be a big plus. This hotel is worth recommending to anyone although it isn't cheap but there again I was there during the time of the Grand Prix. With trams running very near by on St Kilda Road and Melbourne town center a few stops away made it a very worth while trip. The staff at the hotel was very polite and attentive, always smile.

Room Tip: The rooms nearer the top are quieter and not too near the lifts. During March keep away from the ro...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for the kind review.

I am pleased to see that you had enjoyed your recent stay at the Bayview Eden Melbourne.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I fail to see how this place can receive the wonderful comments it has because our experience was anything but.

I am not sure if this is because we had purchased 2 Groupon vouchers to stay here? Perhaps because of this, we were seen as cheap skates and less deserving of the levels of service they would afford other guests?

From check in, we were treated as though we couldn't speak English (we were not spoken to at all really). There were no welcomes. Nothing. They just took our credit card security and gave us 2 room keys. Very odd behaviour for a person a hotel front desk.

We stayed in room 427. It was "noice". Lots of pink. I think other people must have been put in nicer rooms because ours wouldn't even be considered 2.5 stars let alone higher.

I have left comments on the "feedback" cards to this effect - that no matter how your guests arrive at your hotel, they should all be afforded the same level of respect. Don't put offers on sites such as Groupon if you're in the hospitality industry and not prepared to treat everyone the same. We felt very isolated, excluded and ignored the whole time we were there. Would not return - EVER.

Glad we got this hotel at Groupon price. It was a test for us to see if it was any good and if so, we planned to return (paying normal rate) as we travel to Melbourne frequently. They failed our test and did not meet our expectations at all and consequently, we won't return. I have never left a really negative review of a hotel before but our stay at the Bayview Eden in Melbourne warrants such feedback.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is "good" because there seems to be some differences with what custome...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vmatsen

The Bayview Eden values all feedback to ensure we continue to offer a high level of service is maintained for all guests.

I have forwarded your review onto the relevant Department Managers for further follow up and to ensure the appropriate action is taken with regards to the points you have raised.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had a fantastic weekend from the moment we walked through the front doors. Staff could not do enough for us. On the 7th floor, our room was above expectations.
we had a beautiful view of the Albert Park Lake. Our beautiful breakfast was first class. No complaints about our weekend whatsoever. We will return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have forward your comments onto the relevant staff for the congratulations.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

A hugely disappointing stay last week on WEDNESDAY 20 MARCH.
My girlfriend travelled from Tatura, over 2 hours away. I arrived at 9.15 pm from Balwyn. The picture below was of the $32 MEAL DEAL steak my girlfriend ordered - MEDIUM. She waited 30 minutes, rang down to room service after noting how overcooked it was. Was told they would cook another, but that meant another 30 minute wait - an hour in total !! My friend said not to worry, ate 3 mouthfuls and left the remainder. When we went to check out the following morning, we were told a refund couldn't be issued without a letter/email to management.
A 2* chef cooking in an apparent 4 * Hotel and doesn't know the difference between medium and over well done??
Secondly, when I arrived at 9.15pm I asked if a cab could be booked for 7.30 the following morning as we had to be somewhere by 8 am SHARP. At 7.40 am, after checking with Concierge it was discovered no cab had ever been booked the previous night.
And to cap it off, we were charged for breakfast that was quoted upon booking (done over the phone) as being included in the $179 room rate.
When I realised their error the following day and rang about calling in for a refund, I was told it couldn't happen until Monday because the GM and Financial Controller had to sign the form. I was also told by the Duty Manager "people make mistakes you know". Yes they do. 3 however is unacceptable in a 4* Hotel. And service recovery is paramount. At Bayview Eden it was appalling.
After a terse exchange with the Duty Manager he gave me his own money. I am still waiting though for the meal refund.
I trust no one has a refund issue this Thursday night because you are likely to be waiting until next Tuesday for a refund!!
The GM did attempt redemption with a phone call however it should NEVER have gotten to that stage and I will never return there.

Room Tip: Most helpful tip I could give is ..... Book the next Hotel down the road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank WendyMuffin
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Bayview Eden Melbourne values all feedback as we like to ensure a high level of service is maintained.

I have investigated your comments and would like to advise you that all Hotel procedures had been followed and some had been bent to accommodate your needs.

Bayview Eden Melbourne was under the impression that all your comments had been rectified, however, if this is not the case please contacts us directly.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 25, 2013

very good motel to stay at apart from check out time was 12 noon and cleaning staff started to bang on our door at 9.30 am and ask us when we were leaving. breakfast was ok apart from bacon was dry and eggs were over cooked

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

Your feedback has been forwarded on to the relevant Managers for further discussions and to take the appropriate action.

I hope your choose to stay at the Bayview Eden on your next visit to Melbourne.

Front Office Manager.