“Oh dear the bed ....”

Ranked #109 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide
“Oh dear the bed ....”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

A diary of my brief visit... Checkin, simple and efficient with a smile, upstairs and into a dated but clean corridor, key worked first time, room is large enough and all the furniture matches ... so far so good. Room service menu adequate and food delivered in 20 minutes , pleasantly surprised by the quantity of fruit on the platter and equally disappointed by the size of the Eden Burger, but it was delicious and that is the main thing. Then on to the bed, and what a disappointment. As a veteran traveller of over 1000 nights in hotels I am always keen on having a good quality bed / mattress combination to deliver me a nights sleep. Sadly the mattress had seen better days and to be honest Tony Abbott would give Julia Gillard more support at the upcoming election than this horrible thing afforded me... Buy a new mattress for room 414 and I will gladly come back...

Room Tip: Do not pick 414 ...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Your review has been forwarded on to the relevant Department Managers and the necessary action will be taken. I can confirm that the Hotel are in the process of replacing the mattresses and will ensure room 414 is completed next.
I hope you do choose to stay at Bayview Eden Melbourne on your next visit as I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

Russell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
ouyen
Reviewed February 11, 2013

From arrival to our departure, I cannot give enough praise to the staff of the hotel.From reception to the cleaners, nothing was a problem.We had an early appointment in the city and they allowed us to check-in two hours early.The room was absolutely fantastic with views across the golf course to the lake.On sunday we had a town reunion in the Fitzroy gardens, and on checkout
I asked if we could leave the car in their carpark, it was not a problem. We would not have any hesitation staying there again. ps. Breakfast was bloody marvellous. Peter & Irene Floyd. Ouyen Vic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Bayview Eden Melbourne.

It was a pleasure to read your review, and I have forwarded it onto all of the staff here for their congratulations.

Whenever the rooms are available, we are more than happy to allow for early arrival. However, we can not guarantee this for all stays due to the late check out we offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We last stayed at the Eden Bayview, Melbourne, at the end of November 2009. Our review from that period still applies, though the room we stayed in, on this our latest visit, showed signs of regular use and had reached the stage of needing superficial maintenance and improvement.

For instance, the work table in the room had ugly holes in the veneer and a damaged, chipped edge, the sofa chairs had threads hanging from under the seat which made it look as if the stuffing were falling out, and various wall and furniture surfaces showed scuff marks and scratches. We had a cleaner replace a coffee mug, as it had a crack inside which did not allow thorough washing.

In wanting to retain its claim as an upper-grade hotel, the owners-managers might want to execute a programme of room renovation to eliminate the used, worn appearance and feel of rooms. Also, the corridors could stand redecoration to make them more inviting and less institutional.

Note that free newspapers and magazines are available in the lobby only and no longer on the console table in front of the lift-elevator of the floor.

Room Tip: Upper floor; away from the lifts-elevators; facing the park, lake and sea in the distance. Avoid ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay at the Bayview Eden Melbourne.

I have forwarded your review onto the appropriate Mangers to discuss and take the necessary course of action regarding the points you have raised.

I hope to have the chance to welcome you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

Sydney
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I chose the Bayview for its location - I had a sport event to take place in Alfred Park which started early morning and I need a stay from where I could run/walk/bike to the venue fast in no time. Bayview is the closest to Albert Park Aquatic centre, 5min on bike, 10-11mins run - I dont think anything can beat this.

However the hotel does need some TLC - urgently! I was first assigned a room on the 7th floor but had to ask for a change as this being the top floor is noisy. There is low frequency electrical noise due to the engine room being on the 8th floor. I got a new room in one of the lower levels and it was blissfully quiet even when it faced the road.
The rooms are old and might not be super-new everything is functional. Some TLC on fixtures would be nice (tap hard to turn in the bathroom, electrical sockets coming away at the wall, TV remote batteries need changing) but overall it is a decent hotel. Unfortunately some rooms are still configured as "family room" - when there is a door between 2 rooms - and sound proofing is not adequate - I was awake from 2am till3am because of my neighbours "settling" in after a party in town..Not good when one has to wake up at 6am for a race..

Also if you are serious about exercise - dont count on the "gym" in the hotel- It is small and is upstairs from 7th floor and out of the 2 treadmills only 1 is working and as it is right next to the "spa" (a big bathtub) it is usually wet (kids splash around). The other treadmil is broken. There is also an eclipse trainer (very rusty - again because it is in the same room as a the spa therefore humidity kills it) also a weights station and a neglected rower in the corner. All equipment needs oiling and TLC and ideally should be moved out of the room with the spa (Dear Management it is going to cost you more in maintenance..) I heard there is also an indoor swimming pool, but when you got the Aquatic centre so close by why bother?

Hotel staff might be young and fresh-faced but they are very professional, attentative, polite and lovely. Hotel is very close to CBD - there is a tramp stop about 5mins walk, and plenty of Melbourne City Bikes to hire just 2 mins away. I will definately stay here again for a sporting event in Albert Park.

Room Tip: Anything but the 7th floor should be fine.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your detailed review. Your feedback is very important for Bayview Eden Melbourne as we like to ensure a high level of service and standard is maintained for guest’s satisfaction.

I have forwarded your review onto the relevant Department Managers for further discussions and to take the necessary action required.

I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay and the close proximity to the Albert Park Lake and Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Center.

I will look forward to welcoming you back on your next sporting event.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We continue to return to this hotel when we visit Melbourne as its so convenient. It's an easy tram ride into the city but also very easy to get to by car with reasonable parking rates. The housekeeping staff have always been very helpful & accommodating of the fact we travel with our infant daughter. We will continue to return here

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Bayview Eden Melbourne.

It is always a pleasure to read about our loyal customers choosing to return and stay with us again and again.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Front Office Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family, two adults one 8 year old, stayed here on the 5th/6th Jan, 2013. We were suprised by the friendly and cozy feel of the place. We felt right at home here. Got a great deal on line and wasnt expecting much but that has changed we really liked it and would go back. We had a room on the 6th floor overlooking the park and bay great. Yes rooms a little dated but no big deal, found it spacious and the beds really comfy. Had TV, Bar fridge and a small table with chair. Had a swim in the pool, that was good also. Dinner in the resturant for us was a little disappointing, maybe what we ordered but it all tasted the same. Breaky was more than enough and of good quality. Has a small gym and suana on the 7th floor. We had late checkout the next morning and were not disturbed by any noise what so ever, very quite. Close to city for our Narnia adventure.

Room Tip: Higher the better, facing the bay.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased to see that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us and i look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Front Office Manager
Braidwood, Australia
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our one night stay at Bayview Eden on the Park was excellent. When we checked in I advised we needed a room big enough to fit our portacot (for our 9 month old baby) and so the lady gave us a corner room, which was huge!
The room and bathroom were a bit dated, but had wonderful views of Albert Park, and with the free parking that came with the room we ditched the car and walked everywhere - South Melbourne MArkets, Toorak, Chapel Street - all really close. Lots of good food options within a 5 - 10 minute walk of the hotel too, especially Cafe Vue - excellent breakfast. Would definitely stay here again, and would definitely recommend it to everyone. Staff were all really helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a big corner room - pretend you have a portacot if you have to!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for you kind review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay as the Bayview Eden Melbourne prides itself on the high level of service given to our guests.

I have forwarded your review onto all the relevant staff for their congratulations.

We hope your next stay with us is just as enjoyable.

Russell Cooper