“Finally! Some good customer service!”

Bayview Eden Melbourne
Ranked #113 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Had a 2 night stay here for my birthday weekend. Due to a flight error we did not get into Melbourne until midnight, and since by that time it was my birthday, we went out drinking! Staff were very accommodating for our 4am check in, and they did not let us down the whole time. Smiles, politeness, and complete attention when they deal with you. We got help when we needed room extras, and when we needed to use the Internet.
The only thing that annoyed me was that despite having the 'Privacy Please' sign on our door we still had housekeeping knocking slightly a few times (not enough to wake us up completely, but enough to break the deep sleep) and that culminated in a phone call at 1pm, asking if we wanted the room done. When I said no and queried the fact that we had a Privacy sign on our door they replied that yes, but some people forget them there and so they double check. Very nice, but when we got in at 4am and went to sleep after 5am, well, what's the point of even having a sign on the door if it's going to get ignored? Still, they were very nice about it so I didn't get too narky.
It wasn't as close to the CBD as I had imagined, but there were trams around the corner that went to Swanston Street, so if you don't mind cabbing it back from the city after hours (or if you're an avid golfer), then it's definitely a great place to stay. :)

Room Tip: If you really don't want to be disturbed, I don't know, maybe leave a note with front desk...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LilDrag0nfly
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our customer service.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Very disappointing hotel.

The room was very "tired". Like a time warp from the 60's, old and worn fittings. The TV cabinet had a thick layer of dust.

Cafe looked pretty basic.

The name "Bayview" does stretch the imagination. You can see the bay, but only beyond a very busy wide road, a golf course and a park.

Definitely one to miss. There are much nicer hotels in Melbourne.

• Stayed: October 2012
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel.

We appreciate all feedback as this assists us with ensuring guest satisfaction.

I will forward your comments to our Executive Housekeeper. I will also advise our General Manager with regard to your overall impression of the hotel.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Spent one night at Bayview Eden in Queens Rd last week. Booked on the web - 2 rooms at $120 each. The check-in was good. The staff were very helpful and friendly and l requested two adjoining rooms which l was given. The common areas are ok - quite comfortable, usual hotel furniture etc, but could use some updating - classic marble floors and chesterfields! The pool area (indoor heated) was really good but the pool was a bit chilly. There's a small gym. But.....the rooms. Oh dear. They look like something from the 70's (but not in a good way) with the huge clock-radio-light-tv beside consoles which had the dirtiest knobs l've ever seen - 30 years of greasy grimy fingers l guess. I did not touch it. Also the 'grooves' around the top of the console (and other matching room furniture) were full of dust. I couldn't stand looking at it. I had to clean it. Otherwise the room was cleaned very well - good white linen and towels, refurbished bathroom which was very clean, except for the bath floor which you stand in to shower. Good toiletries. However, over all this was not a room l wanted to spend any time in and l would certainly not eat in there. The carpet and furniture were covered in various stains and there were cigarette burns on the desk, just horrible. Decor pale pink and grey paint - ick, and walls and skirting dirty, damaged and marked. Wall prints torn UNDER the glass??? This is not the fault of the cleaning staff, this was a maintenance issue. Speaking of maintenance, the battries in my tv remote were flat and the lamp in the adjoining room had a broken globe. I called the desk and they sent two maintenance men to my room very promptly, but l had to spray the room with perfume (Chanel - what a waste) to get rid of the cigarette smoke emanating from their every pore and thread of clothing which was also very dirty. They were polite and helpful but let themselves down in the presentation stakes.
The car park is a shocker. No valet and the parking is virtually all reserved (for whom?) except for weekends. Narrow dark concrete round-and-round ramps going down for ever and when you get to the end - no spots! Breakfast was a disgrace food wise -but again really nice staff. The hot buffet seemed like it had been cooked days ahead (we ate at 8am). The small sausages were so salty and dry that they were starting to turn white on the casings. The scrambled egg was a weeping mass of rubbery curds that would make a chicken kill ITSELF! The mushrooms tasted really weird (???) no idea about them, and the hash browns were soggy and oily. The cold buffet was good. Nice selection of fruit, yoghurt, museli etc, and many types of juice. Terrible coffee. Check out was quick and again the staff were great. They deserve a better hotel to be honest. Good for school groups l think. Will not return, but you get what you pay for. Glad l didn't pay the rack rate!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Virginia L
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I was pleased to read our staff service was prompt and friendly. The issues listed with regards to product have been addressed with relevant department heads. Thank you for the opportunity to address these matters.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in early August and chose it as we had a hire car and needed reasonably priced parking plus got an excellent deal through Webjet. We were not disappointed as the room was very clean, good size and met all our needs. Had no problems using carpark and ate in the dining room one night and thought it was excellent. Late checkout was also appreciated.

We would stay here again and recommend to others

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on Bayview Eden Melbourne. Its great to read our hotel met your requirements and the product was found to be value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here on a Business Trip to Melbourne, I will recommend the hotel, I chose the hotel as it was a short distance from my office which i could walk to.
The staff of the hotel was pleasant and helpful, they had a wide spread for breakfast and the room service and laundry was good as well.
Loved the Free internet access, i assume that was a part of my corporate offer
The carpets looked a bit faded but that didn't bother me...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the feedback. I also believe our location, value for money, and friendly staff are amongst our greatest points.
Thank you again for taking the time.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently for 4 nights with my boyfriend. I booked this hotel because I got a cheap deal online through one of the daily deal websites - $129 per night. In hindsight, could have done better through wotif or similar & been better located in the CBD for a similar price.

The room (Queen Room) was small, but adequate for our needs. The furniture is old & shabby & crowds the small room. You can’t access the window properly because there’s a table & chairs in the way. The bed is hard & the pillows are flat & uncomfortable. There were stains on the carpet & the safe wouldn’t work. There is plenty of space (wardrobe/drawers) for clothes/luggage however. The room is poorly lit & the light switches are confusing to use.

I asked for a room with a view of Alfred Park & I was disappointed by the room we were given. The view of the park was there, but was not great as our room wasn’t facing the park directly but was at the side of the building. And this was after a room change – we were initially given a room that faced the city.

The bathroom was clean & spacious. The only disappointment here was the shower curtain – it was a bit yucky! I’m not a fan of shower curtains though – I hate how they stick to you when you’re showering. Can’t help but wonder who else they’ve stuck to! Toiletries were replaced daily. In fact the housekeeping staff was great.

The wifi is not free & is expensive. We got 24hrs free with our deal, but when we tried to use it found it to be incredibly slow. So glad I didn’t pay for it!

We ate in the restaurant Niche one night. Found the food to be adequate, but not really worth the money charged. The waitress that took our order got my partner’s order wrong! I ordered the lamb & he the steak & we ended up with two lambs. They offered to correct the mistake, but seeing as though the food was cooked & we were hungry, he took the lamb. Should have been offered a discount for the error though, but weren’t. So I wouldn’t recommend the restaurant. Better to go to the city as there are many better options there.

They have a 12pm check out which is great if you’re not in a hurry to leave.

The location of the hotel is okay, but it’s not in the CBD. It’s a 5 min walk to the nearest tram stop (Stop 22 on St Kilda Rd) & then a 10 min ride to Flinders St Station.

The hotel is listed as 4 ½ stars. It’s more like 3 at best. Will not stay at the hotel again, but will find something in the CBD instead.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review Bayview Eden Melbourne.
Our rooms are clean and offer well-priced accommodation within the St. Kilda Road business district. Our location boasts close access to the CBD, St. Kilda, and South Yarra, in a quiet location with views over Albert Park.
I was disappointed to read of the mix-up with meals ordered in our restaurant. I apologise this matter was not resolved to your satisfaction.
Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here last weekend after already several stays this year and were always happy to return as well as refer clients but not any more after this last stay.

Under the assurance and impression we were being booked at the same rate as our previous stay, since it was booked at the same time by the same person. We had been offered a rate of 155.00 per night for our 2 stays with the 3rd night being 125.00 due to a 4am checkout on both occasions, only to be told this time that our 3rd night will be at full rate whether we were having breakfast or not. In addition we had previously been offered two complimentary drink vouchers in our previous stays. Upon asking if there was a voucher left for us this time we were quite rudely told NO as well as been quite suprised and even questioned why we had been given these in the past. The final blow came when we were told upon check out that we also had to pay 10.00 per day for car parking which apparently was implemented in July. Strangely enough our previous stay was in July and we were not charged for car parking at all as this was provided free of charge and as part of our rate.

I am furious that the reservations supervisor could not come out to discuss this issue at the time of checkin but instead gave some ramble to the reservations staff about the fluctuating prices. Are you serious!! If this was the case then what was the point of reservations going beyond to match the wotif.com prices?, I had even showed the girl at the front counter my previous invoice with the 3rd night clearly showing the discount which she also went outback to show the reservation supervisor but they were not willing to offer the same price which I had booked it at anyway. Had I known this I would most certainly had booked elsewhere, as being in the travel industry myself I know how competitive the market is out there. To top it all off I was left standing at the counter while she rudely answered the phone and turned away. If this is 4.5 star quality service, Id really hate to see what the Bayview 3 star customer service is like.

I can assure you I will be no longer be recommending your hotels to any of my friends or my family and especially not my clients due to this bad experience.

Room Tip: Expect what you pay for because this place is definately not 4.5 star
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank habib2nv

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. It is a disappointment to read of a loyal customer having a negative experience.
I was pleased to have corrected this matter for you.

We hope to welcome you back to Bayview Eden soon.