“Don't be fooled, it's not a 4 1/2 star establishment!”
Review of Bayview Eden

Bayview Eden
Ranked #113 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“Don't be fooled, it's not a 4 1/2 star establishment!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently for 4 nights with my boyfriend. I booked this hotel because I got a cheap deal online through one of the daily deal websites - $129 per night. In hindsight, could have done better through wotif or similar & been better located in the CBD for a similar price.

The room (Queen Room) was small, but adequate for our needs. The furniture is old & shabby & crowds the small room. You can’t access the window properly because there’s a table & chairs in the way. The bed is hard & the pillows are flat & uncomfortable. There were stains on the carpet & the safe wouldn’t work. There is plenty of space (wardrobe/drawers) for clothes/luggage however. The room is poorly lit & the light switches are confusing to use.

I asked for a room with a view of Alfred Park & I was disappointed by the room we were given. The view of the park was there, but was not great as our room wasn’t facing the park directly but was at the side of the building. And this was after a room change – we were initially given a room that faced the city.

The bathroom was clean & spacious. The only disappointment here was the shower curtain – it was a bit yucky! I’m not a fan of shower curtains though – I hate how they stick to you when you’re showering. Can’t help but wonder who else they’ve stuck to! Toiletries were replaced daily. In fact the housekeeping staff was great.

The wifi is not free & is expensive. We got 24hrs free with our deal, but when we tried to use it found it to be incredibly slow. So glad I didn’t pay for it!

We ate in the restaurant Niche one night. Found the food to be adequate, but not really worth the money charged. The waitress that took our order got my partner’s order wrong! I ordered the lamb & he the steak & we ended up with two lambs. They offered to correct the mistake, but seeing as though the food was cooked & we were hungry, he took the lamb. Should have been offered a discount for the error though, but weren’t. So I wouldn’t recommend the restaurant. Better to go to the city as there are many better options there.

They have a 12pm check out which is great if you’re not in a hurry to leave.

The location of the hotel is okay, but it’s not in the CBD. It’s a 5 min walk to the nearest tram stop (Stop 22 on St Kilda Rd) & then a 10 min ride to Flinders St Station.

The hotel is listed as 4 ½ stars. It’s more like 3 at best. Will not stay at the hotel again, but will find something in the CBD instead.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Bayview Eden Melbourne.
Our rooms are clean and offer well-priced accommodation within the St. Kilda Road business district. Our location boasts close access to the CBD, St. Kilda, and South Yarra, in a quiet location with views over Albert Park.
I was disappointed to read of the mix-up with meals ordered in our restaurant. I apologise this matter was not resolved to your satisfaction.
Thank you again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here last weekend after already several stays this year and were always happy to return as well as refer clients but not any more after this last stay.

Under the assurance and impression we were being booked at the same rate as our previous stay, since it was booked at the same time by the same person. We had been offered a rate of 155.00 per night for our 2 stays with the 3rd night being 125.00 due to a 4am checkout on both occasions, only to be told this time that our 3rd night will be at full rate whether we were having breakfast or not. In addition we had previously been offered two complimentary drink vouchers in our previous stays. Upon asking if there was a voucher left for us this time we were quite rudely told NO as well as been quite suprised and even questioned why we had been given these in the past. The final blow came when we were told upon check out that we also had to pay 10.00 per day for car parking which apparently was implemented in July. Strangely enough our previous stay was in July and we were not charged for car parking at all as this was provided free of charge and as part of our rate.

I am furious that the reservations supervisor could not come out to discuss this issue at the time of checkin but instead gave some ramble to the reservations staff about the fluctuating prices. Are you serious!! If this was the case then what was the point of reservations going beyond to match the wotif.com prices?, I had even showed the girl at the front counter my previous invoice with the 3rd night clearly showing the discount which she also went outback to show the reservation supervisor but they were not willing to offer the same price which I had booked it at anyway. Had I known this I would most certainly had booked elsewhere, as being in the travel industry myself I know how competitive the market is out there. To top it all off I was left standing at the counter while she rudely answered the phone and turned away. If this is 4.5 star quality service, Id really hate to see what the Bayview 3 star customer service is like.

I can assure you I will be no longer be recommending your hotels to any of my friends or my family and especially not my clients due to this bad experience.

Room Tip: Expect what you pay for because this place is definately not 4.5 star
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank habib2nv
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. It is a disappointment to read of a loyal customer having a negative experience.
I was pleased to have corrected this matter for you.

We hope to welcome you back to Bayview Eden soon.

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here overnight in July with our 2 children. From the moment I walked into the lobby to check in I knew this wasn't going to be a great experience. Lobby floor had several buckets placed around for what appeared to be leaks in the roof (had been raining outside). Lobby was filled with a large group of airline staff waiting to check in plus other guests and only 2 staff, so needless to say check in was a slow wait. Fortunately after waiting in line for at least 10 mins a third staff member was put on the check in desk and he was the only highlight of our stay. Unfortunately I can't recall his name but he was very pleasant and very helpful.

On arrival up to the floor that our room was on I was disappointed to see how worn out it all looked and it was obvious that little if no maintenance had been done in this hotel since our last stay approx 10 years ago! Shabby paint work, dirty carpets, broken woodwork panelling on the walls and very outdated decor.

Our room was also very outdated and somewhat shabby. I was very glad we were only staying here overnight.

Breakfast was included in our room rate however we were charged $12 for 3 hot chocolates!!! We have never been charged extra for hot drinks at any other hotel in Melbourne or any around the world! Breakfast trays were often empty and staff were slow to replenish hot options. Many guests were standing with their empty plates waiting for basics like bacon & eggs. Not good enough for a so called 4-5 star hotel! Staff in the dining room were not overly friendly and started packing up and running around like mad men 20 mins prior to the end of the breakfast service. It didn't make for a nice relaxing atmosphere.

We are fortunate to travel often and stay in hotels all over the world regularly, unfortunately this stay was one of our most disappointing and we won't be back again.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review Bayview Eden Melbourne. I was disappointed to read your stay with us did not meet expectations.
I apologise for the delays on arrival. The hotel had experienced a burst pipe which in turn resulted in a re-allocation of staff to assist with the flooding. However, I understand this would not have given a good first impression.
Thank you for taking the time to inform both our company, and the traveling community with your experiences.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend. I had read some good reviews before I booked but since booking and going there have been a few negative comments and we can fully understand why and completely agree with them. Old and tired, this hotel has seen better days. The carpets are well worn, the hallways had scuffs and damage that were in need of repair. Our room was fairly large and the bed was quite comfortable with dated furniture and fittings. Our bathroom had an over bath shower with a shower curtain, not the best. The tiles surrounding the bath had mould which there is no excuse for. Our kettle in the bedroom also had a life of it's own and decided to start boiling of it's own free will throughout our first night! Breakfast was nice $25 for the full buffet but they wanted another $4 for a flat white! I would give this hotel a rating of a 3 star hotel. It's not good value for the prices that they are charging and if you're looking for a little luxury would be better off staying at many of the other hotels in the surrounding area!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The room I had was clean, everything worked and most importantly the bed and pillows were just right for me, as soon as I was horizontal it was lights out for me.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, as soon as they knew I was getting a tram I was told of the new ticketing system and supplied me with one of the old met cards to get me into the city.
Sure it's not the Crown Towers but it is a fair price for what you get in Melbourne.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review Bayview Eden Melbourne.
I am pleased to read of your comfortable stay. We pride ourselves on supplying a quality affordable product with friendly and efficient service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a place I would recomend to stay away from as it is a 4 - 5 star hotel but it was moare like a 2 star. I booked it to use the pool and spa but they were out of service and they said sorrry but bad luck you can come another week end buit after driving over 2 hours that was not a good offer, the room was very old and basic, shower over the bath which is not to bad but the shower rose only 30% of the holes worked & it was either hot as or no pressure to get it so you could use it. TV siginal was adverage only, kettle self boiled when it felt like it if left turned on, toliet ran continusly if not bashed to stop it, lights on mirror didn't work.
The bed was comfortable thou and the resturant foor was lovely but breaky was not great cold bacon and not enough to go around. all in all give it a miss big time.

Room Tip: Go to anothe Hotel you will enjoy it more read my review and this was not harsh I wanted to say more...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1961traveler
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2012

third time we have been here.. 1st stay couldn't fault anything .. 2nd stay room smaller and not as fresh looking.. 3rd stay was very ordinary .. we have stayed in better 3 star motels on our travels. Our deal was for 1pm checkout had to be out by 12.They couldn't book us over the phone had to do it online, surcharge for paying on credit,no tissues,no dressing gowns and if you wanted more than 2 cups of coffee each forget it as you only get 4 sachets, there was a small blood stain on the edge of sheet-so not good enough .Can't believe there is such a big difference in their room standards and we have experienced the whole three. The niche cafe was as usual above standard and the staff very helpful and friendly a shame some of the rooms let them down

Room Tip: ask for one of the more updated rooms preferably 5th floor and up
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple