“Starting to look run down”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bayview Eden

Bayview Eden
Ranked #108 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
melbourne
“Starting to look run down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Great stain glass wall behind the lobby desk gives you a nice welcome off the street, howeverthe closer you look the more the hotel is showing it's age. Worn couches and chairs (lobby and room), old looking carpet etc. The room was small, we had to rearrange to fit in the in room massage table, the water temperture in the shower fluctuated, and the TV reception was average.
The breakfast was much below average, rubbery bacon, not much range and not much sevice, we had to wait for coffee and tea and still had to ask after ten minutes. The staff were indifferent. The pool was freezing cold. The car park was so dirty and run down I felt uncomfortable walking to my car.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Warragul
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

I booked this hotel as a result of a Wotif mystery deal. Having stayed there, I certainly wouldn't ever pay the full asking price for a room and found it wasn't even worth the discounted rate. There was a slightly grotty feel to my room, which was hard to put my finger on as I'm quite sure it was clean, but there was something about it that just felt grotty. The standard floor lamp was wonky and I was reluctant to use it in case it was unsafe. There was some device beside the television that flashed green light into the room. It would have been impossible to sleep with it going all night. It had a reset button which turned it off for a while but then it would start up again. In the end I covered it with the remote control.

I tried the restaurant. Having ordered a glass of wine I was looking forward to my meal immensely. When it came, it was inedible. The pork was overcooked past a point that any reasonable chef would have recognised. I could barely cut it, it was so tough. I persevered for two tastes, but it was so dry it was a choking hazard. Bitterly disappointed and too tired to peservere, I left the full plate and went to bed hungry. I was charged for the meal at checkout. Although the restaurant staff were very nice, I would have imagined someone would have questioned why the plate was left virtually untouched and I would have hoped they'd do the right thing.

All of the staff were very friendly and efficient, but I couldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to read of your disappointing experience. The “green flashing light” mentioned is related a Victorian government initiative. These energy efficient devices were supplied by embertec to turn the television off from its standby mode. Customer feedback regarding these devices (being too bright) has led to their removal from our accommodation rooms.

Regarding your experience in the restaurant; I encourage all guests, if unhappy with the product, to make contact with the staff on duty so as giving the opportunity to rectify the matter. We relish the opportunity to correct all situations. And I certainly am saddened at the thought of you going to bed hungry.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Stayed there for 2 nights on the 6th floor, and even tought at the booking we asked for a view, we didn’t get it, just a very side view of the Albert Park, as there was a big office building next to us to look at but we were out most of the time.
Lobby is beautiful, they still had the Christmas decors up, it was nice.
Car park is at the basement for free, which is great!
We booked a twin room for bigger space, so the room was spaceous, with a queen and a single bed, a small table, two armchairs and a TV stand (decor is dated). What we didn’t like is the adjoining door to the room next door, and a shower curtain… Through the door, we could hear a child screaming but I guess we would have heard it anyway. Walls are not the thin as they are usually, it was quiet there.
Free wifi at the lobby is available (or if you pay extra, you can use it your room) and they also have a business room where you can access with your room key and you can use 2 computers and a printer. It is great if you don’t carry your laptop but still want to use the internet and need to print out something urgently.
Pool at the ground floor is nice, towels provided, also Jacuzzi at the top floor was great but the sauna didn’t work, however we didn’t ask about it we were not that keen on using it.
Tram lines nearby, there is easy access to the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Albert Park view!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Bayview Eden Melbourne.
I am sorry the hotel was unable to fulfil your request for a park view on this occasion. The hotels floor-plan is such that the majority of twin rooms are on the situated on the side of the property- many of which have great city views.
I was very pleased to read you enjoyed our properties facilities, and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Thank you for choosing Bayview Eden Melbourne.
Sydney - Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on business in March 2012. The hotel looks a bit tired and the decor is very 80/90s chic.. The staff are good and try hard but its not a terrific place. The breakfast was poor, my TV didn't turn on and I had a cold shower. Despite that, it wouldn't terrify me if my work booked me in there again, I just know there are better.

The walk, straight outside the front door, around the lake is about a one hour affair and a terrific stroll.

Room Tip: The view from the 7th floor over Albert Park is a ripper.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ARReynolds
Thank you for your valuable feedback.
I was disappointed to have read of your somewhat troubled stay. Please accept my apologies for the issues experienced with room maintenance and breakfast standard. Our maintenance team is currently completing a complete rooms audit to ensure there is not a repeat of this circumstance.
I am very pleased you enjoyed our service and location, and hope for the opportunity to welcome you back to display these issues were not an example of our usual high standards.
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during the Melbourne Ukulele Festival in Mar 2012. Good location, close to trams and buses, the botanical gardens.

I had a nasty accident during an evening stroll, contacted the management the following morning and the staff were extremely helpful in organising a cold pack for my damaged knee, organised a taxi the the nearest hospital, which, thankfully was less than a mile away.

We were at the hospital for nearly 5 hours but the management waived the fee for overstaying, we were well pass the checkout time.

My sincere thank you to the kind staff member where bandaged my extremely sore knee.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Bendigo, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

Showing its age but ideally situated to enjoy a walk to CBD, Arts Centre, Melbourne Park sports venues or catch trams close by. Stayed one night to attend theatre. Ideal. Free parking a bonus. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank CandJ60
Bayview Eden M, Manager at Bayview Eden, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback.
I am very pleased to read our product met your requirements so well. Our guests often comment on our location, which is so accessible to many of Melbournes great attractions.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

Bayview is one of my favourite hotels in Melbourne. Our room overlooked Albert Park Lake and Port Phillip Bay was visible beyond. Our room was quite spacious, with desk and a couple of arm chairs. The bathroom is large with a good selection of toiletries. The shower is over the bath which can be inconvenient, but the towels were soft and fluffy. The provided robes were also very much appreciated.
Dining in the Niche Cafe at the hotel is very pleasant, the food is well priced and the service is higher than normally one finds in a hotel restaurant. If you don't want to eat in then there are a range of cafes and restaurants in easy walking distance. A great place to eat is "The Olive Tree" on Park Street, or if you are prepared to walk a bit further or drive the Claredon Street eating strip has great selection of different eateries and pubs.
Breakfast during the week is often a la carte, but at weekend you get a buffet that has a wide selection but isn't a patch on the a la carte menu. There is a good selection of daily papers available in the lobby.
The hotel has two gyms and a large indoor pool, spa and sauna. Only negative is not having free wireless internet throughout the hotel.
The price is reasonalbe

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luckywandering
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Thank for your continued patronage.

I am so pleased to read you enjoy our product, and even more so our great service. We work very hard at the Bayview Eden to build a customer focused friendly staff, and then to retain them. It is fantastic to read of the positive results.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.