“Awesome value”

BreakFree on Collins
Ranked #112 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Had to stay here for work - if you are looking for a room that you want to come back and just fall asleep in then this is a great place.

If you are after a "holiday experience" where the place you stay is part of that then this is not the place for you.

Will I stay here again for work - probably for work - not on a holiday of my own.

Staff were friendly, rooms clean & tidy and location is what you are paying for. So do not stay here expecting this hotel to be your focal point, instead use it as a base from which to explore Melbourne.

Room Tip: I asked if I could have one away from Collins St to cut down on tram noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BrettRiddett
Perth WA
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel name is probably more impressionable than the actual place, however, we found it very clean, neat and tidy for two couples. Enough room to make it comfortable. Had the room cleaned and made up every two days. Very reasonably priced, centrally located and close to pretty much whatever you needed, trams, trains, taxi's, food, entertainment and shoppping.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Steve B
Sydney, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,886 helpful votes
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The location is the best feature - everything else is very ordinary.
It is one of the ebst spots in Melbourne - close to the best retail in Melbourne and accessible to all forms of transport BUT it is a very ordinary hotel.
I'd been spoilt in the past with Westin, Hyatt etc. but needed a value spot for sharing with staff members.
It met the budget needs buth the rooms are very ordinary.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thirroul, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We have stayed at Darling Towers on Collins for more than 10 years.
The staff have always been friendly and accommodating. Any issues/problems are dealt with quickly and with a minimum of fuss.
The location is brilliant: trams outside the front door; Swanston Street only 20 metres away; Flinders Street Station and Federation Square only a few minutes walk; Bourke Street shopping via some great arcades and laneways again only a few minutes walk; a two minute walk to Elizabeth Street for trams to the Queen Vic Markets.
The units are generally roomy, clean(ish) and with all necessary provisions for a self-catered stay.
Our only criticism is that the units have not been maintained. Ten or more years without a repaint (or even a good scrub), carpets looking threadbare in places, and curtains missing or damaged, all significantly "cheapen" the place. A good sprucing up while keeping the prices at a reasonable level would certainly help.
Despite this, we would certainly recommend Darling Towers and look forward to staying here in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Collins Street are subject to tram & other traffic noise but provide views of the s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Greg C
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Having stayed at Darling Towers a couple of years ago, it was an easy choice to make, particularly due to its excellent location. Sadly, its location is the only thing this place has going for it.

Weeks prior to our arrival I contacted Darling Towers to ensure an earlier check-in, than what is their policy. I quite clearly emphasized that if an earlier check-in cannot be guaranteed (for which I was also willing to pay extra), I would have cancelled the booking and gone elsewhere ( as I had a wedding to attend hours after my arrival). The staff assured me (since I required the room only an hr before the actual check in time) that it will not be a problem.

Upon arrival we were told that we cannot have the apartment before the designated check in time. The lady at the desk was beyond rude. Would not reason, let alone allow me to explain the situation. I tried to explain, what has been arranged when I called few weeks ago, but her care factor was zero. Finally after arguing with her for something like 20min, her phoning management and clearly saying right in front of us: "These people are just too much?!!" (???) an apartment was miraculously ready for us.

The apartment was dirty, plain and simple. The bathroom has mould growing in the grout. The toilet seat was broken. The balcony had cigarrete buts everywhere. The carpet was dirty and so were the walls. It was really disappointing.

Another thing, upon our return (very late at night) the front door was not working. We buzzed the night receptionist, who told us that it is not his job to help residents and worry about the front door. We tried to explain that we are not residents but apartment guests, but he just hung up. What I presume was a homeless man, broke the sliding doors, walked inside and went to sleep someplace. We went to tell the night receptionist this, who again dismissed us...

Suffice to say, there are much better places where I can stay and spend my money, except for this filthy place with staff that is beyond rude and does not understand the concept of customer service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank banika

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I was hugely disappointed with the room I stayed in after hearing good reviews from family and friends about this place. I stayed for 2 nights in room 404 which was a one bedroom apartment. I was surprised when I arrived at 11am that I could get into my room straight away as housekeeping had been. When i got there it didn't look like house keeping had done their job.
Here are just a few of the issues for this room:
- There was a powerful odour throughout the apartment including the cupboards in the kitchen, bathroom and in the bedroom. I could smell it in the furniture and the drapes. It was most likely someone that had been cooking in there but it should have been aired out properly as it was an annoying smell. I opened the balcony door up to let air in but this did not help. I contacted reception after my first night to demand that it been cleaned. They did put some deodourizer on the carpet but the smell was still evident in the bathroom.
- The carpets, floorboards and drapes were in desperate need of replacing as they were filled with stains and scratches.
- I did not have any towels or face washers when I arrived and had to contact reception to get them. I also found that I did not have any soap.
- There was no tea towel to wipe dry dishes and I could not find any tea bags if I wanted a cup of tea.
- Half of the guest compendium was missing.

Two of my colleagues also stayed here. One was lucky to get an upgrade to a two bedroom apartment but the other was stuck in a room that smelled like cigarette smoke ( I thought it was a non-smoking property!!!).

Whilst it was cheap accommodation right in the CBD, I certainly will not be returning any time soon and will not be recommending it to anyone else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business