“Horrible”

Mantra on Little Bourke
Ranked #24 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights at the Mantra. First room we checked into smelled like urine. When we complained they told us they could put in an airfreshener. The couch had a huge stain (from what I am not sure). The front desk then moved our room. We were on the 4th floor in a room tucked away next to the Plant Room, Communication Room, Laundry Room. There was a constant buzz that made it feel like you were staying on another planet. The shower had mold, towels were not replaced, the curtains were old and musty, beds were lumpy and not comfortable. Their was only one working elevator during our stay and the hallway on the 4th floor had huge stains down the hallway.

Room Tip: find a different hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Kristen B
Andre W, Front Office Manager at Mantra on Little Bourke, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Kristen B,
Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to hear of your dissatisfaction with the cleanliness of the rooms. This is certainly not up to our normal high standards, and I can assure you that steps have been taken to rectify these issues.
In regards to the corridor carpets, we are pleased to advise we are in the process of re-carpeting all of the hotels corridors, with our top floors having been already completed and more scheduled over the coming months. Our elevators are also gradually being replaced and I understand that one of the four has been taken out of service for that reason.
Kristen B, I apologise that your stay did not meet expectations and if you would like to discuss your stay with me further please contact me at anytime.
Warm Regards,
Andre

Write a ReviewReviews (2,235)

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Just had a one night stay in Room 115. If you like enclosed spaces, but not small spaces, this room is for you. Check-in was seamless, having booked via Wotif. I had stayed for about ten days at this hotel a few years ago but had not experienced Room 115. It's on the first floor, with neighbouring rooms being service rooms for the hotel. There are no other accommodation rooms nearby so you don't have to worry about noisy neighbours. The room features and fittings are quite satisfactory however the room itself looks like an add-on. There are three windows, two from the large bathroom overlook a side lane, and one, from some sort of elevated, but inaccessible "mezzanine" area, overlooks who knows what. It is an interesting room. Unfortunately the AC was noisy with no obvious on/off control. Other rooms at this hotel have been very good and I would stay again, owing to its proximity to a client, but I would probably like a room with a bit of natural light

Room Tip: try Room 115 for an experience, or not
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Had a terrible stay at the Mantra when in Melbourne for a work trip. Unfortunately Melbourne had a week of 40 degree weather and the hotel aircon just did... not... work.

I had the worst sleep of my life on the first night of what was meant to be a 3 night stay. The hotel staff really tried their best to fix the situation, but the aircon couldn't be fixed in my 10th floor room. I slept about 2 hours that night, the rest was spent tossing and turning and sweating. Of course there are no windows to open to at least get some airflow.

We had to move property the following day as another night of that was unimaginable. Like I mentioned, the staff were fantastic but this was just out of their control. This property is in a good location and close to my work, but not sure if I would be willing to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with good aircon
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank haydensydney
Andre W, Front Office Manager at Mantra on Little Bourke, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear haydensydney
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay in January at Mantra on Little Bourke.
I was pleased to hear your comments regarding the service you received from our staff during what was a difficult time. I apologise for the lack of sleep you received and the air conditioning issues that were experienced during what was the hottest week in Melbourne in the last century.
I can assure you that our air conditioning is now running as per normal and hope that you will give us the opportunity to make amends for this unfortunate experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra on Little Bourke in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Andre

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed at Mantra on Little Bourke, for three nights last weekend. I was initially quite concerned at many negative reviews I read on Tripadvisor about cleanliness and poor air conditioning. I wrote directly to the hotel voicing my concerns and received two phone calls from their Front Office, reassuring me about my worries. And the hotel delivered.

We used a Queen/Queen studio room, ample space for three adults, a nice sitting area with separate TV, kitchenette facilities include fridge, microwave, kettle, etc. Some of the furniture is a bit tired and stained, but the actual beds were comfortable and clean. The bathroom too, was fine.
Very close to restaurants, shopping, in the CBD. Taxis outside the door or a call away.

I believe if you have a problem or concerns, give the hotel a chance to fix it, usually they will do their best to help. Much better than going there with worries and feeling you did not get a good deal. I realise not everyone can check ahead of time to see they have a good room, nor should one have to. But in our case, it worked well, I got the room and the cleanliness I wanted, no complaints at all.

Staff were helpful and polite at all times.

This was a HOT weekend in Melbourne, I asked for a fan to supplement the aircon, worked fine.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Justraveling
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed here in the first weekend in February 2014. Great location, great service. Only thing I didn't like about the room was the bed. It was rock hard, and 2 king-single beds pushed together, which on isn't uncommon, but usually I've found that there is a thick mattress protector or similar so it wasn't noticeable, no here though. My wife and I might as well has slept in separate beds. The room was large, with a full bathroom including bath, which my 21 month old daughter appreciated, good sized shower and vanity. The kitchenette was small, but functional, but missing an Oven, and the fridge was a normal Hotel minibar one. The room was quiet, no external noise at all. We used the Valet service, and it was always prompt. The staff were helpful and professional, although checking out was a bit of a pain due to the lack of staff and the 10am rush.

Overall, it was great hotel, good location, and a good price. We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My partner and I were pretty happy with pretty much everything here except the pricing- very overpriced. Also, the dining table in our room was broken, and there were some pretty bad stains on our doona (looked like blood).

The staff were all very accommodating and friendly, the room was very spacious and clean, and the spa bath we had in our room was awesome.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels in my time, and found this to be very average for the price.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Amazing hotel. Great location in the Melbourne CBD, walking distance to the centre of the city, shopping and china town. The room was massive, with great features and was clean. Good service including holding our bags after checkout.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends