“Beware Room 115”

Ranked #30 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Lake Macquarie, Australia
“Beware Room 115”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Just had a one night stay in Room 115. If you like enclosed spaces, but not small spaces, this room is for you. Check-in was seamless, having booked via Wotif. I had stayed for about ten days at this hotel a few years ago but had not experienced Room 115. It's on the first floor, with neighbouring rooms being service rooms for the hotel. There are no other accommodation rooms nearby so you don't have to worry about noisy neighbours. The room features and fittings are quite satisfactory however the room itself looks like an add-on. There are three windows, two from the large bathroom overlook a side lane, and one, from some sort of elevated, but inaccessible "mezzanine" area, overlooks who knows what. It is an interesting room. Unfortunately the AC was noisy with no obvious on/off control. Other rooms at this hotel have been very good and I would stay again, owing to its proximity to a client, but I would probably like a room with a bit of natural light

Room Tip: try Room 115 for an experience, or not
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Had a terrible stay at the Mantra when in Melbourne for a work trip. Unfortunately Melbourne had a week of 40 degree weather and the hotel aircon just did... not... work.

I had the worst sleep of my life on the first night of what was meant to be a 3 night stay. The hotel staff really tried their best to fix the situation, but the aircon couldn't be fixed in my 10th floor room. I slept about 2 hours that night, the rest was spent tossing and turning and sweating. Of course there are no windows to open to at least get some airflow.

We had to move property the following day as another night of that was unimaginable. Like I mentioned, the staff were fantastic but this was just out of their control. This property is in a good location and close to my work, but not sure if I would be willing to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with good aircon
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank haydensydney
Andre W, Front Office Manager at Mantra on Little Bourke, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear haydensydney
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay in January at Mantra on Little Bourke.
I was pleased to hear your comments regarding the service you received from our staff during what was a difficult time. I apologise for the lack of sleep you received and the air conditioning issues that were experienced during what was the hottest week in Melbourne in the last century.
I can assure you that our air conditioning is now running as per normal and hope that you will give us the opportunity to make amends for this unfortunate experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra on Little Bourke in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Andre
Sydney
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed at Mantra on Little Bourke, for three nights last weekend. I was initially quite concerned at many negative reviews I read on Tripadvisor about cleanliness and poor air conditioning. I wrote directly to the hotel voicing my concerns and received two phone calls from their Front Office, reassuring me about my worries. And the hotel delivered.

We used a Queen/Queen studio room, ample space for three adults, a nice sitting area with separate TV, kitchenette facilities include fridge, microwave, kettle, etc. Some of the furniture is a bit tired and stained, but the actual beds were comfortable and clean. The bathroom too, was fine.
Very close to restaurants, shopping, in the CBD. Taxis outside the door or a call away.

I believe if you have a problem or concerns, give the hotel a chance to fix it, usually they will do their best to help. Much better than going there with worries and feeling you did not get a good deal. I realise not everyone can check ahead of time to see they have a good room, nor should one have to. But in our case, it worked well, I got the room and the cleanliness I wanted, no complaints at all.

Staff were helpful and polite at all times.

This was a HOT weekend in Melbourne, I asked for a fan to supplement the aircon, worked fine.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Justraveling
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed here in the first weekend in February 2014. Great location, great service. Only thing I didn't like about the room was the bed. It was rock hard, and 2 king-single beds pushed together, which on isn't uncommon, but usually I've found that there is a thick mattress protector or similar so it wasn't noticeable, no here though. My wife and I might as well has slept in separate beds. The room was large, with a full bathroom including bath, which my 21 month old daughter appreciated, good sized shower and vanity. The kitchenette was small, but functional, but missing an Oven, and the fridge was a normal Hotel minibar one. The room was quiet, no external noise at all. We used the Valet service, and it was always prompt. The staff were helpful and professional, although checking out was a bit of a pain due to the lack of staff and the 10am rush.

Overall, it was great hotel, good location, and a good price. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My partner and I were pretty happy with pretty much everything here except the pricing- very overpriced. Also, the dining table in our room was broken, and there were some pretty bad stains on our doona (looked like blood).

The staff were all very accommodating and friendly, the room was very spacious and clean, and the spa bath we had in our room was awesome.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels in my time, and found this to be very average for the price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Amazing hotel. Great location in the Melbourne CBD, walking distance to the centre of the city, shopping and china town. The room was massive, with great features and was clean. Good service including holding our bags after checkout.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stayed here for five days, on a business trip...
It is in a great location, easy to walk to a lot of places in the CBD.
However, my room was dirty (rubbish behind furniture, mould in the shower, hair in the kitchen drawers, oil spatters on the kitchenette surfaces), and management and housekeeping did nothing despite me going downstairs and raising the issue.
Housekeeping in general was very average, I ran out of some supplies and they were not replaced.
The restaurant is pretty average, and the staff have a low attention span, making it challenging to get their attention when you want to order or get the bill, similarly low attention span with order, often bringing me things I specified I didn't want. Such as bringing me butter and milk, when I said 'no dairy'.
Overall, it would be a compliment to call the hotel average or poor. On the fourth floor there a numerous large red stains along the hallway carpet, the carpet itself needs to be re-laid as there are parts of bunching up, creating trip hazards. Most surfaces, walls and furniture have a worn out look with scrapes, scuffs or splash marks.
The air conditioning is weird, it gets incredibly hot and stuff over night and sometimes is accompanied by a burning smell. No matter how much you adjust the thermostat, it has no effect.
You'd do better to stay at a private room in a youth hostel or at a bed and breakfast, and get more value for you're money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the eastern side of the hotel, you're much more likely to avoid the greasy foo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business