“modern hotel”

Ranked #72 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
“modern hotel”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

modern hotel with large rooms, comfortable beds and good service. seafood buffet on Friday and Saturday nights is excellent. nice location across the road from lake. easy access to city and local shops and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

PullmanAP, General Manager at Pullman Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you kindly for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay at Pullman Melbourne Albert Park. As mentioned in your review, our location is definitely fantastic for enjoying Albert Park Lake, but also a short distance to shopping, restaurants etc. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Gillian Millar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Shepparton, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed two nights recently and after the first night asked to move rooms as we could here "everything" from the room next door. The staff were very helpful but the next room was not much better. We had a late checkout but were interrupted by housekeeping asking when we were checking out.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ray,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Pullman Melbourne Albert Park. I apologise sincerely that there was an issue with noise for you on this occasion. Please rest assured that we will monitor this very closely to prevent future occurrence.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the future.

Geraldton, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed 4 nights on Bussines trip, the Hotel is large and spacious with wonderful reception and bars. The room was was very nice plenty of space and had two large double beds. The Bed was very comfortable. Large Screen TV with plenty of channels to choose from and also a range of Recent Films you could hire. The Bathroom was well set out with nice big shower, Room service was also very good with a decent choice on the menu. The only minus for me was the internet charges for wi-fi in the rooms was about the most expensive I had seen with a one day package $26.50 ONLY 400 MB limit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Pullman Melbourne Albert Park. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the friendly service provided by our staff. Thank you for your feedback in relation to the internet. At Pullman, we strive to provide a superior experience for all of our guests, therefore your feedback is very important to us.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed overnight and had seafood buffet at the windows restaurant. Food was excellent and the staff were really courteous, friendly and helpful, this included reception and the valet parking area. The hotel is very impressive, has great bars, rooms were really nice, and is on a good position for Melbourne city or the beaches. Loved our stay will be back

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Lindylou2015
PullmanAP, General Manager at Pullman Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Lindylou,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Pullman Melbourne Albert Park. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests and especially feedback in relation to our wonderful staff. I will pass these comments onto the Team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Being a fan of luxury and upscale Accor properties and after finding out about the recent renovations to this property (including the addition of an Executive Lounge), I decided to book a couple of stays over May and June as romantic local escapes during the recent Accor sale. After dropping in and checking out the rooms and lounge (with a very friendly and helpful staff member – Emma), I booked a third stay for April, and convinced a family member to book a stay also for April.

I have incorporated the first two stays in this review. Although there were a few minor issues regarding Le Club Accor status recognition and closure of the lounge on the first stay, it was still enjoyable and the issues were more than made up for in the second stay.

The hotel lobby is impressively designed, with the effect of the crisp white walls of the levels above the lobby, the modern light fixtures and a staircase leading to the first level giving a very nice, modern feel as the first impression of the hotel.

Late checkout was organised for a fairly generous 3pm on the first stay (though that involved a bit of push and shove to be later than the standard checkout of 11am), and an extremely generous 5pm on the second stay - which occurred without having to even request it. Although we did not stay right until the end of the checkout time on either stay, having generous late checkout is always appreciated.

Being able to wait at the bar made the check in and wait-for-room experience an enjoyable - though not terribly speedy one on both stays. The bar at the lobby level does a very good Bloody Mary, and a passable (though not great) Martini, and has a nice selection of other cocktails, beer and wine. On both of my stays drink vouchers were included as part of the Le Club Accor Platinum status welcome, allowing the above drinks. This is a fantastic touch, and much better than when the hotel decides what you are having as your welcome drink (I have left far too many fruity cocktails half consumed in SE Asian Accor properties).

The rooms are where this hotel really shines. The size of the rooms, the room colour/ design choices and the views were all excellent in the Executive Lake View Rooms. I was truly surprised at this feeling of spaciousness in an Australian upscale hotel on both stays (as opposed to the Sofitel Melbourne - where the Club access rooms feel quite cramped). The room on the first stay was slightly larger, though I actually preferred the second room – slightly smaller but I think nicer.

The beds are not quite as 'cloud like' as some other Pullman and Sofitel beds. Although the bed was slightly firmer than I was expecting on the first stay, it is not necessarily a bad thing as ultra soft beds don't always equal the best sleep. Either way, the beds are still very comfortable.

In the room for the second stay there were (always appreciated) welcome note(s) for Le Club Accor status, with a printed and hand written provided. A bowl of fruit was provided as the check-in gift, which was also appreciated. Overall the status recognition on the second stay was very good – at the same level as nicer SE Asian chain hotels (which generally trump their Australian counterparts).

The lounge access was one of the main reasons I booked at the Pullman Albert Park. I had assumed that booking an Executive Lake View Room gave access to the Executive Lounge. This assumption was based on this being the way to get access at all other Accor hotels stayed in (where Club or Executive Room bookings give access to the Club Lounge/ Executive Lounge). Unfortunately this assumption was wrong for this property, and lounge access is only granted by paying for it as an extra – or by being Le Club Accor Platinum (which I thought meant I was doubly covered). I think it would make sense for the hotel to review this, and raise the cost of the nicest rooms slightly to incorporate lounge access (it would make them money for guests who don't use it as well as avoid confusion and make the experience more luxurious for those booking the nicest rooms).

The interior design of the Executive Lounge is well thought out (though with fairly uninspiring views – they have been deservedly reserved for the Lake View rooms). There are a fairly large number of seats for the at-the-moment underutilised lounge. The staff member who attended the lounge (I did not catch her name) was fantastic, and she conducted herself with the right ratio of professionalism and friendliness. Available all day at the lounge was a selection of soft drinks (in the old school glass bottles which is a nice touch), juices, sparkling water, tea and coffee, apples, and very tasty passionfruit biscuits. The canapés provided in the evening were decent, and the limited alcohol selection was of pretty good quality – both were enjoyed immensely. Although the quality of the food cannot be compared to the Sofitel on Collins lounge (which I actually preferred as much or more than dishes at No. 35 Restaurant at that same hotel), it was on par with some international Sofitel properties and many Pullman properties, though with an understandably very limited selection given the number of clients. The breakfast was very relaxed and of high quality in the lounge. There was a nice selection of hot food, pastries, fruit, cheese etc. I can thoroughly recommend booking lounge access with your room, as the whole experience was very enjoyable and lounge access makes a stay feel much more luxurious.

The breakfast was quite good in the restaurant on the first stay as well, though it was very busy and cramped. The selection was much larger in the restaurant than in the lounge, though surprisingly the quality and freshness seemed better in the lounge (I write surprising, as one would assume that they come from the same batches of food with the lounge changed less frequently).

The room service ordered on the first stay was really good - which is not always the case in nice hotels, or even in nice hotels with good restaurants.

The movie on demand system had a great selection of fairly recent movies, which made getting the unlimited movie deal worthwhile.

Overall, I think this hotel deserves to be ranked much higher on Tripadvisor than it currently is (a relic of the previous branding of the hotel I expect), as it is definitely a better property with better value than many of the hotels ranked higher.

I look forward to my next stay in just under a month.

Room Tip: Book lounge access and an Executive Lake View Room, they are worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tolchok
Dear Tolchok,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Pullman Melbourne Albert Park. It is always a pleasure to receive positive and detailed feedback from our guests as it allows us to continually monitor our products and service levels.

First of all, I would like to say thank you for acknowledging our staff and their customer service. I will pass these comments onto the Team and I am sure that they will be delighted to hear your feedback.

As mentioned in your review, the Le Club membership offers fantastic benefits and I am glad that you enjoyed some of the benefits on this occasion; including late checkout, welcome drinks and the bowl of fruit that was provided as a check-in gift. We feel that these touches are very important so that our members feel that their loyalty is genuinely appreciated.

Your comments about the Executive Lounge were a pleasure to read and I am very glad that you enjoyed the hospitality provided.

Thank you also for encouraging others to stay with us – we truly appreciate you recommending us to family and friends.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Enjoyed my first stay at the Pullman and was very impressed. The Hotel has a very fresh and modern feel from the moment you walk through the door. The staff are welcoming and friendly and everything is done with a minimum of fuss. Great breakfast buffet with excellent selection and a short tram ride away from Melbourne City. The rooms are lovely and well furnished. All in all a great stay and would thoroughly recommend.

1 Thank mrtiggs2016
PullmanAP, General Manager at Pullman Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Miss Bollie,

We are delighted with your review and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Our staff strive to provide excellent service to all our Guests and your comments will be shared with our team.

We are thrilled of your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed here on business for four nights. The hotel lobby and guest facilities out the front are very sleek and attractive (the bar is very, very well located for waiting for taxis and people etc close to reception), and the business facilities were reasonable.

My room was clean and comfortable, minibar was very well stocked with beer, wine, soft drinks, nibbles, etc - this is very important because there aren't many restaurants handily located to the hotel. Prices are what you would expect from a hotel minibar. There was always plenty of parking under the building.

The main two complaints I have is that the hot water made this godawful howling noise in the pipes and would definitely have bothered people in the next room, and that the hotel wifi was abysmal and kept dropping out in my room on the fourth floor. I recommend just tethering your laptop to your mobile phone because the 4G reception in the area was excellent. Don't bother buying wifi access if you're on the third of fourth floor though - it doesn't reach.

The staff provide exceptional, world-class customer service and I was very, very impressed by every staff member I needed to come into contact with.

Despite this, though, I wouldn't choose this hotel unless you were using the conference facilities or needed to be near Albert Lake for some reason. It's too far outside of the Melbourne CBD.

1 Thank Asynca
Dear Asynca,

Thank you for your review from your stay with us whilst on business.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and are delighted with your feedback regarding your room’s cleanliness and minibar.

Your comments regarding the noise in the pipes and wifi signal have been noted for our Engineering team review. We thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

We hope to welcome you back again on your next conference in Melbourne.

Kind Regards,