“Overall pretty good”

Pullman Melbourne Albert Park
Ranked #77 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Pullman for a week last September (while it was still the Sebel Suites). The rooms were lovely and large, the decor was nice and the building was very nice. The staff were also extremely polite, friendly and accommodating. When we first got to our room there was an issue with the television, when reported to reception someone came to fix it within 10-15 minutes so no drama though. The hotels negatives are that the bathrooms are a little basic for the price range and that parking is $40 per day and its extremely difficult to find the bay you're supposed to stop in as there is no actual signage and at times we found the concierge service a little slow when bringing the car around. The location is reasonable but a bit of a hike if you're wanting to walk out to eat as the majority of options aren't very close.

• Stayed: September 2012
PullmanAP, General Manager at Pullman Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for your recent review we very much appreciate your comments and feedback. I will be sure to review and discuss this further with my team.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We live in the outer suburbs of Melbourne, but often spend a night or two in the city when we have events on there. Generally we stay at a different hotel, but that was full so we tried a mystery deal, and got the Pullman. It was Good Friday and we'd just been volunteering at events for the Royal Children's Hospital and were quite tired. Judging purely by the self park, they didn't seem that busy and we were very happy to find that we'd been upgraded from a room with two queens to a family room. The room was quite large with a queen and two singles. The bathroom also had a spa bath and a separate shower. Very nice.

After the long day, we were too tired to look anywhere else for dinner, so just went down to the restaurant. Although it looked quite upmarket, the staff were very friendly, while still maintaining a very professional bearing. Shortly after being seated, our 9mth old started playing up. She was teething and not very happy at all .. parents will know what that means. Anyway, I ended up taking my daughter out and tried to calm her outside in the (empty) business centre. One of the staff members came over to see what was up. He was very good about the situation and then left me after asking if there was anything he could do to help. In the restaurant, they took my meal back and kept it warm while my wife finished her's. My wife then came to relieve me and I got back just as my meal was being delivered. Again, the staff in the restaurant were really good.

Anyway, rather than continue with War & Peace, let me just say that even through the external bearing of the staff was what you'd expect from an upscale hotel, they were also very warm, friendly and helpful to families. And it wasn't just us either. There were other families with young children at the restaurant and the staff seemed to be equally excellent with them.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that various members of our staff were helpful and able to accommodate yourself and your family while dining in the restaurant. We hope to be provided with another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We have just arrived and our first impression is exceptional service. "Andy" was the first person we met on arrival and I give him 5 stars for customer service professionalism. The room is as expected as per pictures and exceptionally clean. We are looking forward to seeing what else this accommodation has to offer as we are here for a 4lovely night stay.

• Stayed: March 2013

I’m glad to hear your first impressions of the hotel have been great. I will be sure to pass your lovely feedback onto Andy. We hope you continue to enjoy the rest of your stay with us.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I've stayed here many times when it was the Sebel - so I was interested to see what differences there would be under Pullman management.
There is little physical difference at the moment - things look much the same. What was different was the service. Under he Sebel brand the service was only average, the staff seemed pretty disinterested. However under the Pullman management the staff are attentive,and proactive - a nice change, well done!
My room was large and clean, nothing special but ok. A nice fruit basket welcomed me back (thank you). There was no wifi available, although it is advertised, which was frustrating. Room service took awhile to answer but the food turned up quickly. The food itself was ok - not great but ok.
The buffet breakfast is typical 'production line' hotel food - pretty ordinary really, plus they have one of those terrible automatic coffee machines that make horrible coffee - please employ a barista!!!
The hotel is well located, across the road from Alfred Park (do yourself a favour and take a walk around the lake ) and walking distant to Chapple street, as such the hotel can be quite crowded with tour groups.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the future brings

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted to hear the service you experienced during your stay was great. I will be sure to share this lovely feedback with my team. A barista is something we will look into for the breakfast area. Thank you again and we hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had 3 nights at the Pullman. From the start the staff were great. The bed....at last a hotel which provides the doona with two separate sheets rather than the doona wrapped in a cover. We were provided with a king size comfortable bed. Large room with plenty of room to walk around. That said, I am told that the hotel rooms are to be refurbished, that would make the hotel even better.
Its location is a little out of town & needs a tram ride to take you to town. The tram is only a 3 min walk from the rear entrance
Being there at weekend challenged me to find alternative reasonably priced breakfast. There is a cafe 1 1/2 blocks away on St Kilda Rd heading to the city, open at weekends "Bistro Bakini" 568 St Kilda Rd. Also on your way there you will pass a convenience store. Week days turn towards St Kilda & you will get a big breakfast for $11 at "600 cafe"

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, as guest reviews enable us to monitor our standards to ensure we are proving our guests with what they want. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you back at the hotel.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at the Pullman last night, for one night. Great location directly opposite Albert Park. All staff were very friendly and warm. Check in was easy as was valet parking. The room was much larger than we expected and provided ample space and places for work. We did dine in the restaurant and Friday night was Seafood Buffet - I probably wouldn't rate the buffet. We will look for this hotel again in the future. We did book through Last Minute and got an excellent rate.

Room Tip: Our room was a Queen room - great space.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business just days after the F1 Grand Prix wrapped up. The check in process was swift, and the porter offered to take my bag and later deliver it to the room once it was available. The room itself was perfectly servicable with 2 very comfortable queen beds. The view was directly into the windows of a neighbouring hotel, but given the schedule I was barely in the room during daylight hours at all so I wasn't too concerned. Toiletries were plentiful, and the shower head awesome. No issues with water pressure or hot water. We were able to access Wifi free of charge, however I found that you needed to confine yourself to a particular corner of the room in order to get a strong signal.

Breakfast was no better or worse than you'd expect at a major hotel these days, although if you wanted a half decent coffee you needed to grab that from the cafe in the lobby. The coffee on hand in the restaurant was very very ordinary.

The location is lovely if you're after a peaceful stay somewhere. Access to the CBD is via car or Tram (around 15 minutes depending on traffic), and a trip to St Kilda will take you around 10 minutes, but you're directly accross from Albert Park Lake which despite the Grand Prix fences still looked great. All in all a pleasant stay, and I wouldn't cringe if we needed to go back for business again.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the lake would be the pick.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us, and for the detailed review on your stay. I will be sure to pass your feedback onto my team, and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.