“Don't do it.... worst hotel experience in 15 years! YOU MUST READ MY REVIEW”

Bayview On THe Park
Ranked #142 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“Don't do it.... worst hotel experience in 15 years! YOU MUST READ MY REVIEW”
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Saw plenty of bad reviews before I booked, but these related to the Standard rooms. So I thought the Premier Room may be better, looks quite nice on the internet. I called the hotel and asked how old the rooms were and the lady told me they are undergoing renovations and will be completed by Oct for my stay... I thought "great." It was supposed to be a romantic getaway so I also requested a queen bed, I had also put in my booking comments that our 3 night stay was part of a Birthday surprise. A surprise it was! PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE... our room was nothing like what they show on the internet and was not renovated at all. Slapping in some new cheap carpet is not a renovation and you will see this as soon as you walk down the trashed hallways. The rooms are old (I .would guess 15+ years) and they stink of smoke even if it is labeled a non-smoking room now (clearly the door signs are new, but the rooms were smoking for a long time which the smell is evidence of. The sheets and bed spreads had cigarette burn holes! the drawers in the rooms were filled with crumbs, this hotel was dirty. Plus although asking for a Queen bed we were given 2 doubles which took up most of the room (despite requesting a Queen months in advance). They claim to be a 4 star, more like a 2.5 star. We spoke to the Manager on duty and he could not have cared less.... after we referred him to the Premier Room shown on their website internet he tells us like we should ahve known "oh no, there is only one room that looks like that." This hotel is a joke and what they show on their website is false advertising that's for sure! Instead of views to Albert Park, we had views over air conditioning units and a dodgy carpark.... were so convinced we were given a Standard room rather than Premier we asked to see one of their Standard rooms, it was practically the same except even smaller and yes, despite non-smoking it stunk of smoke. Their Business Centre has one computer and the internet didn't work, so don't expect to have any internet either. We were so upset firstly about the room, then the treatment by the Manager/staff that we ended up staying somewhere else and checked out at 10pm. They gave us a refund of our prepaid accommodation and to be honest that was the only good thing that happened to us at this hotel. We ended up spending more money for a 3 star IBIS, without parking or breakfast... but it was well worth it! At least the IBIS was honest about their star rating and what it offered and the staff were amazingly friendly and helpful. Whatever you do, don't let your trip be ruined by booking this hotel... I promise you you will regret booking here! As a traveller of over 15 years, I have never been so disappointed by such a false advertised hotel. Even the staff couldn't be honest when I called prior to booking and asked the age of the rooms, I still can't believe she proudly told me they were being renovated, clearly there is something very wrong with this hotel extending all the way down to their staff!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FrequentTravellerCI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
melbourne
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We stayed for two nights in a premier room, the first room we were offered had a smell in it, possibly from being fumigated, we asked for another room, and the porter and concierge moved us immediately. The room had new carpet and was of a neat and clean appearance.

We had requested at time of booking a premier room with one queen bed, we got, a premier room with a double bed and a single bed, The double bed was pushed up against a wall, so my other half had to climb over me to get into bed and had to sleep with a wall next to him. Besides that, the bed was comfortable. ( have added a photo of the beds)

The chairs in the room were very comfortable, and it was a nice touch that there is a lamp over the chair to read by.

The bathroom had a shower over a bath and they used a shower curtain, the bottom of the shower curtain had mould all along the bottom of it. (I have added a photo of the mould on the shower curtain)
Apart from the mould on the shower curtain the rest of the bathroom was clean and neat.

The hallways are tired looking, but by the look of it they are refurbishing.

The breakfast was fine, with basic hot and cold food available.

We ate at the restaurant one of the nights, and the meal I had was very very salty, I would not eat there again if I stayed.

I didn’t swim in the pool or spa, but they looked very popular with the kids.

There is free parking which is great as the money saved will pay for your tram ticket to get into the CBD.

I would stay again, but I hope next time they will change the shower curtains more often, as they are quite inexpensive to replace.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holidaysrgreat4me
melbourne
Reviewed June 30, 2010

This was our first day in melbourne an dwhat a disappointment! the hotel claims to be 4 stars , but we had the experience of having stayed in a poor B&B.The bedcovers and carpets were musty, the walls thin, bathrooms narrow and dated.The heating did not work.The front desk service was good though!
We moved into the Vibe the very next day, for a cheaper rate and fantastic ,clean and spacious facilities.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rosedoc

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Victoria
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My Husband and I stayed At Bayview On The Park for two nights and found it to be a great place to stay. We found the service to be friendly and efficient. Bayview On the Park is a four star Hotel which overlooks Port Phillip Bay and Albert park Lake. We found it very convenient with Crown Entertainment Complex, Southbank and all the other City sights, a short tram ride away. Another bonus is The Free Parking. We enjoyed our stay and definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank IslandGirl68Victoria
Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2010

This was a great hotel for a family. It is more convenient if you have a car to get there, but was about a 10min walk from tram stops. Rooms were large & breakfast in the mornings was tasty. Would stay again, but a little out of the way.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeelongCat
US and UK
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Pros
-Good location- just a 20 minute walk or a tram ride away from the center of Melbourne or St. Kilda Beach
-Spacious, quiet, and clean rooms
-Three choices of breakfast at graduating cost starting with Tea & Toast, Continental, and Full English Breakfast. It was tasty. Room service was fast and good.
-Great view of Albert Park
-Wonderful pool, hot tub and gym area
-Relaxed & friendly hotel bar
-Concierge helpful and very knowledgeable of the area.
-Coffee and tea making facilities in the room and mini bar with fridge.
-Flat screen tv
-Desk and chair and 2 easy chairs

Cons
-Spotty wifi service in the lobby. I was unable to access the wifi 2 days out of my stay. I was told by reception that I had to contact the hotel's internet service provider to complain. I found this irritating and inappropriate because I do not have a contract with the internet service provider and this should have been done by the hotel itself.
-Be careful when using the security lock in the room. This must be manually unlocked before leaving the room. Otherwise you will be lock out of your room and will have to be let in by the concierge with a master key. Very annoying.
-The mini bar re filler will come to the room everyday and will use his master key to let himself in.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank yedra78
victoria, australia
Reviewed March 19, 2010

the room was classed as a queen standard. it did have a queen size bed placed in a very small, basic room that last saw a fitout in the early 1980's. it all had a sense of tiredness - apart from the lurid burgundy carpet which will live forever. the bathroom was basic, with vanity unit designed for a hobbit. basically clean it all came across as grubby, verging on collapse and not worth the $129 price. we later saw it advertised on another website for $99 - and at that price it is value.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple