“Could use some updating”

Bayview On The Park
Ranked #136 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Overall, can't really fault the hotel, but it wasn't anything special. While the lobby looked nice, the rooms were completely outdated. Old furnishings, decorations, etc. The "hair dryer" was one of those old things that attach to the wall with just a hose coming out. Needless to say it took forever to dry my hair. The gym also needs some updating. Very old equipment.
On the plus side, it is in a great location and is fairly quiet. Super easy to catch trams into the city. We were there on AFL GF weekend, and our room was directly across from the lifts and right above the front door, but we didn't hear anything!
Be aware the beds are really hard and the pillows really flat.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bayview On The ... M, Front Office Manager at Bayview On The Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I do hope your AFL team won.

I will pass a copy onto our General Manager and Executive Housekeeper in relation to the room i.e. pillows, bed etc

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Melbourne.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Pretty disappointed with the service, I booked a shuttle and was running late to get back to the hotel to catch it. I called the hotel twice to let them know and they said it was fine. Got to the hotel a couple minutes before it was meant to leave and they told me it had already left. The staff member told me they tried to call me but called my international number instead of my aus numbet despite giving them my aus number which they had called earlier on in the day. Place was tired but it was cheap and close to public transport.

1  Thank Bhavna03

Thank you for your comments.

Unfortunately we can not hold up the shuttle service as it is not one that is operated by the hotel but I will speak to both the front office staff and porters in reference to your comments.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I thought we had a great deal. On arrival I was poorly greeted by one staff member who seemed to be working with no emotions. He spoke so quickly with his head down while working at the computer. When I asked him to repeat what was said, he seemed to be annoyed that I had not heard him the first time. My deal included - free parking, buffet breakfast, overlooking the pool or golf course and 12pm check out. On handing over my credit card, he explained that parking would be an extra $10. I thought, "ok, a simple mistake" and went on to explain that parking was included in the deal. He handed me my room card and I was on my way. As my husband and I entered the room on the 5th floor, we were impressed until we looked out the window and realised we were overlooking the car park. I was disappointed & rang reception to explain that there had been another mistake. I was then asked to come back down to reception by another staff member who was willing to fix it up. Once again I had to queue up and unfortunately, I was faced to deal with the same motionless male staff member again. He abruptly explained that it was a matter of request and that it wasn't a guaranteed thing. By this stage I was frustrated and pulled out my printed deal to show him exactly what I had paid for and was entitled to. I was also a bit embarrassed by this point and felt like I had to heckle to get what I had paid for. The deal did not say "over looking the pool, golf course or carpark" it stated " overlooking pool or golf course". I did not receive an apology. He then placed us on the 2nd floor two doors down from the lift. Upon entry of this room we were again disappointed. The stuffiness hit you suddenly, the paint on the wall was peeling, the furnishings needed maintenance. I was willing to forget all this just for the view outside. When I opened the curtains I realised our view was partially obstructed by the canopy of the Hotel entrance and limited view to the golf course. The whole experience was very unsatisfying. I would never recommend this Hotel.

3  Thank Janey624

Thank you for your comments.

We do appreciate both the positive and negative comments as this assists us in understanding and helping our guests during their stay.

I apologise as you state the staff member was emotionless and i will discuss this further with all staff.

The majority of our rooms do have the aspect of looking over the pool area (at the rear of the hotel) which is between the hotel and the carpark or overlooking the Golf Course across the road from the hotel. I am sorry you feel you didnt initally get the room you booked.

I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to assist you next time you are in Melbourne and If I can be of any service please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had a good deal and were really pleased with the hotel. The service staff did a great job & other staff were always keen to care. Would certainly go there again with the bed & breakfast deal that we had.

• Stayed: September 2012

I will pass these onto all staff.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our trip was a last minute two night stay for a sport competition at the aquatic centre. the room was spaciaous, clean and comfy, not 5 star but you know that when you book. room service the first night was sensational. lots of food and great value!! the service was faultless.
Ronnie the concierge went out of his way to be helpful even dropping us off himself to the aquatic centre once we realised we left it oo late to walk.
Breakfast was good, standard selection.
good value, well positioned for what we needed, see you next year!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Bayview On The ... M, Front Office Manager at Bayview On The Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you for your comments its nice to know that the staff go out of there way to assist the guest where possible.

I will pass on a copy to Ronnie.

Look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We recently spent a weekend at the Bayview, staying in a Premier room which overlooked the golf course and out to the bay, which was really impressive. The room was a good size, the bathroom, although little dated was clean and well presented.
Reception staff were efficient and helpful, especially when our TV was not working, the request for assistance was met with prompt friendly service.
Breakfast was a delicious buffet spread, with plenty on offer.
It is an 8 min walk to the numerous trams found in St Kilda Rd, which head directly into the city centre and a 15-20 min walk to the shopping district of Chapel road.
Dinner at the local Cafe/restuarant,, Roscoes at Chevron, good value and delicious meals.

Room Tip: We booked a Premier room which had great views..The road below was busy, but because we were on the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant fufure.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel was very reasonably priced with great amenities and friendly service. We had a room on the third floor which overlooked Albert Park, so the view was lovely. Queens Rd was below but the traffic sounds couldn't be heard. The beds were very comfortable and the space in the room was very sufficient. If I had any complaints it would be the less than efficient hairdryer in the bathroom. The concierge was friendly enough but was very short on information with direction details other than get off at tram 25, and wasn't overly helpful on another account regarding an airport shuttle bus. The reception staff, however, were fantastic and very helpful.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely think about staying there again.

1  Thank ned-nessie

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay.

We appreciate all comments as this assists us in bringing the best of service to our guests.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant department heads.

Hope to see you back at Bayview on the Park in the near future.