“Good location, rooms a bit frayed”

Mercure Welcome Melbourne
Ranked #103 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
New York City, New York
“Good location, rooms a bit frayed”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Stayed here as part of our tour. The location of the hotel was excellent, right in the heart of town and very close to Chinatown. Our room was 1149, the window view is across to another building. The room contained a king size bed with a kitchenette. I think the set-up of the room could have been better. It would have accommodated another bed. The bathroom was tiny and a bit dingy. Breakfast at the hotel was decent.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dingy and small bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Arrived about 40 minutes late due to train delay. Tram from Spencer St down to Elizabeth and a short walk up little Bourke, however its just around the corner from Swanston St. I was upgraded, and had a great room, very modern, no noise, staff friendly at all times. Check in and check out were a breeze. I'd certainly stay here again and would willingly recommend this hotel to friends.

• Liked — The location, and the price and the standard of the accommodation
  • Disliked — My stay was all too short.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank sailormod
singapore
Reviewed September 10, 2008

I agree that the hotel's location is superb! It's centrally located and has many great shopping places around the area -including Chinatown. However, we had quite a bad experience in the room - heard a lot of noises at night and that affected the quality of sleep/rest. The breakfast is below average and the service staff were rude and not customer-oriented at all. Would only recommend this hotel to those who wish to take advantage of its low cost (quite affordable) and the hotel's central location. If you are looking for a great rest and relaxing holiday, this is not really a good place to be in :P

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The quality of service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I am a regular traveller to Melbourne (more than once per month) for Business, and this is the best all round accommodation I have found. I have stayed here about 10 times so far, after trying several other hotels. Many other hotels in Melbourne are far worse than this.

If I had unlimited budget, there are many classier hotels, but being conscious of expenditure, this hotel is great.

Price:
The hotel is normally about $100 per night on weeknights.

Breakfast:
The buffet breakfast is cheap and good (weetbix, hot breakky, hot chocolate, etc). Not the hugest variety, but good value.

Location:
A couple of minutes walk to Myer, DJs, and many other big retail outlets. 5 minutes walk from Flinders St Station. Trams outside the door of the hotel. very good location.

Noise, etc:
Occasionally there are street events which can generate noise (concerts in the mall, etc), but 95% of the time, I cannot hear any noise.

Other Travellers:
I often see older people at the hotel, as well as airline staff. This normally results in a quiet comfortable stay (there are not many rowdy poeple keeping you awake).

Rooms:
The rooms are small but comfortable. There aren't too many facilities, but when working, I am mainly looking for a comfy bed to sleep in. The Air Conditioning works well (good cooling in Summer, good heating in Winter). Non smoking rooms. I don't understand some of the problems people have had with the rooms (eg stained carpets, etc), my rooms have always been very clean. I might just be lucky.

View:
There is no view out the windows, except to the other hotel rooms, etc. This isn't too much of an issue to me. The lack of sunlight in the mornings can make it a bit more difficult to wake up.

Check In / Out:
Normally very quick., The staff are knowledgable and friendly, never any hassles.

Cabs:
They normally wait outside the front door, very convenient, even at 6:30 AM when I leave for work. The office is about 20 minutes away from the hotel, there wasn't any options in Port Melbourne for accommodation.

Security:
The doors to the foyer are "room key access only" after a certain time at night, I think 10:00 PM. The elevator can only be operated by room key. I haven't had any problems with security.

Overall Experience:

This hotel is great for price, and everything else. It isn't too glammorous, but there are no issues which would prevent me from staying there.

• Liked — Great value
  • Disliked — No views from the rooms to Melbourne CBD
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
6 Thank parityerror
adelaide, australia
Reviewed July 25, 2008

i have stayed at the welcome 2-3 times a year for the last 15 years. i have always found it almost the same every time.
it doesn't have the largest rooms, but i have always found them neat & tidy and the staff friendly.
i wouldn't want to stay here for any more than 2 or 3 days at a time as it might feel somewhat claustrophobic but for short stays it's perfectly fine.
the location is great , right at the top of chinatown and all it's restaurants and only 1 street over from the main shopping strip the bourke street mall.
the breakfast at $18 for an all you can eat buffet is ok but melbourne is not lacking for eating places so i don't eat at the welcome very often unless we are there for a breakfast meeting. only once have i ever experienced the rooms next to the lifts and now when booking i always ask for a room away from the lifts.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small room size
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank dazAdelaide
Gymea, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2008

My daughter and I stayed at the Mercure Welcome weekend of 19 July. It was the third time for both of us staying there. I think its a great hotel for the price, location is excellent. We stayed in a standard room which was on the top floor facing the street. The room was very clean and the beds extremely comfortable. We arrived at 9.30am after an early flight. Our room wasnt ready (the hotel was full the night before and we didnt really expect to check in straight away). However, the front desk phoned us about 11.30 to say we could check in. We had left our bags in the luggage storage while we looked around and the next day we also left our luggage after checking out. . Our room rate included full buffet breakfast as well. All of the staff we encountered were professional, friendly and helpful. Other times I have stayed there I have found the staff always friendly and courteous. I have stayed in a room facing an alley and another one facing a brick wall but it was never a problem. We were in Melbourne for the shopping and sights so all we really needed was a comfortable, clean bed to sleep in which we always had. Can't understand some of the bad reviews of this hotel. Would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank roselilycat
Tasmania
Reviewed July 23, 2008

The Mercure Hotel Welcome is truly a central location. It is a large hotel with basic functionality. However, what a shocker!

The room we stayed in was conveniently located right next to the lifts. The noise from these alone were enough to send you crazy! Banging, crashing noises filled our room all night for two nights as people came and went from the hotel until I finally got some shut eye at nearly 4 am! But to my horror I was woken again at 5 am by business types leaving this property. Babies, I can cope with, and a little noise from the staff early of a morning is bearable, but this was ridiculous!

To add to this, the rooms are cramped, dirty linen and towels, plus you see no natural sun light as this hotel is virtually an internal block building.

The cheap price is the only thing that would ever make you consider this an option.

My advice, stay away if at all possible.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple