“short stay”

Mercure Welcome Melbourne
Ranked #107 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Standard rooms very small and havina a quite sleep imposible. I could here lift, noise from other rooms. Location ok. DO not use any parking service they offer, you can find much cheaper in many places in the city.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Had a fantastic break in the middle of town
Easy to get around to the footy to see friends and from the airport by bus
staff were very friendly and informative facilities were clean and bed was very comfotable

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Positives:
Central location
Good value bars and food
Large area on ground floor with pokies and bar
Clean rooms with crisp sheets
Helpful staff
Negatives:
Tiny rooms
Could hear everything, and with pipes above the bed, every time someone used water it rushed past us and woke us up.
We are an Accor member, and we would have liked to have been offered an upgrade to a bigger room (we would have happily paid for it), as we have been offered in other hotels being a member of their group. There is no benefit being a member with this one.
Tiny bathroom
No where to put anything.
Room looked out onto a concrete wall.
Luckily we were only there during the evening/night, otherwise it would have been awful

You basically get what you pay for , and for the cost in Melbournes CBD it was great value.
We would stay again, but try and make sure that we get a room that is bigger, and maybe facing at least the front of the building.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the king sized bed, they are larger.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The frustrating thing about Accor and the Mercure brand is that it's terribly inconsistent. I Have now stayed in three different Accor properties in Melbourne and unless you go 5 star your experience is going to below average. If it wasnt for the location i would have scored this hotel worse than it was, however surprisingly i thought it better than the Mercure treasury gradens where my shower wasnt working and all. The Welcome is in a great location, TV had poor picture and volume didnt work. After reporting they fixed the picture buty not the volume. For the price I paid i would go here again. It's the best so far from Accor for me however i might try a different brand as I can't afford the Sofitel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Not what I'd expected from a Mercure hotel (having stayed in one in Sydney a week earlier). The reception area was not welcoming and while the staff were doing their best, not having a computer system working to check people in, caused a delay.

The rooms were very basic and the decor was quite dated.

Sleep was not great, mostly due to the noise from other rooms and in the corridor.

Good central location.

Glad it was just an overnight stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jayne D
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I am usually blown away by Accor's hotels, but this one only wow-ed me in terms of its location.

A fundamental hotel stripped down of many non-essential items, but what bugged me the most was the lack of a safety deposit box in the room. I carried my laptop around with me for my whole trip simply because I cannot bring myself to trust an electronic lock that is easily bypassed by master key cards. Another thing was that the plugs were located on another wall perpendicular to where the table was; a good thing my cables were long enough and I can still place my devices on the table while charging.

Other than that, if the primary aim is to explore the city and to experience Melbourne rather than stay in the room, this is highly recommended for its location. Friendly concierge staff as well!

Room Tip: There are no views in sight as the building is surrounded at all sides.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 1, 2013

First of all the room was very small, marks on the wall and an obviously old bathroom, the bed I had booked a double & got 2 single beds pushed together & covered by a sheet. The front desk were equally rude and unwilling to help. Whilst I had pre-paid my accommodation and emailed the Hotel to confirm the booking, upon arrival I was advised there was a $100 check in deposit to guarantee any costs such as room service, movies etc when I refused this the boy on the desk warned me that if I did not pay he would cut off my phone, deny me any pay per view movies & deny me the ability to order room service should I feel inclined.

The best thing about the hotel is the location once you figure out how to get where you are going it's in a good spot.

Room Tip: The best thing about the hotel is the location once you figure out how to get where you are going it...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo