The Swanston Grand Mercure in Melbourne is well located in downtown surrounded by restaurants and malls. But great location also means it can be noisy & full of traffic at the lobby and surroundings. The room I stayed in was quite bare, very basic with not many furniture. A kettle, a bread toaster, and microwave oven were in the room, but there was barely any table to put it on. The room looks like very minimum was spent in building or renovating the hotel -- as if any moment, the hotel could pack up and shut down easily.
I stayed here for a week, but I regretted it because I found the room not cosy at all. And the cost was not cheap either. For the price I paid, I expected free internet access and breakfast, but got none of these. Internet/Wifi was very expensive here. So I would not recommend anyone who needs to use their internet to stay here.
I have learned my lesson well because I stayed in 3 different hotels also in Melbourne central, and I would not choose The Swanston. It is not bad, but it has nothing much to offer other than location. And it cannot really compete with other hotels. For the price you pay at Swanston, you would be better off somewhere else because there are plenty of nicer options in Melbourne.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure is a 4.5-star hotel positioned in an unrivalled location in the very heart of Melbourne's CBD and city, surrounded by the city's most popular business and shopping precincts, theatres, galleries, bars and restaurants. With shopping meccas like Bourke Street Mall, Emporium Melbourne and H&M right on your doorstep, other attractions like Federation Square, Southbank, Her Majesty's and Regent Theatres, Queen Victoria Markets and Melbourne Central Shopping Complex are just a short stroll away. In addition, with a tram stop conveniently located at the front entrance - a quick tram ride will take you to all major sporting venues including the MCG and Etihad Stadium plus the city's cosmopolitan shopping and entertainment hotspots such as St Kilda, Chapel Street, Bridge Road and Brunswick Street. The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure is Melbourne's most centrally located hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Travelocity, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure Hotel Melbourne
- The Swanston Hotel Grand Accor