We stayed at this great hotel in December 2013 whilst watching England crumble against the Aussies at the MCG. No matter how dismal the performance of the England Cricket Team, we were assured of a warm welcome and a comforting evening in the Swanston. The first thing to recommend this hotel is its central location; a few minutes from China Town, a short stroll to Federation Square and a pleasant walk to the MCG. In fact all destinations were very accessible, either by foot or by the network of trams (some free) which could be boarded along Swanston Street. Despairing of test cricket, we even walked to the Etiad Stadium for some Big Bash entertainment, a half hour walk form the hotel. The rooms in this hotel are large and very comfortable. For mum, dad and 11 year old son we were given two double beds and a single, and there was space left over. A lovely flat screen TV meant we could watch even more cricket from our beds! An easy to control air-con unit meant we could always set ourselves a correct temperature too. The bathroom is also worth a mention, with a proper bath as well as a shower. Lots of good quality products were provided and there were even flannels as well. Each day the room was adequately cleaned, whilst still leaving us able to find all our stuff. All of the staff were very friendly, and the Cocoon Bar provided a relaxing place to unwind after the stresses of the day. I felt very comfortable with my son in this bar, and it was a great place to chat to other guests. We chose not to eat at the hotel restaurant, but did enjoy the bar meals on several occasions. In fact the steak and chips was so good (and a bargain at $18) that we had exactly the same the following evening! Any negatives? The view was not so good, but this is a city hotel, so what do you expect? We paid $20 for 7 days wifi, and although workable, it was very slow. Being room only, we felt $18 for breakfast was a bit expensive so took advantage of the location again to enjoy sushi, eggs and bacon and a variety of other options available on Swanston Street. Great hotel – thanks for making our stay in Melbourne memorable!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure is a 4.5-star hotel positioned in an unrivalled location in the very heart of Melbourne's CBD and city, surrounded by the city's most popular business and shopping precincts, theatres, galleries, bars and restaurants. With shopping meccas like Bourke Street Mall, Emporium Melbourne and H&M right on your doorstep, other attractions like Federation Square, Southbank, Her Majesty's and Regent Theatres, Queen Victoria Markets and Melbourne Central Shopping Complex are just a short stroll away. In addition, with a tram stop conveniently located at the front entrance - a quick tram ride will take you to all major sporting venues including the MCG and Etihad Stadium plus the city's cosmopolitan shopping and entertainment hotspots such as St Kilda, Chapel Street, Bridge Road and Brunswick Street. The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure is Melbourne's most centrally located hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Accorhotels.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure Hotel Melbourne
- The Swanston Hotel Grand Accor