My sister and I recently stayed in Melbourne for 3 nights for the Monet exhibition at the NGV and chose this hotel for it's location and the reviews that we had read on Trip Advisor. As someone who had never been to Melbourne before, this hotel is wonderful location-wise as it could not be more central.
The hotel is not the most up to date decor-wise however, we had a standard twin room which was huge - two double beds and a lot of spare space (a chest of drawers would have helped though). The room even had a microwave in it. Check in and check out were both quick and efficient and the staff that we encountered were all welcoming. Be warned that they can be very busy as this is also the reception for the attached Mercure Welcome Hotel.
If the various attractions are not within easy walking distance, (and most are), then there are tram stops right in front of the hotel.
The concierge - Chris - was fanastic - he explained where things were and provided a map and details of the best way to get there. The stop for the free City Circle tram is a few blocks up (on Latrobe), or down (on either Flinders Street) - we found this a great way to work out where everything was and what we wanted to see. If shopping is your thing, then it all starts directly around the corner - if you go out the side entrance of the hotel (Little Bourke Street), David Jones and Myer are literally next door. One of the great joys that we found was Melbourne's many arcades and lane way shops and eateries - just wander - but take note if you seen a place you want to go back to as there are dozen of them!!
We did not eat at the hotel as there plenty of eateries of various cultures and budgets right at the door-step or within a block or so. Haigh's Chocolates are in the foyer) and both Chinatown and the Greek District are within easy walking distance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure is a 4.5-star hotel positioned in an unrivalled location in the very heart of Melbourne's CBD and city, surrounded by the city's most popular business and shopping precincts, theatres, galleries, bars and restaurants. With shopping meccas like Bourke Street Mall, Emporium Melbourne and H&M right on your doorstep, other attractions like Federation Square, Southbank, Her Majesty's and Regent Theatres, Queen Victoria Markets and Melbourne Central Shopping Complex are just a short stroll away. In addition, with a tram stop conveniently located at the front entrance - a quick tram ride will take you to all major sporting venues including the MCG and Etihad Stadium plus the city's cosmopolitan shopping and entertainment hotspots such as St Kilda, Chapel Street, Bridge Road and Brunswick Street. The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure is Melbourne's most centrally located hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Agoda, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure Hotel Melbourne
- The Swanston Hotel Grand Accor