The Swanston Hotel was in the perfect location for me. It's located on Swanston Street, in the heart of Melbourne, literally up the street from the Flinders Street Station. They city thrives outside the hotel doors, and there are so many restaurants, cafés, and coffee shops around that you're spoiled for choice. And that's not to mention the two eateries in the hotel, and the café next door, that is recommended by the hotel. But then again, I'm sold on any hotel that has a chocolatier that opens out into the hotel lobby.
I don't think the room was as plush as the two that I had stayed at in Sydney and on the Gold Coast, in the two weeks prior to visiting Melbourne, but I was highly appreciative of the fact that this is a smoking free hotel.
I was irritated that I did have to wait for a room to be made up for me when I arrived at about a quarter to two. However, the staff did their utmost to ensure that I was not waiting for long.
All of the staff that I dealt with were fabulous, displaying courtesy and manners each time I had contact with them. And I have a soft spot for the assistant concierge who went out of his way to get me a ticket to the almost sold out exhibition that I wanted to see that week. The housekeeping staff are also lovely, and take pride in their work.
The Swanston Hotel has an unassuming street-front entrance that blends in with the surrounding businesses, so you really have to watch out for it. I liked the fact that the entrance didn't really appear as though it belonged to the hotel - it made my stay feel more cosmopolitan, and kind of like I was staying in the sort of hotel you might see in a Hollywood flick.
The hotel is located a short stroll away from the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens, Melbourne Museum, RMIT, the State Library of Victoria, Flinders Street Station, and Federation Square. Bourke Street Mall is just around the corner if you're up for a bit of shopping - David Jones AND Myers in a short stretch! If you fancy a longer walk, it is possible to meander your way to Lygon Street and have a bite to eat. Also within walking distance is the Old Melbourne Gaol, and I recommend a visit there!
I wouldn't hesitate to stay at The Swanston Hotel again, especially given its proximity to eateries, and cultural experiences.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure is a 4.5-star hotel positioned in an unrivalled location in the very heart of Melbourne's CBD and city, surrounded by the city's most popular business and shopping precincts, theatres, galleries, bars and restaurants. With shopping meccas like Bourke Street Mall, Emporium Melbourne and H&M right on your doorstep, other attractions like Federation Square, Southbank, Her Majesty's and Regent Theatres, Queen Victoria Markets and Melbourne Central Shopping Complex are just a short stroll away. In addition, with a tram stop conveniently located at the front entrance - a quick tram ride will take you to all major sporting venues including the MCG and Etihad Stadium plus the city's cosmopolitan shopping and entertainment hotspots such as St Kilda, Chapel Street, Bridge Road and Brunswick Street. The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure is Melbourne's most centrally located hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotel.de, ACCOR and Hotels.com so you can book your The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure Hotel Melbourne
- The Swanston Hotel Grand Accor