“Definitely 3 stars, good if you're a 20 something, maybe” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Crossley Hotel

The Crossley Hotel
Ranked #37 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Definitely 3 stars, good if you're a 20 something, maybe”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Good things = central, clean, great food around, free wifi (but slow), free movie channel. Bad = noise outside (particularly drunk students on weekend and emptying bins at 6 am); inside (paper thin walls, could hear water running, people talking). Most shockingly, security! Other guests were able to enter our room by mistake with their key!!! Very scary. Hotel promptly re-coded, but not confident at all. Bathroom also very old and tired, beds and pillows hard.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Melissa T, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Jdaniellep,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I'm pleased to read you found the hotel centrally located and close to many great eateries. I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed the use of the Free Wi-Fi and Free In-house movies.

It's disappointing to read you did not enjoy much else about your stay. We are in the process of discussing the waste removal issue with the local council, however I do hope that this did not cause any disturbed sleep. I would also like to apologise for another guest getting access to your room, this is obviously a serious security issue and I will be using your feedback at our next staff training session, to ensure something like this does not happen again.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to our request for feedback and I look forward in welcoming you back to the Crossley Hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

Property Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

The Virgin holiday website review said 4 stars. No, it's 3 stars and OK at it. The rooms were reasonable in size, but old and in need of refurbishment, but were clean and the beds were comfortable. The air con wasn't working (due to repairs), and no offer to reduce the tarrif, the lifts were noisy, with a strange ball-rolling-down-a-pipe noise all night

That said, the location was excellent, and the staff were friendly, professionsl, knowledgable and very helpful.

The breakfast was a standard limited buffet hotel style breakfast. The staff were eager and helpful, and they could poach an egg properly.

All up, a fair choice of hotel to stay in the Melb CBD. I've stayed in "posher" hotels in Melb that were not as good and more expensive.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Melissa T, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Aussietraveller1,

Thank you for your recent review.

I'm pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at the Crossley. I appreciate your comments in regards to the decor of the room and the air conditioning, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment and will take these comments on board. I'm delighted you found the hotel centrally located. It's also pleasing to read that you found our staff professional and helpful and I'm glad they were able to help you out with any queries you may have had about the local area.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I look forward in welcoming you back to the Crossley Hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

Warrensburg, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We spent 3 nights here, and really enjoyed our stay. The room was very comfortable and quite, so sleep was great. It was also centrally located, either to catch the different tour buses or just to walk to what you wanted to see. The Staff was very helpful answering questions about where to go and what to do. Would recommend this to my friends.

Room Tip: Make sure you take time to visit the Parliament while you are there, it is wonderful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear William G,

Thank you for your recent review.

I'm pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at the Crossley Hotel. I'm delighted you found our rooms comfortable and quite. You're certainly right the hotel is centrally located and close to many of Melbourne's well known attractions and lovely eateries. I'm glad our staff were able to help you out with questions and any local information you needed.

Thanks again William for taking the time to write a review and I look forward in welcoming you back to the Crossley on your next visit to Melbourne.

Launceston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Booked three nights believing the rooms were of good size, those on level six a very small ,room for the bed and not much more . No living area.
For the money paid - not value for money.
Reasonable location

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Andrew W,

Thank you for your recent review.

It's disappointing to read that you did not find your room at the Crossley value for money and found it to be small in size. Perhaps next time you stay you would considering staying in one of our Superior Rooms or Apartments? You may find this more suited to your needs as they come with a living space, including a kitchenette, dining area and couch for your comfort.

I would like to thank you again for your review and hope you will consider the Crossley Hotel again on your next visit to Melbourne.

Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Good comfortable hotel handy for Melbourne CBD. Staff were pleasant and helpful. The noise from the restaurants late at night was disturbing as was the refuse collectors at 4.00am Sunday morning. Don't bother with the breakfast, it is a rip off and there are plenty of lovely, reasonably priced cafes serving great food close by. The free Internet was a bonus that not many hotels offer.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that face the lane way that runs parallel with Little Collins Street
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear JayneanneBrisbane,

Thank you for your recent review.

I'm pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at the Crossley. I'm delighted you found our staff pleasant and helpful, I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the team. It's disappointing to read that you did not find the breakfast in the restaurant value for money, I will pass your feedback on to the restaurant manager.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and I look forward in welcoming you back to the Crossley on your next visit to Melbourne.

Kind Regards,

Byron Bay, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I made a last-minute decision to visit family in Melbourne, and to my surprise my first hotel options were booked out ... mid week and winter? Realised on arrival in Melbourne that the British & Irish Lions supporters were in town ... Luckily my decision to stay at the Crossley worked well. Great location, walk to everything in the CBD and close to every imaginable food and transport option. Will definately stay here again. Only minor gripe was my bed was a little toooo firm! Very friendly and efficient staff, free internet was a BIG bonus, and being a smoker having a room on the 3rd floor with the smoking terrace saved my sanity with my first coffee hit of the day!!! All round good hotel.

Room Tip: Third floor room if you want to duck out in your PJs for a ciggie on the terrace ... designated area...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jaffajen
Melissa T, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Jaffajen,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Crossley Hotel. It's great to read that you enjoyed the use of the free wi-fi and I'm delighted to read how friendly and helpful our staff were. I will be sure to pass on all your kind comments. I appreciate your feedback on the mattress and will take this into consideration when planning our next refurbishment.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crossley Hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We chose this hotel for its location. At the top end of China Town, the location worked well for us as we were going to the theatre, and earlier, wandering the streets. A little trickey to get to by car though. We had a generous sized room, on level 1. We found it to be very clean, comfortable and quiet with good amenties.
The only small negative...we had paid an extra $10 when booking online, adding a continental breakfast. At checkout this was challenged. Lucky we had the paper work on us. Also, hotel does not have foxtel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Melissa T, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear ChristineB55Geelong,

Thank you for your recent review.

It's great to read you enjoyed the location of the hotel, you are certainly right it is near by to all of Melbourne's Theatres. I'm pleased you found the rooms comfortable, clean and quiet. I will pass your comments on to the housekeeping manager and his team, as they work very hard to keep the rooms at a high standard, so he will be happy to hear this.

I apologise for the confusion with your pre-paid continental breakfast, I will use your feedback at our next team meeting to ensure this type of thing does not happen again.

Once again I appreciate you taking the time to write a review and I look forward in being able to welcome you back to the Crossley on your next visit to Melbourne.