“The heart of Melbourne”

Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)
Book In Advance
$18.35*
and up
Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) Tour with Optional Entry Ticket to the National...
$18.35*
and up
National Sports Museum General Entry Ticket with Optional Melbourne Cricket...
$90.97*
Sports Lovers Tours of Melbourne
Ranked #2 of 437 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) is Australia's largest, oldest and most popular sporting venue. The MCG has hosted plenty of international cricket, including the first-ever Test and the 1992 World Cup final, countless VFL/AFL Grand Finals, the 1956 Olympic Games and 2006 Commonwealth Games. It also hosted the final of ICC Cricket World Cup 2015. Other sporting spectacles include FIFA World Cup soccer qualifiers, rugby league home and away matches and State of Origin and international rugby union clashes. Apart from its sporting events, the MCG has also witnessed many blockbuster music concerts, and even Pope John Paul II held a mass there when he visited Melbourne in 1986. The MCG has a total capacity of 100,024 people, comprising 95,024 seats and 5000 standing room spaces. The stadium also houses the National Sports Museum, which includes some of the most priceless pieces of memorabilia in Australian sporting history.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 17, 2013

No better place to watch the footy and truly be immersed in the game! Delicious food, cold beer and an electric atmosphere! A must when travelling to Melbourne and experiencing Australian culture. Where I first any many others, fell in love with AFL.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,330)

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The MCG Tour is absolutely fantastic. We had a great guide who was very knowledgeable and friendly. We did all the interesting parts of the park - it was the right length also to keep the kids interested as well. Great value for money also, We also coupled this with the Sports Museum which was a great package.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I live in Melbourne and go to the G many time during the footy season and I also do the Melbourne Marathon which finishes with a lap of the G. I thought though it was time to do the whole tour with my 12 year old footy mad son. Overall the tour is great and you get to see some areas that would otherwise be out of bounds of the ground and the history of the ground is fascinating. Unfortunately though we had a tour guide that was a major general and really put a bad taste on the experience. I stopped to take a photo of my son when we were on the edge of the ground and fell behind about 15 steps from the group. When we caught up I was berated by the guide in front of the whole group and told in no uncertain terms that there are 300 security cameras in the arena and security would take me straight out of the place if I strayed. I was very embarrassed with everyone looking at me. Tips for anyone going is to wait for a smaller group so you can take photos with out others in the group being in the shot (I had 15 people in my group and most of the time when you are stopped you are in a small space) and so you have time to ask questions of the guide. The Sports Museum is also fabulous with so much to take in. You really need to allow a minimum of 4 hours to really do both properly but parking close by is only 1 or 2 hours so be prepared for a walk from somewhere else if driving there. Ken was our MCG tour guide and in the NSM we encountered a lovely lady named Sue who was wonderful.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Weather for June was surprisingly good a cold but fine night for Friday night football. Had a long walk to get to the football from Downtowner Hotel on Lygon St. Found a good hotel on the return walk to enjoy a couple of beers to celebrate the Bombers victory.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Never disappointed at the MCG.
Footy isn't played at a better ground :) If you're going to attend a footy game while you're in Melbourne, the MCG should be your preference.