“Amazing building”

and up
Melbourne Self-Guided Audio Tour
Ranked #17 of 398 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Step back in time and walk the road to the gallows in a 19th century prison, be arrested in a modern-day Police Station or put yourself on trial in court.Home to Melbourne's oldest prison, historic Magistrates' Court and former Police City Watch House, Russell Street has been at the heart of crime, law and order in Melbourne since the 1840s. Most of Australia’s infamous characters, including iconic bushranger, Ned Kelly and notorious gangster Squizzy Taylor have spent time within the walls of this amazing precinct. A ticket to the Old Melbourne Gaol Crime & Justice Experience grants you visiting rights to the past, present and future of crime and justice in Australia.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Sydney, Australia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Amazing building”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I had been here before many years ago and it hadn't really change but my husband had never been, so while in Melbourne we decided to go. It is such a beautiful yet creepy building to be in. It is very interesting to walk around and read all about the goal, although it is quite expensive for a self guided walk. Its something you have to do at least once while in Melbourne, if for the architecture alone.

1 Thank Michelle J

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Old Melbourne Gaol”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

My 16 year old son and I recently visited the Old Melbourne Gaol as a continuation of our Australian History (Victoria) Tour, which we commenced in October 2012 in Glenrowan, the infamous site of Ned Kelly's capture. Whilst I agree with some other reviews regarding the relatively expensive pricing, the fact that the tour also included the Watch House experience, made it more value-for-money.
We really enjoyed reading about the history of the occupants of each cell (where applicable) and learning about rations, torture (the maximum number of lashes allowed at any one time with the cat o' nine tails was 50. OMG!); and were both extremely unsettled by the rope and the trap door located on the 2nd level.
The Watch House experience was fantastic! The Sargeant definitely played her role very well and I found that I was indeed guilty of possessing contraband.
All in all, it was a fascinating and sad experience, and definitely a little spooky at times! I got goosebumps several times during the visit. (I believe they also conduct ghost tours, which we did not attend). I don't think you have to really be into Australian history to appreciate the tour, but do leave yourself plenty of time to thoroughly explore - we cut our time too short and rushed it more than I would have liked.
Located on Russell Street, the site is very central and easy to get to via public transport or walking (which was our preferred mode of transport).

120 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“Only if you are interested in " old " Australia history.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Only if you are seriously interested in Australia history, otherwise you will be sorely disappointed. I would say: the australians have succeeded in making a big deal out of small facts in their short history. If you skip it, you would not miss much (unless you are seriously interested in Melbourne and Australia history).

Visited January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“It was just ok!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Me and my friend were really looking forward to this attraction. I have to say we were dissapointed. We payed $28! When we first got into the gaol I we thought it would be great! But as we went on there were 3 floors and half of the rooms were empty! For that reason I don't think it should have cost nearly 30 bucks. We didn't get a play or a tour guide either in the gaol. The watch house tour guide didn't seem that interested either and we were in and out so quick! It cost me less to go to the tombs, dungeons and Madame Tussaud's in london.

1 Thank Neese-23
Wellington, New Zealand
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“took way more than the recommended 45 mins”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

a fascinating insight into historic Melbourne. Particularly liked the visit to the watch-house though i wont say why unless I spoil it. The presenter there was fantastic. The gaol has 3 floors of cells and many of them have a story to read about an inmate or a catagory of in-mate. This is also the place where Ned Kelly was hanged.