Flagstaff City - Melbourne
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$130
$124
$240
$172
$89
$80
  • Pool
Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$96
$72
  • Free Internet
Crowne Plaza Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$137
$121
  • Restaurant
Citadines on Bourke Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$195
$107
$85
$77
  • Restaurant
Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$74
$69
  • Restaurant
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$137
$113
  • Fitness center
$290
$232
  • Pool
All reviewsbudget accommodationcontinental breakfastqueen vic marketspencer street stationhairdryer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Stayed there for 8 days and overall we were happy with our trip. We booked an Executive Room and by the look of it it looks like it was recently renovated whilst other rooms still look quite old and dated. The room obviously was designed for 2 persons but we booked it for 3 and had enough bedding and towels provided to stay comfortably.

We arrived some 6 hours before normal check-in but the kind guy who runs the graveyard shift let us check-in much earlier. This was definitely our life saver!

We also had paid a little extra for continental breakfast but even though 'continental' is considered light, this was a real disappointment! Very little in selection of spreads, whilst bread and pastries were old and stale. Definitely our biggest let down of the trip considering what you get.

Housekeeping was very thorough in their cleaning and unlike previous comments our room was extremely clean for a Motel and everything from soap to towels were changed every day. Kitchenette was also very handy.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank mko75
Reviewed April 17, 2008

What a disgrace. Don’t be fooled by the description of the hotel on the internet. This is by far the most appalling hotel I have ever seen.

When I arrived at the hotel I was appalled at the condition the rooms. The hotel was extremely unhygienic, and the smell of urine, stale smoke and dirt was unbelievable. The room was overall dirty, dark and I hate to think when the last time they cleaned the linen and bathrooms properly.

It looked more like a brothel and a drug den. I really would not be surprised if the rooms are rented on an hourly rate it was that bad.

The hotel certainly did not represent what the hotel is advertising. I travel around Australia and overseas regularly for work and have stayed in all sorts of accommodation but never have I seen such a disgraceful hotel as the Comfort Inn & Suites Flagg Staff.

Due to the condition of the hotel I was forced to find alternative accommodation in Melbourne at the last minute which was extremely expensive. I would have preferred to sleep out in the street rather than stay in the hotel. The staff advised that if I wanted a better room I would have to pay an extra fee on top of what was already paid. The better rooms were no better than the original rooms offered.

Where are the rooms they show on the website I am wondering?

When booking the accommodation I was aware that it was older style accommodation, which I was fine about. The unhygienic conditions however are not acceptable.

Beware.

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank Veda83
Reviewed April 15, 2008

We booked this motel because of its location as well as the fact that it had limited free on site parking virtually in the CBD of Melbourne and for under $100 Aus a night!
This motel is an older style - it lacks a lift but the staff did offer to help with our bags so that was a plus.
The room - was a family room - a double bed, a single as well as double bunks along with a toaster, jug, microwave and fridge and a reasonable sized shower/toilet.
Rooms were very clean and plenty of clean towels. Also - plenty of tea, coffee and milk for those of us who drink more than 2 cups a day!!
It is no more than a 5 min walk to Queen Victoria Markets (foodie heaven) or to Latrobe Street where there is a free City tram that does a loop of the CBD.
Would definately stay there again - and feel we definately got value for our money - and we are pretty fussy these days!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hulinea
Reviewed December 28, 2007

I booked this hotel completely over the net and I have to admit the hotel wasnt what I expected. The speil and images painted a different picture in my mind. Oh well !!!

Given that, it was comfortable and provided the basic necessities for what I required it for.

Location: It is situated on Dudley St and it is in close (walking) distance to the Victoria Street Markets. We walked into town and to the harbour including the Crown Casino. If you dont like to walk then it has public transport via trams and buses very close by. If you cant be bothered with that then taxis would be pretty cheap considering its location. I loved its location and provided closeness without being inside the hussle and bustle of the city.
I also hired a car and enjoyed the free parking availability that the hotel provided.

Rooms: Dont get too excited, they arent much but they do provide for the basics. A bed, shower, toilet, TV and free Foxtel (that was a bonus). Yes, you do have to walk up a set of stairs but I wouldnt have described it as 2 flights rather than a split staircase leading up one level. Hardly worth mentioning.
The rooms are narrow and its a bit squashy if you want to use the throne (toilet). There is a common area in between the rooms where smokers gather but as a non smoker I didnt notice any smoke inside the rooms or did I notice any conversations or traffic noise despite some people congregating outside. Actually, I thought that it was good value for money.

Service: I cant say a bad thing about the service. The beds were always made and rooms cleaned and staff were pleasant.

Recommendation: Yes, the rooms are nothing special but it does have a lot of positives. If you want value for money then this will be suitable for you, if you want lavish accomodation then open the wallet and over double what you would spend at this hotel.

I would stay again....

Hope this helps.......

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Chizzel
Reviewed October 26, 2007

We booked our accommodation via the internet on a 'last minute' website that offers accommodation at discount rates. We had done this for the accommodation at the beginning of the trip and were happy with our room. We arrived at this hotel and were surprised there was no lift in the complex so after lugging our luggage up two flights of stairs we found our room in a dark corner and the room was very disappointing. The traffic noise was shocking and when people were outside in the courtyard the smell of cigarette smoke and their conversations travelled straight into our room. The bathroom had a terrible smell whenever the shower or toilet were used (like there was a damaged pipe). When we advised the front desk they were less than concerned.

We acknowledge we booked this at the last minute at a discounted rate but we did still expect a room that was quiet, clean and a generally good level of customer service.

The hotel is also a wee way off the beaten track but if you are prepared to walk or taxi everywhere that is fine (which is what we did).

3  Thank tiger96_nz