“Great location”

Melbourne Marriott Hotel
Ranked #11 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights. The room was comfortable but no opening windows. I did feel a bit closed in as had to exit the building and stand in an alley to have a cig. Probably did me a favour but I like balconies and they have non.
We did really enjoy the food in the restaurant and the cocktails were excellent.
It is within walking distance to the main shopping areas.

Room Tip: Away from lifts as they are old rattlers
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,638)

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I was here for a week while doing some work. I paid to upgrade to a suite, but all rooms feature clean modernist design that I found attractive. The executive lounge was comfortable and offered great food and surprisingly good wines. The pool area is a bit run down. Gym was mostly adequate. Staff was uniformly friendly and helpful. Good value.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Jack_3B,

Thank you for the review!

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our suite and executive level access. For just a small upgrade fee it is worth it for the extra space and living area!

I do hope we get to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Named my own price hoping for another property in the area and honestly wasn't expecting much from this hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised... very friendly staff... glass of champs upon arrival (Christmas day)... if I had to offer any complaints, only thing that comes to mind is one of the bath towels seemed to be brand new and never washed...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear aquatraxf15x,

Thank you for writing a review following your recent stay with us here at Melbourne Marriott.

I am glad to hear that you and your partner both enjoyed your stay and that we went above and beyond your expectations!

I do hope that we see you both back at the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Our family (2 adults and 2 boys) stayed at the Marriott Hotel for a couple of nights to attend the Boxing Day test in Melbourne. We could not fault the hotel - the staff were very friendly, the hotel recently renovated and the rooms clean and well fitted out, and any minor issue quickly sorted out.

We ate at the hotel restaurant on Christmas Day evening - the Christmas menu was very reasonable - and also had breakfast in the hotel cafe.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Staff hospitality, service and willingness to assist is very good and clear from the beginning. Some foyer renovations underway which seems to temporarily affect lift access. Rooms are ample size. The executive lounge is ok. Hotel location is good if your business is up and down Collins Street. The little things for me that would have made the difference is a clean iron (promptly replaced but not before I unknowingly marked my white business shirt) and the lack of bathroom basin plug to shave.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear ChrisW, Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you experienced problems with the iron and the missing basin plug; I understand how important this is and have shared your feedback with the team to ensure that this does not happen again. Please accept my sincerest apologies and do get in contact with me directly at the hotel on (03) 9660 1154 so we can discuss this further, and possibly see what we can do to make your stay more enjoyable during your next visit. Sincerely, Edward White.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I've stayed in a few other hotels downtown Melbourne over the years, but as a Marriott Platinum Elite member, I thought I'd try the Melbourne Marriott for my recent five days stay.

The staff were very efficient and friendly throughout but check-in, as a Platinum Elite member, could have been better - no explanation my room had been upgraded, no explanation of the Executive Lounge (just handed a photocopied letter!), and worst still, my key wasn't activated to allow me to enter the Lounge!

My room was very nice and clean, and a decent size with separate wardrobe area (I think the hotel calls this a walk in wardrobe but it isn't!) and good bathroom (which had a great walk-in shower). The wardrobe was a decent size but as in a number of other Marriott hotels I've stayed at recently, there were little or no drawers for storage.

My room was right next to the Executive Lounge, so wasn't that quiet... a lot of "corridor noise" outside (especially children running from the elevators to the Lounge), the cleaner(s) hoovering the Lounge at 4 or 5 am, plus all to crockery, food etc. being taken to the Lounge for breakfast in the morning. The Lounge was nice, but a bit small, with a good breakfast and other snacks throughout the day.

The hotel is in a great location and it is easy to walk to most tourist, shopping and restaurant areas downtown Melbourne.

I struggle to class the hotel as 5 star as it does not compare to the Langham or Park Hyatt, but it was fine for what I wanted and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Forthill81,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review outlining your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed the size and cleanliness of the hotel. With regards to your check in process this has been noted and will be followed up with the team, this is not best practice so I do apologize.

You are right in saying that we are in a great location, close to all the major theaters and shopping, and I am glad you got to experience these close by attractions.

I do hope that you consider staying with us next time you visit Melbourne.

See you soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

My daughter and I spent 3 nights at the Marriott a week ago and loved every minute of it. The staff were so polite and couldn't do enough to help us and make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Rooms very clean and quiet , didn't hear any street noise. I have a bad back so always concerned how beds will be- was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Bathroom quite modern and very clean. Hotel in great position to city centre - 5 minute walk to city mall and 3 minute to nearest train station We both absolutely loved our stay at the Marriott and if we ever need somewhere to stay again in Melbourne it will be the Marriott.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Size10,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed review following your recent experience with us here at the hotel.

I am so pleased to hear that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us.

I do hope we see you again in the not too distant future.