“Priceline "win"”

Melbourne Marriott Hotel
Ranked #11 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Named my own price hoping for another property in the area and honestly wasn't expecting much from this hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised... very friendly staff... glass of champs upon arrival (Christmas day)... if I had to offer any complaints, only thing that comes to mind is one of the bath towels seemed to be brand new and never washed...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear aquatraxf15x,

Thank you for writing a review following your recent stay with us here at Melbourne Marriott.

I am glad to hear that you and your partner both enjoyed your stay and that we went above and beyond your expectations!

I do hope that we see you both back at the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Our family (2 adults and 2 boys) stayed at the Marriott Hotel for a couple of nights to attend the Boxing Day test in Melbourne. We could not fault the hotel - the staff were very friendly, the hotel recently renovated and the rooms clean and well fitted out, and any minor issue quickly sorted out.

We ate at the hotel restaurant on Christmas Day evening - the Christmas menu was very reasonable - and also had breakfast in the hotel cafe.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Staff hospitality, service and willingness to assist is very good and clear from the beginning. Some foyer renovations underway which seems to temporarily affect lift access. Rooms are ample size. The executive lounge is ok. Hotel location is good if your business is up and down Collins Street. The little things for me that would have made the difference is a clean iron (promptly replaced but not before I unknowingly marked my white business shirt) and the lack of bathroom basin plug to shave.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear ChrisW, Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you experienced problems with the iron and the missing basin plug; I understand how important this is and have shared your feedback with the team to ensure that this does not happen again. Please accept my sincerest apologies and do get in contact with me directly at the hotel on (03) 9660 1154 so we can discuss this further, and possibly see what we can do to make your stay more enjoyable during your next visit. Sincerely, Edward White.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I've stayed in a few other hotels downtown Melbourne over the years, but as a Marriott Platinum Elite member, I thought I'd try the Melbourne Marriott for my recent five days stay.

The staff were very efficient and friendly throughout but check-in, as a Platinum Elite member, could have been better - no explanation my room had been upgraded, no explanation of the Executive Lounge (just handed a photocopied letter!), and worst still, my key wasn't activated to allow me to enter the Lounge!

My room was very nice and clean, and a decent size with separate wardrobe area (I think the hotel calls this a walk in wardrobe but it isn't!) and good bathroom (which had a great walk-in shower). The wardrobe was a decent size but as in a number of other Marriott hotels I've stayed at recently, there were little or no drawers for storage.

My room was right next to the Executive Lounge, so wasn't that quiet... a lot of "corridor noise" outside (especially children running from the elevators to the Lounge), the cleaner(s) hoovering the Lounge at 4 or 5 am, plus all to crockery, food etc. being taken to the Lounge for breakfast in the morning. The Lounge was nice, but a bit small, with a good breakfast and other snacks throughout the day.

The hotel is in a great location and it is easy to walk to most tourist, shopping and restaurant areas downtown Melbourne.

I struggle to class the hotel as 5 star as it does not compare to the Langham or Park Hyatt, but it was fine for what I wanted and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Forthill81,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review outlining your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed the size and cleanliness of the hotel. With regards to your check in process this has been noted and will be followed up with the team, this is not best practice so I do apologize.

You are right in saying that we are in a great location, close to all the major theaters and shopping, and I am glad you got to experience these close by attractions.

I do hope that you consider staying with us next time you visit Melbourne.

See you soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

My daughter and I spent 3 nights at the Marriott a week ago and loved every minute of it. The staff were so polite and couldn't do enough to help us and make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Rooms very clean and quiet , didn't hear any street noise. I have a bad back so always concerned how beds will be- was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Bathroom quite modern and very clean. Hotel in great position to city centre - 5 minute walk to city mall and 3 minute to nearest train station We both absolutely loved our stay at the Marriott and if we ever need somewhere to stay again in Melbourne it will be the Marriott.

Dear Size10,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed review following your recent experience with us here at the hotel.

I am so pleased to hear that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us.

I do hope we see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We have had a great couple of days at the Melbourne Marriott. Arriving early on our first morning from an international flight we were greeted with efficient concierge service and a friendly receptionist. Our room was ready so we could shower and then have a coffee in the Exec Lounge before going out to explore the city.

The room was very well appointed and had plenty of hanging but limited drawer space. There was a large safe for laptop, passports, etc. The bathroom was well fitted with a nice large shower but no bathtub – not a problem for us as we prefer showers but it is noted that a number of new and refurbished Marriotts seem to be preferring the “shower only” option.

Breakfast in the Exec Lounge had a wide range of fruits, breads and hot and cold items and excellent coffee and juices. In the evening there were snacks and a good range of spirits, wine and beers as well as soft drinks.

We eat both evenings in the Hotel Restaurant and found the food and service was excellent. They could have done more to publicise the specials and with some meats off the menu it was quite a limited choice – but more than sufficient to cover us for our two evenings. Given this is Australia and eating in-hotel the prices were fair.

Checkout as concierge services on departure were equally as efficient as arrival.

In all an excellent stay and will come back if we return to Melbourne.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear yhi904,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review following your recent experience with us here at the Melbourne Marriott.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the front office service and all of our food and beverage outlets.

I do hope to see you at Melbourne Marriott again soon.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Very disappointed. Toaster provided but no knife to butter toast. Booked and paid extra for 4 people, but only 2 glasses & 3 towels & 2 bathrobes provided, you do the maths. Had to fill the kettle from the ensuite, no kitchen sink, no microwave. On leaving the valet driver parked our brand new car (only 6 days old, & still on the first tank of fuel) illegally in a No Standing area protruding into the lane of traffic over bicycle lane. Clearly outside their designated valet parking area. Where we found our BRAND NEW car scratched on the rear right side. The Hotel staff wouldn't take ANY responsibility leaving us to fit the bill for the vehicles damage. What was meant to be a great family weekend in Melb with my daughters seeing Taylor Swift in concert on Sat and the plan was to do Xmas shopping on Sunday as a family, which never eventuated as we were all too upset, so drove 2 hrs back home. I will NEVER stay or recommend the Marriott Hotel to anyone!!! PLEASE PLEASE CHECK YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE YOU LEAVE & HOPE & PRAY THEY TAKE OWNERSHIP WHEN THEY CAUSE YOUR VEHICLE TO BE DAMAGED.

Room Tip: Valet parking - Check your vehicle on leaving for any damage and don't expect the Marriott to ta...