“Lovely surprise”

Ranked #8 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely surprise”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We went to the Marriott as part of a lastminute deal where the hotel was a surprise. I must admit I was a bit sceptical that the hotel was the 5 stars it purported to be. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The room on the first floor was spacious, modern and had its own balcony/ courtyard looking out at the pool.

Upon my arrival and check-in I was offered a complimentary champagne. I said that I would love one but would wait until my husband arrived from work. I stated that he was entitled to be late given it was his birthday. Imagine my surprise and delight when we arrived back from dinner later that night to find a bottle of white wine chilling, a box of chocolates and a happy birthday card for my husband. I didn't think this kind of thing happened anymore! Thank you to the Marriott! You really blew us away with your thoughtfulness and generosity.

Room Tip: First floor had lovely outside courtyard with view of the pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melliodora

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed here in Nov 2011 during my biz trip as Westin was booked out. Alas I have been treated to perfection so perhaps my expectations were high. Unfortunately as I was paying the same for Westin and Marriott I was expecting something similar to Westin.

The front desk\concierge were pretty awesome and helpful. The biggest plus here was the free internet but as my company pays for the internet (due to my mobile) it didnt matter but it would if were travelling myself.

Room was nothing short of a let down. Carpets were stained, bathroom had old school type of faucet (one cold and one hot, we all know how hard it can be at times). The wash basin really tiny compared to the dual I had in Westin. The bed and study table were of decent quality.

I had a second booking with them which I cancelled and went back to Westin as for the exact same price you get a lot more with Westin.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I spend alot of time traveling for work and I must say one of the most pleasurable hotels I stay in is the Melbourne Marriott.

The staff are friendly and helpful. The location puts it right in the middle of wherever you might want to go. It's walking distance to museums, restaurants and cafes. Situated close to Federation square you can get a metro ticket for use on trains, trams and buses to almost anywhere.

The rooms are always clean and spacious and all amenities are superior.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Carol D
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I had a one week reservation at the Marriott while looking for a permanent accomodation in Melbourne. Well all did not go well with the house hunting and one week turned into 5 weeks. Being Gold members we had access to the executive lounge. The breakfasts were excellent and evening tidbits were a dinner buffet with curries and pastas. A full bar with a lovely variety of wines, beers and liquors. ALL staff including George the General Manager, were more than welcoming and every request or problem was solved immediately. The staff made us feel like family during a very difficult time in our lives. We have stayed at luxury properties worldwide, and while other hotels might have more glamour, this Marriott stands alone in the exceptional degree of customer service. Rooms are very clean and the beds are extremely comfortable. A big plus for the business traveler is that there are enough powerpoints in the room for mobile phones and computers. Room lighting is also excellent. The value for the room was outstanding. We actually were considering staying at this hotel for our entire year in Melbourne. Other guests we met in the executive lounge were equally fond of this hotel. We were very sad to leave our Marriott family.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ZippyRoo
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Our family of 4, 2 adults & 2 children, stayed one night in a room with 2 large double beds on the 10th floor. Great sized room, clean and fresh. Super comfortable beds. Friendly staff. Great location for theaters, shopping, MCG etc. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel is ideally located in Melbourne close to all attraction, you can walk to most or a short taxi ride to others. The rooms are clean and spacious, service is excellent, ammenities are of a high standard and the staff are very helpful. You will not be disappointed, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Any room is fine, it's the location of this hotel that matters.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Collingwood2011
Virginia USA
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The location of this hotel is ideal! We were able to walk to all of the things we wanted to do. On our first night there it was raining and one of the employees noticed we did not have an umbrella. He quickly secured one for us from the Concierge and told us to return it when we got back. The staff was very thoughtful, the rooms were quite spacious and very clean and the food that was served was excellent. This was one of the best Marriott's we have stayed in, and we have stayed in many.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family