“great location”

Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon
Ranked #66 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My friend and I spent 3 nights in a 2 bedroom apartment with kitchenette it was very good value the location was so good staff were very obliging overall a good experience would not hesitate in booking same again when next in Melbourne

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Val S
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear Val S,

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that our apartments were good value for money.

We look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon

Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband booked this Hotel and the location to Lygon Street cafes was amazing the tram only a short walk away.Good value hotel if going to the theatre which was the reason for choosing this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful and allowed us to have a late check out as well.
Good price and location.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Sheree H,

Thanks for your review. I will pass on your comments to the team.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Overall my stay at the Downtowner was great.

The location is just excellent - an easy walk to Fitzroy and Collingwood, Lygon St cafes and restaurants, the CBD, Carlton Gardens, Queen Victoria Markets, etc.

My room (executive suite, room 111) was a corner room - quite spacious, neat, clean and comfortable (especially the bed). There was lots of storage space and the bathroom in particular was big for an inner city hotel. The wifi is free (thank god) and the TV has some basic cable channels (although my partner was disappointed there was no Fox Footy in a Melbourne hotel).

The desk staff were very polite and helpful, particularly Olivia who helped me with printing some concert tickets and answering my questions about the best way to get to places.

A couple of little niggles - the sound-proofing of the windows against the traffic intersection noise from outside could be better, the bathroom mirror light was not working, bathroom tap badly needed a new washer - but these were pretty minor issues and overall I was very happy with my stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LaurenA1

Dear LaurenA1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely detailed review.

The most pleasing aspect for me when reading it was that you found our team on the desk helpful, and it gave me a lot of pleasure to pass on your comments to Olivia specifically.

Our hotel does suffer a little from the hustle and bustle of Lygon street, and although all rooms are soundproofed and double glazed there can be some noise at the front of the building.

It was good to hear that you made use of our free WIFI, something all hotels should do in my opinion, and I take on board your partners suggestion to get Fox footy - we have recently reinvested with the Foxtel movie package.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope to see you on your next visit.

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just spent a week at the Downtowner and couldn't be happier with the level of service and friendliness of all the staff. We happened across the place as we were walking to check out another place further down Lygon St - I'm so pleased we stopped.
The proximity to everything meant we could ditch the hire car and walk everywhere. CBD, Vic Markets, museum, old goal, free city loop tram, Nova cinema... we ate most nights somewhere along Lygon St - so much food!
As we were leaving the girl on reception checked us in with our flights back home, printed the tickets and organized a shuttle bus to the airpirt, let us leave our luggage - mostly without us even asking - she sorted it all out within a couple of minutes.
Oh! And the bed was incredibly comfortable :-) We will be next time we are in Melbourne.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank LucaRain

Dear LucaRain,

Thanks for your fantastic review.We are really pleased you stopped in too!

I am pleased you made the most of great location and the easy 5-10 minute walk will get you to many of the top Melbourne attractions.

i am also pleased my team went above and beyond to assist you and ensure you got off safely.

Come and stay again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

What a people and a hotel! The staff are very friendly and understanding. I arrived on July 18th 2014 and stayed up to 27th. I found the bed comfortable and the room was always kept very neat.

On the day of departure the Hotel surprised me and my team. We were given a flexible checkout time much later than the usual, to stay on, relax and fly later in the day at 9pm to Dubai (a flight of about 13 hours). This was very helpful for us. We will certainly choose this hotel again anytime we are in Melbourne.

Room Tip: I find the higher floors quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Franklin A

Dear Franklin A,

I am really pleased my team were able to look after you with a flexible late checkout. I was happy to read that we looked after you consistently well though out the 10 days you were with us.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights for my visit to Melbourne. We arrived late at night but check-in was prompt and efficient. We had a room for three, and the bed was comfortable although the sofa bed was a little springy. It is convenient if you want to explore the city, as it is walkable to the Old Melbourne Gaol (Jail museum), State Library, Queen Victoria Market, Flinders' Station etc. The basic breakfast costed $10, which include really minimal fare (bread and cereals), and $20 (if I'm not wrong) for hot breakfast (eggs etc). The location is excellent for dining in Lygon St. Parking cost $10 a day, which is rather affordable, especially in the city. Wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank BelindaL_17

Dear Choroki,

I was pleased to read that you found us convenient walking distrance from some great Melbourne attractions.

Thanks for your review.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is a good choice if you want a clean hotel near the CBD. The bed was very comfortable and I loved the large plush towels. The place is a bit noise due to the homage of early 1970's architect but I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the stairwell/elevator
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Tammy W

Dear Tammy W,

Thanks for your review, please come and stay again.