“Great but noisy location”

Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon
Ranked #64 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Adelaide
“Great but noisy location”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed a couple of nights and found the hotel to be a great option for the Carlton and City areas ... Apart from the noise. The room was clean and spacious so offered good value for money in that respect but as we were located on the Lygon St side of the hotel is was pretty noisy. It was really the only downside however its a big one because neither of us slept particularly well.

Would I stay there again? Yes, but I would request a room as far from the street as possible.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Phil B,

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall.

We can certainly accommodate requests on the Southern side of the hotel away from the bustling Lygon Street. Please let my team know when you make your next reservation.

Kevin Birchall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This converted motel is fantastically situation on Lyon street, close to a bevy of fine restaurants, Melbourne baths and the CBD. Plenty of street noise but well appointed comfortable and modern rooms. I had a suite, it was spacious clean and the bed was excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WernMachine
Dear WernMachine,

Thank you for your review and I am pleased you found our location so convenient in a cosmopolitan part of the city.

Kind Regards

Perth
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here in early October on business. I found the hotel to be of a good standard, clean and well appointed. Its location is fantastic. Short walk to the CBD and being right on Lygon Street the food choices are varied and plentiful. Taxis readily available from right in front of the building.
The check in was quick, very helpful and friendly.
I had breakfast in the dining room and you could either have a continental or the full hot, fresh cooked breakfast. The selections of cold food was excellent and the quality of the cooked breakfast was also first rate.
i choose a King Spa room which fronted onto Lygon Street so was a bit worried if the noise may affect my sleep, but i had no troubles at all. Didn't hear the traffic noise at all.
Overall a good choice. Once again I was guided by Tripadvisor and it didn't let me down. if I ever had to go back to Melbourne I would not hesitate to stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank westozman
Dear westozman,

Thank you for your descriptive review about our hotel and breakfast offering in particular- we have found that many of our regular guest really appreciate the continental selections and still get their hot food prepared fresh to order. I highly recommend trying our a la carte or room service menu in the evening as well.

We look forward to your next stay.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The title of my review summarises our stay. Also very good price on Last Minute. We had 2 rooms for a Saturday night stay whilst we attended a party in Collingwood. A little too far to walk but plenty of taxis both ways.
We needed access to both rooms to set up some flowers...no problem. Need a vase, of course.
Then the rooms...spacious,.comfortable king size bed. Plenty of pillows, Nice sized flat screen TV and all the usual amenities. Spacious bathroom so we could both get ready at the same time. Loved the big make up mirror and the full sized mirror. Not a fan of showers over baths but the step made it easy to negotiate. Plenty of hot water and nice shower head. Good quality bath towels. We wondered whether the room would be too noisy but not so. The rooms at the back are more shielded from the busy noise of Lygon street. Only 2 small things we could complain about.....no clock/clock radio and the iron was of the "dry" variety and we needed to iron some clothes....ok but steam would have been better. Overall we thought the room was good value for money and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
1 Thank judykbee
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear judykbee,

Thank you for your comments and I was pleased to read your detailed descriptions of the towels and bathroom in general- it is unique point of difference to have such large bathrooms.

I apologize for the absence of a clock radio or steam iron. We provide both on request, please let us know on your next visit if you need anything to make your stay more comfortable.

Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Good location -- one city block from the Queensberry tram stop (trams run from Southern Cross station, which is where the bus from airport takes you). Endless choices for dining up Lygon Street -- tons of cafes and Italian restaurants -- very good coffee and food. One or two block walk to the Melbourne Museum -- a very worthwhile visit. The facility is slightly outdated, but it is very clean and the beds are very comfortable. Front desk staff is professional and helpful. We stayed 2 nights -- very happy with our experience. I Pricelined the room for $120/night -- $276 total with taxes for 2 nights. This was reasonable, but I wouldn't deem it worthy of the $200/night standard rate.

Room Tip: Traffic noise can be heard if your room is close to Lygon -- ask for a room to the side toward the b...
Dear Jennifer D,

Being so close to the cafes and parks in Carlton as well as many of Melbourne top attractions makes us a very popular location, and I am pleased you were able to take advantage of it all offers.

Thank you for your comments on the front desk team.

General manager
Port Fairy, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I visit Melbourne very frequently and usually stay in the Southbamk area in in the CBD. For some reason on this top, my hubby booked us into the Downtowner on Lygon St and we will stay there from now on. Our room was comfortable, clean and a good size. Our welcome on arrival was of a very high standard, much better than some I have had of late. The thing that sold me was the location. On both nights we were able to wander up Lygon St and get lovely dinners.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Amy A,

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and found our location suitable for visiting all the great restaurants on Lygon street- on your next stay i can highly recomemd the great restaurant in the hotel; but I may be a little biased in this opinion...

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next trip.

General manager
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The Downtoner is a comfortable option if you are looking for an average hotel in Melbourne. Although we thought we were paying just over $200/night, we were happy to find a 2 bedroom for a cheap price.. Beds OK, Shower did NOT work properly and decor is again.. average.

I was willing to forgive all the negatives until we actually recevied a bill for $275/night on check out... Much more then what we orginally agreed on (make sure you get the initial agreement in writing if you book over the phone and confirm that you ACTUAL receive the follow up email).
There are MUCH better places to stay for this price but this is a great spot if you want to be close to Lygon (these days Lygon is a bit over rated).

Room Tip: if you book over the phone, make sure you get the initial agreement in writing and confirm that you...
Dear RJD01,

I appreciate your comments, but I am really disappointed that you found us only average. Were there other negatives apart from the shower and the average decor of the room?

All reservations are sent a confirmation email with the rates and room type, so I sincerely apologize if we did not send it through correctly.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you come and stay with us again.