“Walk to the City, Exhibition Buildings or Fabulous Lygon St!”

Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon
Ranked #66 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 9, 2013

A friend and I stayed here last weekend for 2 nights in a twin room. We were very happy with the room - great shower, comfortable beds, plenty of space, free parking .... but the best part is how close this hotel is to everything in central Melbourne. You are at the City end of Lygon St (so you certainly won't go hungry or thirsty!) and it is an easy walk into the CBD for shopping, theatre or sight-seeing. Apparently if you check in via Facebook when you check in physically at the Hotel you get a room upgrade - unless you have a twin room for some reason. Worth trying! Had a concern about housekeeping as when we returned on the first day our room was cleaned, but it looked like the bed cover had just been pulled up and the cleaners had played trampoline on the beds! Wasn't a big drama - just odd. And yes - it is noisy - from the cars on either side, AND from people and their wheely cases at all hours of the day and night (think the first one started around 6.20am....) Earplugs are a traveler's best friend!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank hoot60
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear hoot60,

Thank you for your review of our comfortable beds, showers and car parking facilities. I am sorry that your room was tidied to correct standard and I have asked my housekeeper to ensure our team put a focus on straightening and presenting our beds better.

The Facebook is available and I am sorry you were not able to take advantage in the twin room style- we only have twin room standard, so there would be no option to improve the room type you were in( same would apply for our deluxe apartment- being this is the best room type available)- but absolutely with all other rooms and availability. Find us on Facebook anyway as there are often special offers published to take advantage of.

There are newer reviews for Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Whenever I visit Melbourne I stay at the Downtowner. It's easy to get to from the north and parking is never an issue. I find the location to be ideal as I usually have a few food cravings to satisfy at the local restaurants in Lygon Street. I stayed in a King Room last night and it was spotless. Bed was comfortable, no complaints. The only thing that I could suggest to anyone planning on staying there is to check their website for special rates, and book online. I did this and saved big $.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank David L

Dear David L,

Thank you for the perfect score- I am pleased as a repeat guest you rate us highly in all aspects.

As you mentioned getting to the hotel is really easy and means you can leave the car on site whilst you explore without the hassle of finding parking in the city- which is always a joy!

Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Great staff , nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are nice, big beds. We ate at the restaurant last night and Kayleen was an amazing hostess. She added so much to our evening. Her smile greeted us again at breakfast which was lovely and beautifully presented. The only disappointment in the restaurant was the wine list with a very poor $8 Chardonnay on the list at $30 and was the only choice.
We were there for a board meeting and the room was great and lunch and morning tea very nice.
Thanks guys well done

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Wildfire57,

It is always great to get feedback about one of our team, who have made your stay particularly enjoyable. It gave me much pleasure to show Kayleen your comments.

I am also pleased you had a good conference with us and enjoyed the teas and lunch.

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I found the Downtowner a really nice Motel our room was clean fresh and the bed huge and extremely comfortable. There was ample parking on the premises which is great if you drive from somewhere, it can be hard to find somewhere in Melbourne with parking. Being a smoker it was good as when I rang I told them this and they gave us a room where you could just walk out your door onto the balcony. Getting food is extremely easy on Lygon St, plus a restaurant on site. It is also not far from everything Melbourne has to offer. We went Rod Laver Arena Taxi was on time after ordered by staff for us.Great Motel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Cynthia G,

I was very pleased to read your comments on your stay with us. Our location and on site car park make us a very convenient base to leave the car and explore Melbourne's attractions many of which are literally on our door step, such as the Lygon Street restaurants and cafes.

Please come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

What I liked most was the hotel's convenient location on Lygon Street, very close to great restaurants. Staff were friendly although not all together helpful. Room was clean and presentable each evening of my stay. Would've appreciated cable/Austar/Foxtel on the tvs, reception wasn't perfect. The corridors at night had bad accoustics and enabled a lot of road noise and wildlife noise which made for not very good sleeping, but I was happy enough with the comfortableness of the bed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Midniteandshadow,

Thank you for recent review and I am pleased you found our beds comfortable.

I apologize for noise in part of town and I am also sorry my team were not particularly helpful, and this is certainly not what we are renowned for.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Paid $204 dollars for a nights stay and the room was dirty. In the bathroom on the ground there was clearly not my hair or my daughters as we have long hair someone else's short hair all over the ground. The room are just dirty the pellets are black looks like they haven't been cleaned for years, even the mini bar chips and nuts had dust all over them actually looks like the oom hasn't been used or cleaned in a long time. My daughter had to sleep on a fold out bed, the shower you couldn't even move in it and of all things the bar fridge was in the bathroom ith the toilet (ah what's with that) , one of the towels had strange looking marks on it no way would we use it, all in all there was no way this is a four star motel. I don't mind paying big dollars for a room but I don't like feeling that the room hasn't been cleaned proply just felt dirty. Any way we won't never stay at this place again and like the saying goes a bad word gets around quicker than a good word.

Room Tip: Request a look at the room before you take it.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Irene S
Kevin B, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Irene S,
I am disappointed to hear that your experience at The Downtowner on Lygon Hotel was not at our required standard.
The housekeeping team join me in apologising for you and your daughter's stay. We pride ourselves on cleanliness throughout the hotel and I apologise that you did not find this on your stay. All of your comments have been thoroughly discussed with my housekeeping team as we endeavour for your experience not to be repeated by any other guest.
If we can be of any further assisatnace, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
Lynne Chepanidis on behalf of Kevin Birchall.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

There seems to have been some changes in management since I last stayed at this hotel. These are for the better and I felt very comfortable dealing with all of the staff.
My ongoing disappointment is breakfast. I was offered a cooked breakfast which I thought would come with toast - would be nice to be given the heads up on that one. Would also be good to find a better wy to cook toast than those slow conveyor arrangments that many motel use these days.

Room Tip: Book rooms towards the east and south side of the complex. If on the street, make sure you close the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank scoresby6

Dear Scoresby6,
Thank you for your review.
We are pleased that you noticed some positive changes on your last stay at The Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon. Our team pride themselves on professional service.

We have recently changed the service of breakfast, we have extended the selection on the continental buffet and hot food is now a la carte. This has improved the freshness and quality of the hot dishes. However, I appreciate your honest feedback in regards to the toast, this information will give us the opportunity to improve our service even further from now on.
If there is anything else we can do on your next visit , please "Just Ask".
Kind regards,
Lynne Chepanidis on behalf of General Manager, Kevin Birchall.