“Health hazard --questionable conditions”

Vibe Hotel Carlton Melbourne
Ranked #101 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed at Vibe Carlton and was extremely disappointed at the condition of the room & lack of facilities, which were stated to be included. The shower recess had mould growing on bottom and walls
. The tea making facilities, refrigerator & utensils are stored in the bathroom, which is a bathroom toilet area. There is no way to seperate cups & saucers from toilet. This is disgusting. Very much a health hazard and I feel contrary to Health regulations.

I arranged to a buffet luncheon to be served & found the meal extremely basic & lacked the normal additions for a buffet luncheon as per other Vibe hotels. We were charged maximum dollars.
. About 4 years ago, I had a fall on the crazy pathway at the back entrance.
I was told that full repairs had been made. I tripped this time but fortunately did not fall..Repairs have not been made. This is still very dangerous.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anne H
Anthony H, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Carlton Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Anne H,

Thank you for taking the time to review Vibe Hotel Carlton and the valuable feedback. I do apologise that you feel the pathways are dangerous we are currently working with our construction team on a solution to replace the slate walkways in the near future. Our restaurant generally does not open on public holidays however we did in fact open especially for your lunch and it disappoints me that you did not feel we offered value, I will be sure to follow up with the chef and ensure that we look at amending our special buffet offerings. I am unsure of your comments regarding the tea & coffee making facilities as they are in a small alcove that is next to the bathrooms however not in the bathroom as stated and sectioned off with a wall and door keeping the areas both separate which poses no health issues at all. We are currently refurbishing our bathrooms and have completed all of the internal wing with the external wing underway currently and due for completion in the coming months. I do apologise that you felt uncomfortable and know that our helpful team would have been more then happy to offer you a room move had you mentioned your concerns during your stay. We are always more then happy to assist our guests with all requests during their stay to ensure a pleasant stay is had by all. Again thank you for taking the time to review and should you wish to discuss further please contact me directly at the hotel.

Anthony Hutchinson - Hotel General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,025)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

My room was in the front block facing Queens Parade and was very comfortable and clean. The bath would be a little tricky for the elderly or immobile to get in, but the bathroom facilities were great. Also, if you are unused to the white noise of constant traffic outside, you may have a little trouble sleeping. A note about room-service breakfast; I nominated the earliest time-frame available 6.20-6.40am as I had to be somewhere at 7am. My breakfast turned up at 6.45 which was unacceptable as I had to go. I also found the smelly room service trays sitting out in the hall all night (and till at least 7am) off-putting.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road would be quieter, but I had heard that the back section were not quite as c...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Anthony H, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Carlton Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear cathy_haynes,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review Vibe Hotel Carlton. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. I do apologise for the delay in room service breakfast and will pass this information onto our chef and service team along with the concerns regarding the collection of the trays which should be completed overnight for dinner service. Again thank you for the review and we hope to welcome you back to Vibe Carlton or one of our Toga Hotels in the future.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Arrived about 5pm, after a 7 hour trip with a baby only to be told I have to pay an extra $50 a night bond. So that was $150 out of our budget, but then told " it's ok you will get it back when you check out". What a joke. Room was filthy,curtains had stains and food on them, carpet was stained and disgusting. Paying an extra $10 a day for parking when you are staying there anyway was odd, most motels in the city don't even charge extra for parking. Vibe hotels have most certainly lost our business and any of my family's.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Alesha21
Anthony H, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Carlton Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Alesha21,

The team and I would like to thank you for taking the time to review Vibe Hotel Carlton. All hotels in Australia take a credit card bond on check-in, this is to cover incidentals such as room service, mini bar, internet and movie charges. This is explained on all websites and on our own confirmation letter to ensure our guests are aware however we will look into the placement of this to ensure it is more visible. Our hotel does charge $10 per night for parking however you can park for free on the street from 10pm - 6am otherwise the Council charges $4 per hour and we have had guests receive parking tickets which is very costly. Most City hotels charge upwards of $25 per night for parking in Melbourne. We do have packages on our website that include all services (parking, breakfast and internet) which work out to be great value for money. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your review in more detail as I am unaware of our rooms having dirty carpets or curtains and if so we need to address this immediately. We strive to offer a clean and comfortable hotel at a very reasonable price. Again thank you for taking the time to review Vibe Hotel Carlton and please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel should you wish to discuss your stay further.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Some of the reviews on here are clueless. Yes it's a little isolated, if your definition of isolated is needing to take a 8 minute tram ride into the city. I found the service polite, helpful and 24/7. The facility, whilst obvious an older building, has been nicely renovated & the rooms basic but quite functional. For such a well priced hotel, how can you go wrong?!?

Room Tip: The wing parallel with Royal Parade is definitely nicer, not too noisy (windows sound double glazed...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Techydude71,

The team and I at Vibe Hotel Carlton would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We agree that the location be it not in the City still very accessible by tram (only 8 minutes) and close to amazing shopping and restaurants of Sydney Road, Lygon street and Brunswick. Our hotel is a 60 year old gem that has been refurbished to modern standards and we ensure that the room rates from $109 per night reflect our location and the product. With all new beds we offer a great night sleep at a great rate. Again thank you for the review and we hope to welcome you back to Vibe Hotel Carlton or one of our Toga Hotels in the future.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

If this were classified as a hostel for backpackers then it would be five-star. If it were a hotel, however, it would have some surprising weaknesses. The building seems like an old 1960s office block, with wind-swept open concrete stairwells at the back, but it has been done up rather well, with a startling lime green arch across the front and a large and welcoming reception area with helpful and friendly staff. My double bedroom was huge and really comfortably furnished, but the bathroom was very small and basic. The WiFi was a mystery and I never succeeded in getting it to work. The breakfast buffet was crude and the pastries awful. The location on Royal Parade is beautiful but a long way from anywhere except the two Universities. There is a tram stop nearby with a good service into the city centre.

Room Tip: Better view at the front but quieter at the back.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Colour-Professor
Anthony H, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Carlton Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Colour-Professor,

The team and I at Vibe Hotel Carlton would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. The team will be pleased you found their service to be friendly. You are correct that the hotel was built in the early 60's as a hotel and we have refurbished the property recently however opting to keep the original 60's charm with the added modern conveniences. The rooms are all larger and comfortable with new beds, flat screen TV's and all the mod con's one would expect. The downside is that whilst we have updated the bathrooms they are still slightly on the smaller side, however quite functional with bathtubs, which is often a hard find in a hotel room.

Our location being not a City Hotel does offer a quiet base for travellers just outside of the city. A short eight minute tram ride will find you in the heart of Melbourne in one direction and a short fifteen minute walk or five minute cab will take you to the wonderful Lygon Street dining precinct.

Again thank you for the review and valuable feedback. We do hope to welcome you back to one of our Toga Hotels in the near future.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I really enjoyed being here because the staff are so friendly and genuinely helpful!. Thanks everyone. I would recommend this place for its convenient location to Melbourne Uni, and Monash Uni. Stayed 4 nights -s quiet enough to work on my laptop, any gripes I had were quickly sorted.I was given a quieter room when I asked for it ( poolside) They make great coffee and have a sandwich bar as well as a restaurant. No 19 Tram right out the front that goes straight to Flinders station so if you have kids you can visit the aquarium etc easily (8 minutes on tram to Flinders) 5 minutes walk to the zoo ( just around the corner. Hotel Pool is actually as large as photos make it look with a nice little gym and spa. 5 minute taxi ride to Lygon street restaurants in Carlton ( fed the kids pasta) - hey- and the Melba Hall is down the road and so is the Union Theatre! (4 minutes on tram) I will certainly stay here again. For a single traveller, especially, this place is an excellent balance of value, cleanliness, safety and good location. Brunswick 4 minutes by tram going north. Older person- restricted mobility bathroom on ground floor such a nice touch too. Well Done!

Room Tip: Ground flr overlooking pool seems quietest; reception side balconies would benefit from clear scree...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Rosie J,

Thank you for taking the time to review Vibe Hotel Carlton we appreciate your time and feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team dealt with any issues immediately and with a smile. We try to ensure that all of our guests requests and needs are met. The hotel does work very closely with Melbourne and Monash Universities for all of the academic needs.

Our location be it not in the City Centre is still very close with a short tram ride and just a stones throw from Lygon Street & Sydney Road dining and the Melbourne Zoo which is great for families. We try to ensure that all of our guests feel welcome and safe whilst in the hotel and are happy that you felt both.

Again thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we hope to welcome you back to Vibe Hotel Carlton next time you visit Melbourne.

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I can't complain about the service or the actual hotel itself - just hated the location. Was there on business and at the end of a long day felt quite stranded - feels like a long walk to anything - no nearby restaurants etc - maybe if you had a hire care etc then worth it. Certainly quiet as its opposite a large park

• Stayed: February 2013
Anthony H, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Carlton Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Lookinoutallover,

The crew at Vibe Hotel Carlton would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you found our service to be friendly and the hotel clean comfortable and affordable. Sorry to hear that you didn't like the location. Carlton is only a short ten minute tram ride from the City and we are spoilt for shopping and restaurants very close by on Sydney Road only a two minute tram ride or ten minute walk away. Our own restaurant is also available from Breakfast, Dinner & Room Service.

Again thank you for the review and we hope to welcome you back to one of our Toga Hotels in the near future.