“1 day stay only Dec 2012, would stay again based on my stay”
Review of Vibe Hotel Carlton

Vibe Hotel Carlton
Ranked #95 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed just 1 night in December 2012. Easy to find, nice relaxed surroundings. Initial hotel frontage presentation was encouraging, with a small smart lobby.

We arrived very early, 8am, for checkin (which is normally 2pm, or similar). After 24hrs traveling, the front desk attendant was most accommodating to find a room available straight away so we could rest. +1 for friendly flexible service.

Initially walking to the room, I was a little concerned by the dated exterior to the building. But upon entering the room, I was pleasantly surprised. I think mentioned by management they have been refurbishing somewhat, and I found the room to be modern looking, very clean and the styling quiet but inviting. Crashing on the bed I was so surprised how comfortable I found it. The bed was unusually soft (at least compared to the usual Asian hotels I stay in), usually I do prefer harder mattress, however no complaints at all from me.

The room was quite spacious, and was furnished with ample places to sit, with a desk/chairs, plus the normal LCD TV and mini fridge. I didn't use any internet services, so I don't know if they are available.

The bathroom is not quite to the same standard of the room, however I found it to be clean, and suitable for its normal uses! Just be careful of the bath/shower, as it is very slippery...so note to VIBE management - some attention there might be a suggestion, especially as it is a little bit of a climb getting in and out. As usual, the towels are designed for children, not larger adults, but a minor complaint, as it was clean and modern linen.

I didn't try it, but the pool looked clean and inviting. The hotel provides onsite parking at $10/day, IMO quite reasonable.

I was happy with the location.I can't be fussed using public transport, but noted the tram ran out the front door, likely bus routes too. Location wise, it is virtually next door to the zoo and a large open parkland, with the City centre very close by car. Lygon St was easy to get to (I used a car, but probably easy by public transport too, or a walk for the enthusiastic) for all sorts of meals (Thai, Itallian, Pizza, Kebabs, French, Steaks etc etc etc).

Someone in another review noted nothing close (eg convenience store). Late night/very early morning hunger forced us to easily find a 7-11 500m or so down the road, and upon getting back I noted some snack/drink vending machines in the lobby. There is also a cafe onsite, but I did not try it.

So far my review is very positive, however 1 negative thing I can note. Not the fault of the hotel or their service, but if you are a light sleeper this may be an issue...noise insulation. Our room was on ground floor facing the pool. It appears the age of the building shows with poor insulation between rooms and doors that don't "pad" their closing. I found doors closing, people talking and even people walking past the room to be quite intrusive noise wise. To me this is a minor issue, but may make others stay less pleasant.

Checkout was quick and efficient. I had booked for a late checkout, but couldn't remember what time that meant, so ended up checking out at the normal time. Whilst some businesses may take advantage and say I booked it I pay for it, but VIBE did not charge me for this unused feature, and I commend them on this, with either their good policy or sensible staff for not imposing this. This is the stuff that makes excellent customer goodwill IMO!

Even if this was just 1 night, I would most certainly recommend this hotel for a comfortable stay, and efficient helpful staff. I will stay again should I stay in Melbourne in the future.

Apology about the somewhat messy photo presentation, but I was dead tired when I took them. (I like to review all the hotels I stay in, so always take photos of the accommodation)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank APD-AUS
Anthony H, Manager at Vibe Hotel Carlton, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear APD-AUS

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review of your stay with us. It's satisfying to hear that you enjoyed the refurbished rooms & new beds! The team were delighted to hear your kind words in regards to their service and flexibility. We appreciate you taking the time to share with other travellers & hope to see you during your future visits to Melbourne.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Vibe Hotel Carlton

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I had the most enjoyable stay at the Vibe Hotel Carlton, during my recent business trip to Melbourne. It was the first time I have stayed there and it was perfect for my needs. The rooms were spacious, clean, and stylishly decorated. The bed was wonderfully comfortable. All of the staff members were friendly and helpful. I travel a lot and I take a teddy bear with me, and it was very sweet of the staff that made my bed each day to thoughtfully place my teddy bear neatly propped up against the pillows in the middle of the bed. It’s little touches like that, which add warmth to your stay when you are away from home. I will be sure to always stay there whenever I visit Melbourne.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Threasa M
Anthony H, Manager at Vibe Hotel Carlton, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Threasa M

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay with us. It brings the Vibe Carlton team great satisfaction to hear we've won you over as a loyal guest. We look forward to welcoming you back, again and again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We were very excited to pay so little for our room at the Vibe Carlton. However, you get what you pay for. The shower was terrible! Mold and mildew all around the bottom even after the room was given its daily cleaning. Also, some sort of soap scum/residue on the soap dish. Gross! Another tip: don't go for the full breakfast. The best parts were all part of the continental breakfast. On a good note, the location is nice and central to many cool neighborhoods so we were happy about that. However, we won't be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rasweet
Anthony H, Manager at Vibe Hotel Carlton, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Hi Rasweet

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Vibe Hotel Carlton.
I appreciate the time you have taken to provide me with your feedback. In relation to the points you have raised I have addressed your concerns with my team to improve our overall guest experience.

I would value the opportunity to discuss these issues with you further. I can be contacted directly at the hotel on (03) 9356 8800

Thank you once again for providing me with this feedback and I look forward to discussing with you further.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

The Vibe is a good hotel which I stay at quite regularly, professional staff, good rooms but can be a little difficult to get if you don't book in advance.
Not the biggest fan of the food though, but you can always order a delivery to your room.
I prefer the balcony rooms in the newer section, but all the rooms are spacious and comfortable.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are better in my opinion.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Chris P

Dear Chris P

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay. It’s pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our team professional. We are currently in the process of improving our Breakfast Buffet and I hope you will be impressed on your return.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I booked two rooms 60 days in advance and asked for quiet rooms with a view of the pool and balcony if possible. We stayed 6 days and my sister 5 days. Upon check-in we were given room #317. This room was overlooking the front street where the trams run and the windows were thin (noisy and dirty/moldy). We had a terrible nights sleep due to the noise and the fact that we were sweating. The next day we realized the mattress cover had the plastic upwards and the fabric to the bed! The bed was very soft and felt like it was a cheap 10 year old bed!
My sister got room #114. Right next to the ladies bathroom, the reception, and the walkway to the pool and parking lot. each morning they were woken by the music from reception and the staff talking, plus people going to the loo all the time. On the first night there was a large group of Chinese guests who arrived at 2am am proceeded to drag their luggage across the cobble walkways! She couldn't be bothered asking for a different room, plus the hotel was fully booked last Saturday.
We demanded to be moved to a better room. They gave us #312 that overlooked the pool... Sort of! The room was much quieter although the landings were noisy when people pulled their luggage across the slate brickwork. UGH! They had put two single beds together to make one bed and again, it was like an old well used bed! The mattress pad was correctly put on though. The shower stall leaked bad - thank goodness it had a drain in the floor! We don't think the room had been vacuumed prior to us getting it. Yuk - clumps of hair on the floor. The bathroom was grimey too!
The pool looked nice but was dirty with leaves. There wasn't a scoop available for us to use. There was a gym, spa tub indoors, and a sauna, plus pool towels.
Each room had a mini fridge plus a kettle.
Overall, the hotel was just ok for the money because the hotel costs are expensive in Melbourne, but would have given a better review if we had been given better rooms, and they were cleaner!
By tram it's about a 25 minute trip to the city center via the #19 tram.
A $50 taxi ride to the airport.

Room Tip: Away from reception, elevators, or stairs, and not overlooking the Main Street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Viki M
Anthony H, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Carlton, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Viki M,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review Vibe Hotel Carlton. Thank you for the detailed review which I have passed onto the team to ensure we can enhance our offering. You will be pleased to know that the hotel has this week replaced almost all of the old beds with new sleep maker comfort beds and the final delivery arrives on Monday to ensure all guests have a comfortable sleep. We do try to ensure that all guests requests are met by allocating rooms that are requested however as you are aware in a full hotel this can be difficult however in the case such as yours we did offer to move you to a room at the rear of the hotel when one became available. Our swimming pool is cleaned daily however and I am sure you are aware that being an outdoor pool and in Melbourne’s wind we do get a few leaves blown in from time to time. I have passed on the comments to housekeeping as this is not the normal high standard expected from the team. We do hope you will return to Vibe Hotel Carlton or one of our Toga Hotels in the future.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

This hotel was booked for us by Quantas as part of our tour to Australia, in our opinion it was too far outside the city- we had to catch a tram every time we wanted to go into Melbourne , there were no restaurants, shops or bars nearby and after arriving around 9.30 am after a 9 hour flight we were basically told " you can't check in until after 2.00 pm", no offer of anywhere to freshen up or a suggestion of having a coffee or breakfast in the restaurant, when we did get our room it was appalling- it appeared more like a downmarket motel room, the bath was chipped , tiles in the bathroom discoloured with damp, the window above the door, which led directly onto the concrete walkway in front of our room , didnt close properly and rattled continuously day and night. A card was provided for you to leave on your bed if you wanted them to make up your room and clean the sink in the bathroom- I would have expected this to be done automatically not on request!, we tried eating in the hotel restaurant one evening and had to go and find the waiter in the kitchen as there was no-one in sight even though there were around 8 people in the restaurant waiting,all in all this hotel really disappointed and spoilt our stay in Melbourne.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank webboWales

Dear webbowales,

My team and I would like to thank you for taking the time to review Vibe Hotel Carlton and firstly say how disappointed we are that you feel we spoilt your stay in Melbourne. Our hotel is not located in the city heart of Melbourne and this should have been advised to you by Qantas when you made your booking with your agent. We do like to inform all of our guests that we are a short 15 minute tram ride into the city and we ensure our room rates reflect this. We are however a five minute tram ride to bustling Sydney Road and Brunswick which is full of Bars, Cafe's and Restaurants serving varied cuisines and our team always have the time to offer recommendations. Our check in time is 2pm however we will always assist when possible to have or rush a room for a guest who arrives early on a flight and we do have showers and change rooms available for freshening up. I will definitely speak with our team as to why this was not offered to you on this occasion, and I again apologise for this short coming. Our hotel promotes a Green Clean which is an environmentally friendly room cleaning service hence the card on your bed, this is only performed if you place the card on your pillow otherwise a full service of the room is performed daily, and we apologise if their was some confusion caused by this service and the wording of the card as we do service the rooms daily. We have been working with the restaurant team to ensure that service levels are improved and as such have added additional team members to assist with our busy room service department that often takes the team members from the restaurant floor. Again thank you for the review and we apologise that Vibe Carlton did not live up to your expectations. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at the Vibe hotel on a conference visit at the Monash pharmacy school, which is more or less right next door to the hotel.

The hotel's architecture is a classic example of underwhelming 60's/70's style, but has been renovated inside to give a more modern, funky vibe (pun intended).

Front desk staff were polite upon arrival, rooms are a reasonable size with a decent enough area to set up a laptop and do some work if needed. Bedding was reasonable, good size tv, but bathrooms a little small perhaps.

The best thing about the hotel is the value for money. It's not an upmarket hotel, so if that's what you're looking for this hotel isn't for you. However, highly recommended if you're visiting the parkville Monash campus or looking for a cheaper alternative than city hotels.

• Stayed: November 2012
Anthony H, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Carlton, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear DrMattSykes,

I would like to thank you on behalf of the Team and I at Vibe Hotel Carlton for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad that you found the team to be friendly and polite and that the hotel was convenient to your needs during your time in Melbourne. We are currently finishing off some soft refurbishment items to further enhance the quality of our product with the replacement of all hotel beds to be completed by the end of November 2012, which will ensure all of our guests have a pleasant night sleep. Great to hear that you find the hotel to be value for money as we try to ensure that we offer quality product at affordable prices.

Again thank you for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Vibe Hotel Carlton on your next trip to Melbourne.

Anthony Hutchinson - Hotel General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Docklands
Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne
#61 of 160 in Melbourne
Central Business District
Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank

Been to Vibe Hotel Carlton? Share your experiences!