Causeway Inn On The Mall
  • Fitness center
  • Room Service
YTI Garden Hotel(Melbourne)
View Hotel
All reviewsbourke street mallopposite myercontinental breakfastgreat locationrooms are smallyogurtthe heart of the cityqueen roomdavid jonessmall fridgeshopping triptea and coffeebudget hotelshort staybed was comfortablewould stay here againreception staff
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I couldn't believe how close we were to DJ"S, hidden away in a lovely little arcade.
Yes, small rooms, but we were only there to sleep, new bathroom, comfy bed, quiet ,all we needed.
Parking was a walk away but costing $6.50 for 2 nights, what a saving.
Great little restaurant next door, reminded me of Paris

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SandypHobart
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Excellent location on Bourke St Mall for a Mothers Day shopping weekend. We stayed in high level twin room. They were small in size and bathroom tiles could do with updating but they were clean. Bathroom pipes from nextdoor rooms can be heard but acceptable considering the location and price of the hotel stay. Basic continental breakfast included. Street is quiet at night so no street noise can be heard from the rooms
Since cars have no access to Bourke St, you need to wheel your luggage through Bourke St Mall for pick up/drop off on Elizabeth St (closest cross street)

Preferred to stay at their sister hotel Causeway Hotel on little Collin st (just a short stroll from this hotel)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have stayed at the Causeway Inn On The Mall many times. The rooms are nothing flash, and a little on the small side. But they are clean, and appointed well enough. The price, cosidering it's right in the middle of the CBD, is pretty good. The breakfast is a little lacking but there are several cafe's right outside if you require more than a continental breakfast.

On this latest stay I found the water temp in the shower varied widely from freezing cold to scalding hot at random times.

Again, the big draw here is it's location. There are several tram lines, train stations and attractions easily within walking distance. I'll be back when I am next in Melbourne.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights. Our mistake was pre paying for the apartment. When we entered the property we found the bathroom was disgusting. The shower base was filthy and the rest of the bathroom tiles weren't much cleaner. We asked if we could have the bathroom cleaned again before we unpacked, however we were " advised" that the shower wasn't filthy it was grout from the new tiles that had been layed. Conceding defeat my wife and I went and brought sandles so we could stand in the bathroom.

Also my wife and I received a call from reception at 6.30am telling us that an alarm had gone off in our room and they were on their way up to check it out. When we answered our door we were acused of smoking. I understand that they have to check the alarm but my partner an i don't and never have smoked. We also had to ask for more soap and toilet paper to be replenished daily.

This is meant to be a three star hotel however in my opinion would be flat out cracking the 1/2 star mark.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank smith7602
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Couldn't ask for a better location right in the middle of town. My room was a decent size with twin beds and a couch. I liked the touch of an iron and ironing board as well as the complimentary toiletries. I found a box of tissues and the hair dryer in a drawer. The TV screen was on the small size but was adequate. The room was clean as well as the linen and the beds were comfy. The room was on the side of the building so no view but it was very quiet. There is two lifts but this isn't a problem. On the down side the breakfast is very poor for $12.50 and with cafes literally on the door step, you're better off eating there than in the hotel. The whole place is a bit tired and the fittings in the bathroom were coming out of the walls. The hall way outside the room smelt strangely of mutton or cabbage but the actual room smelt fine. On checkout, the staff attempted to charge me for 3 breakfasts even though I was by myself. When I pointed this out they said it was for the previous day. As I had only stayed there for one night this was not a possibility and they had to concede. Would recommend this hotel mainly for the location.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms could be noisy. Eat breakfast elsewhere.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo