We stayed for 4 nights in January for the Australian open tennis at Melbourne Park. The location of this hotel I would score 5 out of 5. It is very easy to get to Melbourne Park from here, about a 20 minute easy walk which felt very safe. You are just around the corner from the main shopping areas, less than a 10 minute walk to Flinders Street Station and about a 15 minute walk to Southern Cross Station (where the Skybus to Melbourne airport arrives and departs - costs $16 one way and takes around 20 minutes). To be honest we could not have chosen a better location for what we needed.
When entering the hotel reception there was a strange odour a bit of a sewerage smell, not sure whether there were problems with the drains but the odour was present every day.
The staff at the hotel were always polite, friendly, efficient and helpful.
Our room was a standard room and as other reviews have mentioned expect small - as that is what you get. There is a kettle, tea, coffee and milk provided together with complimentary toiletries.
- Very peaceful - had no concept of the city noise outside which was great so you get a good nights sleep
- Good strong door which makes you feel very secure in your room
- It would appear the bedroom had been recently (maybe a year or so) painted as the paintwork was clean and not chipped
- Access to the first lift is accessible via your room key card which helps secure the building
- In room safe was large enough to fit a laptop, cameras, lenses and many other things
- Generally the room was clean and comfortable
The not so good
- The bathroom has no windows, a poor extractor fan and there was a lingering foisty smell (quite strong). It would appear that the bathroom did not get updated when the bedroom was painted - the sealant around the shower has turned black
- The fittings in the bathroom were not all securely fixed
- The shower head is strangely angled so you have to stand almost against the wall to get the spray
- The fridge was very small and aspects were broken (cooling element hanging off and the rail which secures bottles was missing)
- TV reception is appalling on the small LCD TV. We obviously wanted to watch tennis (when not at Melbourne Park) but the picture was so bad in the room that you just could not watch it. We called maintenance who was very helpful and tried to resolve it for us but apparently it is an issue in all the rooms (particularly with this channel). You can watch the large TV in the lounge (which we did in the end) as this has a digital reception so the picture is very clear. However, when the cost of a room includes a TV you do at least expect to be able to watch it in your room.
We didn't use the wifi (as it's chargeable) or have the breakfast so cannot comment on those.
All in all if you want to stay in an excellent CBD location then this accommodation fits the bill. If you want a non-budget room then choose somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Bourke Street Mall, the vibrant heart of Melbourne, Causeway Inn On The Mall is situated in a prime position opposite the GPO shopping complex and Myer department store. Causeway Inn On The Mall's central location makes the hotel ideal for the business and leisure traveller who wish to be in the hub of Melbourne. The hotel is surrounded by lively cafes, fashion & accessory boutiques, Melbourne's famous shopping arcades and major department stores such as David Jones and Zara. Trams and trains are just minutes away from the hotel, providing convenient access to shopping strips such as Bridge Road, Brunswick Street and Chapel Street as well as the DFO South Wharf shopping centre. Melbourne's cultural, sporting and entertainment venues are all a short walk from the hotel, including The MCG, Hisense Arena, Rod Laver Arena, Federation Square, Etihad Stadium, the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne Gaol, Regent Theatre, Crown Casino complex and the Southgate precinct. Attractions such as Luna Park in St Kilda, Melbourne Zoo and Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit are all accessible by tram within a few minutes. Causeway Inn On The Mall prides itself on offering comfortable, well-appointed rooms at affordable prices in the heart of Melbourne. Room facilities include a bar fridge, in-room safe, air conditioning, ironing board & iron, tea & coffee maker, LCD TV with selected Foxtel channels and en-suite bathroom with shower. Facilities at the hotel include a business centre with internet and printing facilities, guest laundry, 24 hour reception and tour desk. The hotel has a discount parking arrangement with Wilson's Galleria car park located at the corner of Little Collins and Elizabeth Streets. Should guests require airport transfers and tours, reception staff gladly oblige to assist with bookings. A hotel that is value for money offering friendly service in a quiet atmosphere in the centre of Melbourne. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Causeway Inn On The Mall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Causeway Inn On The Mall Hotel Melbourne
- Causeway Hotel Melbourne
- Causeway Hotel On The Mall